DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Safe wind speed?

As long as you stay close to the takeoff point, mavic will fly safely in crazy high winds. I’ve flown in 30 mph winds just to show others how awesome mavic is. In these sorts of wind I’ve had flight time reduced to about 10 minutes as mavic has to work really hard to maintain its position.

For reference, it’s difficult for a human to stand in a 30 mph wind without getting blown around.

Use caution as wind speed typically increases with altitude. If winds exceed about 40 mph mavic will not be able to make any forward progress, even in sport mode and you may lose your bird.

I don't think mean wind velocity is a problem in itself, as long as it's less than 30-40 mph, but rather gusty winds that might result in the drone flipping over.

I've got a $15 anemometer which I consult before take-off, if prevailing winds feel strong. If there are strong gusts, I don't even consider taking off.

Dji_0116.jpg The winds aloft can be tricky. Sport mode is your friend if you find that the Mavic is losing its position. Usually occurs at about 30 mph wind speed or gust. Sport mode can usually get you back to your position (unless really far away) so you can land. Had this occur today when we had a thunderstorm about 6 miles away create a significant outflow draft of 35 MPH at 200 feet altitude. I am a meteorologist so I often go up to get a better view of localized thunderstorms but always go straight up and down to get the shot/video.

View attachment 43356 The winds aloft can be tricky. Sport mode is your friend if you find that the Mavic is losing its position. Usually occurs at about 30 mph wind speed or gust. Sport mode can usually get you back to your position (unless really far away) so you can land. Had this occur today when we had a thunderstorm about 6 miles away create a significant outflow draft of 35 MPH at 200 feet altitude. I am a meteorologist so I often go up to get a better view of localized thunderstorms but always go straight up and down to get the shot/video.

Is it too dangerous to fly near thunderstorms just like what you are doing? I imagined that the wind can be hard to resist in this kind of area.

Technically, according to the government safety guidelines..... " If you hear thunder, you are likely within striking distance of the storm. Just remember, When Thunder Roars, Go Indoors. "

If you live in Florida in the summer... you would hardly ever leave your home :).

As far a drone activities go... the biggest threat is from the downdraft of a "nearby" thunderstorm pushing your drone away from the normally stationary position. Being a meteorologist I can usually see when a gust "front" is coming and get down to the ground in time. If not, sport mode will allow you to get back home. I never "travel" when going up for the shots... just straight up and down. This works OK for localized thunderstorms. I would not recommend it when an organized line of storms is fast approaching. The winds with those system can easily get above 50-60 mph or more and you will watch your drone fly away.

I have a attached a nice lighting shot from a storm about 6 miles away.snapshot1.jpg

Reactions: JoBri
Do pilots have issues with mavic flipping over in gusty winds?
Someone may correct me but I cannot imaging a wind gust flipping over the mavic. A flip over would require unequal forces on each side of the Mavic and it is too small for a wind gust (which is much larger in scale) to do this.

Thanks... that storm was about 6 miles away and not moving much. It was a relatively safe situation.

Awts can't dare to do that I'm afraid that lightning will strike my drone :D

Hey guys,

Does anyone happen to know what is a safe max wind speed to fly the Mp in?

The MP has a top speed of 39 ish Mph. Take away the 9 to allow for gusts and you end up with 30mph to stand still against the wind. Depending on what speed you need, subtract from that.

The Mavic manual recommends not flying in wind speeds exceeding 10 m/s (22 MPH). While the Mavic is no doubt able to hover in higher wind speeds, there will be a point where it will start to make negative progress when flying into a headwind on its way back to the home point. If you're planning on flying in stronger winds, make sure you're flying with the wind on the way back.
Staying downwind is on my checklist after checking ATIS and DROTAMS no matter the wind speed.
The Mavic manual recommends not flying in wind speeds exceeding 10 m/s (22 MPH). While the Mavic is no doubt able to hover in higher wind speeds, there will be a point where it will start to make negative progress when flying into a headwind on its way back to the home point. If you're planning on flying in stronger winds, make sure you're flying with the wind on the way back.
Locate the homebase downwind is on my checklist right after checking ATIS AND DROTAMS even with calm winds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman