DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Screw too tight - brand new drone

brioni99

Reactions
Hello folks - 1st message here.

I received my Mini 3 Pro yesterday and upon inspection one of the propellers is screwed on too tight, meaning it doesn't move if I giggle the drone in my hand. I don't think that's a problem for flying because the centrifugal force is enough to move it in the right place, but that bothers me nonetheless.

I tried loosening it with the supplied screwdriver but it didn't budge, the screw was slightly damaged in the process. I'll order a proper screwdriver (Wera PH000 as read in other threads here) but I don't know if that will be enough. Should I reach out to DJI and ask them what to do? I've read a number of methods to use in this situation but I don't really want to have to use them on a brand new unit, with the risk of damaging it.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Attachments

• 70651C1B-7C4A-4C69-9828-89523410D9B2.jpeg
    70651C1B-7C4A-4C69-9828-89523410D9B2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
DJI will tell you to send it back,had the same issue with a brand new mini 2 and didn't fancy butchering the prop or screw head so asked DJI support for some advice. Just told me to send it to them and they sent me a brand new unit with a spare set of props.

DJI will tell you to send it back,had the same issue with a brand new mini 2 and didn't fancy butchering the prop or screw head so asked DJI support for some advice. Just told me to send it to them and they sent me a brand new unit with a spare set of props.
Thanks, I'll ring DJI tomorrow and see what they offer. Bummer having to wait for another week but it is what it is

So update on this I talked to DJI yesterday and they advised for me to wait on the better screwdriver to arrive, and if I still couldn't move the screw then, they'd replace the drone under warranty

Welcome to the forums! Personally I'd give it a few hours of flight. My guess is that the prop will loosen up just fine.

I did fly for a few hours already, what's your logic though, it would be concerning if the screws were loosening when flying?

The screws are shoulder type screws. They are designed to twist in to a certain point and stop. If you feel the prop is too tight, something is wrong and should be attended to. It’s possible the screw itself isn’t the issue and could be the motor bell that has the problem.
Send it back.

So update on this I talked to DJI yesterday and they advised for me to wait on the better screwdriver to arrive, and if I still couldn't move the screw then, they'd replace the drone under warranty

I did fly for a few hours already, what's your logic though, it would be concerning if the screws were loosening when flying?
The screws definitely are not going to loosen while flying. I meant the plastic of the prop will "wear-in." Additionally, there is a dab of blue Loctite on each screw.
You should be able to see/hear an abnormality if the motor is the issue. The entire aircraft would vibrate.

Reactions: brioni99
Doubtful. These little motors don’t have enough mass to create that kind of disturbance. If one of the two props came off, yes.
The energy produced is a product of the mass times the square of the velocity. A little mass and a lot of velocity can create a big fuss.

Watch this slow motion startup video:

Reactions: globetrotterdrone
The drone flies perfectly, because the prop gets in the right place when the motors start spinning. Haven't noticed any weird behavior once it is in the air (granted I'm a new pilot and maybe a trained eye would spot something)

Anyway for peace of mind I'll have DJI exchange the drone

The energy produced is a product of the mass times the square of the velocity. A little mass and a lot of velocity can create a big fuss.

Watch this slow motion startup video:
Sure. When both props are pointed in the same direction, that will be an issue. The op mentions a screw issue, which by itself will not be enough mass to vibrate the entire aircraft. If someone wants to fire up one of these drones without having the props in at least a close position for takeoff, vibrate away!

Last edited:
Update:

Sent the drone to DJI and received it back today. I was surprised to see that the prop was still not moving freely! DJI did untighten the screws though. So I took the prop off and found out that the rod on which the prop is mounted had a thicker "ridge" towards the top, brown ish color it looked like leftover glue or something. I carefully removed it with a nail filer and the problem is now solved. Slightly disappointing from DJI to send the drone back with only half the problem solved, but I'm glad to be flying again.

DJI to send the drone back with only half the problem solved
Not the first time for this kind of occurrence and probably won’t be the last. I went through a similar adventure when the Mini 1 came out. Probably not enough tech hands to keep up with demand and may not get better as this hobby(and all the mini’s being sold)gains popularity.

Reactions: brioni99
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123