DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

SD Card Unreadable in Windows (Any solution yet??)

What you've explained isn't normal.
You need to try some different cards.
I just posted a different thread about this exact problem that I'm having also. If I format in the drone, remove the card and plug into a card reader, my laptop sees it. When I take a short video or photo and try to dl from a card reader, the card isn't recognized. I've tried a different card with the same result, so, it's not the card. If I reformat in the laptop and use in the aircraft, everything is normal. I don't recall this happening when I first got my A2S this past January. BUT, there have been a few firmware updates since then as well. So, I'm wondering if this might have something to do with anything? I'll go with what works and hopefully not have to reformat again. Just direct delete old files off the card when needed.

I would recommend an SD card with A2 instead of A1 and U3 instead of U1, And V30, like this Sandisk Extreme Pro

cards are so cheap these days, it only makes sense IMHO, to buy the highest speeds ratings. I've been buying this one-
Amazon has the 64gb version for $13, and I bought several, swapping out after any important shoot. An hour of 4K 30 fps video takes about 22gb.

I don't know if this will fix your problem, or not.

I have had instances where the PC says the card needs to be scanned and fixed, which I do, and no subsequent problem, but not the "card must be formatted" problem you describe.

just my 2cents

It shouldn't make any difference, whether you format the card in the drone or the computer.
A little testing on the desktop might be in order.
Format the card and shoot 10 sec of video and see what works.
Try another card if you have no luck with that one.
I did just that. Formatted the card and installed it in the Mini 2. Flew around for a while, the controller running DJI Fly showing me the camera was working. But when I went to play back the footage, I found there was nothing there. The card was empty. I'm getting two Extreme SanDisks today, and will see if they work right out of the package.

Just bought a brand new A2S from B&H with the RC Pro along with a new Sandisk 256 Ultra SD card. Charged everything, did all the firmware updates, checked all my remote settings, etc.. SD Card went from the packaging straight into the A2S and was immediately recognized. I set the default to the SD card and formatted the card as well as the internal memory to ensure everything was clean. Went out for it's first test flight today and flew about 45 minutes. Got home and put the SD card into my laptop and it said that the SD Card needed to be formatted.

I've seen several incomplete threads here regarding the same issue. Some say to format it in the PC and not in the drone as the "solution" however is there a real solution? Looks like this was reported several months ago and there has been at least 1 firmware update for the drone since the reports. Anyone know if there's been a real fix?
I had the same problem with a SanDisk Extreme 128gb card. Even when Windows said it had formatted the card, I could not record anything on it. Formatting in the drone (DJI Mini) was the same thing. Tried formatting in the computer the long way, and it got to about 90% and quit. I decided there was no hope for that card. Replaced the card when I got a new SanDisk Ultra card, and it is recording up a storm. No formatting needed.

Are you plugging the micro-SD card directly into the laptop, or are you using one of those micro-SD to SD adapters? I find a lot of times those adapters are a major culprit to problems, sometimes just switching over to another resolves the problem immediately.

Also if the ultra card that was bundled isn't a "V30" but rather a Class-10/V10, it's going to be too slow for the Air 2S (150mbps) since V10 at best supports continuous write speed of 80Mbps (10MB/s), V30 good for up to 240Mbps (30MB/s, there's 8 bits in a byte, hence why 30 MegaBytes * 8 = 240 Megabits). But I can't imagine B&H Selling you something that slow with the drone, plus the drone would stop recording the moment the card couldn't keep up.

Hi All,

I am having this exact same issue. It's an Air 2S with RC Pro controller, both are running on the latest firmware.

I'm plugging 256gb SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I directly into the card reader built into my HP computer and it says it needs formatting.

If I format the card when I put it in the drone it's not recognized and I have to format it in the drone, it then works in the drone but gets the issue of needing to format on the PC again.

From what I've been able to determine the drone is formatting using Linux file format which the PC can't read.

I tried using a utility I have to convert the volume to exfat and then the computer reads it and I was able to copy the files over, but the drone needs to format it again when I go to use it there. While the files copied over VLC player won't play them after that conversion. Didn't try them in Adobe Premiere yet.

Anyone heard of this issue or a possible fix?

I did find a utility that adds a service to Windows to allow it to read Linux files, BUT its outdated and the service wouldn't run on my Windows 10 PC. Thought I would use it as a temporary work around.

I'm plugging 256gb SanDisk Extreme Pro UHS-I directly into the card reader built into my HP computer and it says it needs formatting.
Do you have this problem with other SD cards as well or have you only tried one?

Hi All,

I am having this exact same issue. It's an Air 2S with RC Pro controller, both are running on the latest firmware.

If I format the card when I put it in the drone it's not recognized and I have to format it in the drone, it then works in the drone but gets the issue of needing to format on the PC again.

From what I've been able to determine the drone is formatting using Linux file format which the PC can't read.

I tried using a utility I have to convert the volume to exfat and then the computer reads it and I was able to copy the files over, but the drone needs to format it again when I go to use it there. While the files copied over VLC player won't play them after that conversion. Didn't try them in Adobe Premiere yet.

Anyone heard of this issue or a possible fix?

I did find a utility that adds a service to Windows to allow it to read Linux files, BUT its outdated and the service wouldn't run on my Windows 10 PC. Thought I would use it as a temporary work around.
The format is most definitely not a Linux one. The standard from DJI says ExFat however there are actually more than one versions of ExFat. I've found that formatting the card in my PC works just fine in the drone so I never format in the drone. I recently crashed my 2s though and got a new one via refresh so I need to test if the problem still exists on the new one.

Do you have this problem with other SD cards as well or have you only tried one?
Having it with all of them. I just ordered one of the latest card readers, it's the only only thing I haven't tried yet. I'll update here if it works.

The format is most definitely not a Linux one. The standard from DJI says ExFat however there are actually more than one versions of ExFat. I've found that formatting the card in my PC works just fine in the drone so I never format in the drone. I recently crashed my 2s though and got a new one via refresh so I need to test if the problem still exists on the new one.
Windows shows the partition as "RAW". From my Google'ing it says that means Windows can't identify the file format, so I was assuming it was Linux since the controller runs the Google OS. I'm going to try a new card reader tomorrow so I'll update the post if that resolves it.

How old is your windows installation?

The Drone will format the card to either fat32 or exfat depending on the size and the air 2s specifically doesn't support more than 256gb, tho it shouldn't have a problem with a legit sandisk extreme card of that size or smaller.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada