DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Seeking Technical Feedback on Panoramic Drone Footage

bbertram

Reactions
I'm reaching out to the community for technical feedback on my recent panoramic drone footage. I'm looking to refine my technique and would appreciate your expert insights.

Equipment and Settings:
  • Drone: DJI Air 2S
  • Video Format: MP4, HLG 4K60, Capcut used for minor editing, HDR preserved.
  • Mode: Automatic
  • ISO: 100-110
  • Shutter Speed: 1/4000 - 1/5000
  • Maximum Altitude: 120m
Footage Details:

I've created two versions of a panoramic shot, rotating the drone to capture the surrounding landscape:
  1. Horizontal Orientation:
    To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
    For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
    (Minor color grading applied)

2. Vertical Orientation:
    (Raw footage, no color grading)
My Current Assessment:
  • The rotation speed appears too fast to me, likely impacting image clarity. I also think people may want to take it all in with a slower pace.
  • Automatic mode was used; I'm considering transition to manual settings for greater control of image quality...if it will help with clarity.
  • Color grading was applied to the horizontal version only. I forgot to touch up the vertical video before posting, I think it looks good still.
Areas for Improvement:
  1. Optimal rotation speed for clearer footage
  2. Manual mode settings for enhanced image quality
  3. Color grading techniques for consistent output
  4. Any other technical aspects I may have overlooked?
Specific Queries:
  1. What would be the ideal shutter speed and ISO settings for this type of shot?
  2. Are there any ND filters you'd recommend for similar lighting conditions and this type of video?
  3. Suggestions for achieving smoother panning motion?
  4. Recommendations for post-processing workflow, particularly for color grading HLG footage?
I'm aiming to develop a series of these panoramic shots in various locations to showcase unique aerial perspectives. Your technical expertise and constructive criticism are greatly appreciated as I work to refine this concept.

Thank you in advance for your professional insights.

Reactions: SparePartz
I'm reaching out to the community for technical feedback on my recent panoramic drone footage. I'm looking to refine my technique and would appreciate your expert insights.

Equipment and Settings:
Footage Details:

I've created two versions of a panoramic shot, rotating the drone to capture the surrounding landscape:

2. Vertical Orientation:
My Current Assessment:
  • The rotation speed appears too fast to me, likely impacting image clarity. I also think people may want to take it all in with a slower pace.
  • Automatic mode was used; I'm considering transition to manual settings for greater control of image quality...if it will help with clarity.
  • Color grading was applied to the horizontal version only. I forgot to touch up the vertical video before posting, I think it looks good still.
Areas for Improvement:
Specific Queries:
  1. What would be the ideal shutter speed and ISO settings for this type of shot?
  2. Are there any ND filters you'd recommend for similar lighting conditions and this type of video?
  4. Recommendations for post-processing workflow, particularly for color grading HLG footage?
I'm aiming to develop a series of these panoramic shots in various locations to showcase unique aerial perspectives. Your technical expertise and constructive criticism are greatly appreciated as I work to refine this concept.

Equipment and Settings:
Footage Details:

2. Vertical Orientation:
My Current Assessment:
Areas for Improvement:
Specific Queries:

Hi, bbertram, not a professional insight as I am more comfortable with still photography. Might you consider doing 360 (sphere) panoramas instead to show this beautiful prairie landscape? Then viewers can rotate the scene at their own speed, zoom in and out, etc.

Hi, bbertram, not a professional insight as I am more comfortable with still photography. Might you consider doing 360 (sphere) panoramas instead to show this beautiful prairie landscape? Then viewers can rotate the scene at their own speed, zoom in and out, etc.

I will give that try. I could offer both possibly. I will try one and see how it looks and works.

On a different note, I'm also trying to create a photo panorama but not one where you turn the drone but move the drone sideways. So you are making a stitched together much larger picture. Have you had much experience with that?

I will give that try. I could offer both possibly. I will try one and see how it looks and works.

On a different note, I'm also trying to create a photo panorama but not one where you turn the drone but move the drone sideways. So you are making a stitched together much larger picture. Have you had much experience with that?
My procedure to make larger images (thus far) is to use the drone’s programmed ability to shoot a 9 shot (3x3) pano or a 180 pano. I shoot as DNG files, stitch them in Lightroom, then do further tweaking in Photoshop for tone, colour and sharpness for very large printable files.

I particularly enjoy creating 360 degree panoramas. My latest drone (DJI Mini 4 Pro) takes 35 individual DNG files which I stitch in PTGui or the new Panovolo. I then again post process the final image in Photoshop and upload to Kuula.co for sharing.

Here is a sample (best viewed on a larger monitor):

Lastly, I would like to try your method of moving the drone sideways to make hyper stereo images.

Reactions: bbertram
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cam3n