DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Rules in Scotland

HudsonHawk56

Reactions
I'm heading to Scotland in the fall of 2022. I've been on multiple sites, read many pages, but a lot of it is "legalese". I'll be flying a Mini 2 so I'll be under the 250g weight.
I do have the Drone Assist app, and know the basic rules for flying this sized drone, and understand the NFZ that are pretty common sense. What I don't know are particular rules to Great Britain that may be important to a foreigner.
I'm looking for a local person that can explain it all to me.
Thanks in advance for ANY info.

In my experience, the easiest thing to do is simply email the appropriate governing body, in this case the UK Civil Aviation Authority, and ask them. Not only are you getting information from the best source, you can keep record of that correspondence should you get into any sort of trouble. I've emailed many similar organizations in various countries and was always pleasantly surprised by the response time and the quality of the response - I think they are happy people are trying to follow the rules.

When I was last in Scotland, the main thing to watch out for aside from being generally responsible, is birds around the cliff areas and the wind around coastal areas can be extremely strong. It can be very rainy as well.

Looks like their rules are pretty clear though, and written for the average person to understand:

there are some small differences to the laws in Scotland not so much with regards to the rules for actually flying your drone
its more to do with rights of way ,and landowners giving permission to be on their property
the Scottish legal system does have its own take on many laws, and i would try to find out as much as possible about how they may be different to the rest of the UK, the CAA is only responsible for the airspace over and around the UK

Hudson, you lucky man visiting God's wee acre. I'm confident that you can take off from, overfly and land on any beach between high and low tide lines - depending of course on normal safety rules being applied. Enjoy your visit.

I am also going to Scotland but in April of 2022. I went online and took the "Drone and model aircraft" test and got my proof of completion. I then also registered my Mini 2 and got my "GRP" number. It was inexpensive. DHL delivered my certificate and registration from the UK right to my house in the USA. The Brits have mail down to a science. My wife's British renewed passport got her from the UK before my USA passport got here!

I am also going to Scotland but in April of 2022. I went online and took the "Drone and model aircraft" test and got my proof of completion. I then also registered my Mini 2 and got my "GRP" number. It was inexpensive. DHL delivered my certificate and registration from the UK right to my house in the USA. The Brits have mail down to a science. My wife's British renewed passport got her from the UK before my USA passport got here!
Hi AVLJMA. I'm going on 5 November for a month, then again in February until the end of March to a tiny place called Port William on Luce Bay on the south-west coast.

I heard that is beautiful down there. We are doing 3 days in Edinburgh then driving northwest to Isle of Skye.
I am hoping to get some great pics of the cliffs over there.

I heard that is beautiful down there. We are doing 3 days in Edinburgh then driving northwest to Isle of Skye.
I am hoping to get some great pics of the cliffs over there.
There's certainly plenty to shoot on Skye - it's stunning. Have a look on Google maps at an island called Gigha. It's further south but well worth a visit if you have time. It's my favourite island.

Gigha. Thanks! My wife is still planning the latter part of the trip. We will look into that tonight.
I appreciate the tip. My wife and I are in our mid 60s. She was born and raised in the New Market, Thetford area.
We've been all around the southern part of England but never to Scotland. It has been on our list for a few years.
I am anxious to see Scotland's rugged beauty.

Gigha. Thanks! My wife is still planning the latter part of the trip. We will look into that tonight.
I appreciate the tip. My wife and I are in our mid 60s. She was born and raised in the New Market, Thetford area.
We've been all around the southern part of England but never to Scotland. It has been on our list for a few years.
I am anxious to see Scotland's rugged beauty.

Rugged starts when you get north of Perth on the A9. This road is policed by 'average speed cameras spaced about a mile apart for its whole length so watch your speed. Scottish plod loves speeders. Think its their highest revenue stream after whisky and oil.

Thank you! I am glad I connected with you. I will be sure to watch my speed on A9.
I will have to try the whiskey at the end of the day.

My sister lives about 20 miles from Thetford in a little village called Upwell.
I've been through Upwell. We made a circle driving north then to King's Lynn, Wells next the sea down to Great Yarmouth then to Norwich and back to Thetford. Spent time at her relatives place in Bury St Edmond. I love England.

If you like rugged have a look at the NC 500 - probably the best drive in Europe - a real adventure and a photographer's paradise.

I'm heading to Scotland in the fall of 2022. I've been on multiple sites, read many pages, but a lot of it is "legalese". I'll be flying a Mini 2 so I'll be under the 250g weight.
I do have the Drone Assist app, and know the basic rules for flying this sized drone, and understand the NFZ that are pretty common sense. What I don't know are particular rules to Great Britain that may be important to a foreigner.
I'm looking for a local person that can explain it all to me.
Thanks in advance for ANY info.
If commercial pilots can fly anywhere in the world without recertifying in each country why wouldn't Drone Pilots have the same freedoms? The GB Regs makes it sound like it would cost a few hundred dollars to register the Mini 2 with Cam and then certify to fly, even if you are Part 107 when it cost enough here in the US. Unless someone can clarify why that is, it seems like the Part 107 does not give you the same freedoms as a licensed pilot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk