DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sending a drone to DJI for repair....

psybear

Reactions
Hi all.

I was in serious head-on car collision recently, with my drone gear getting thrown about in the impact and suffering damage. The obvious stuff is a smashed gimbal, body misalignment, controller screen cracked and two of my three batteries with obvious damage. I'm out of warranty and have initiated the return process to DJI. I know that I can't send the batteries back, and I have removed the undamaged propellers as per instructions. So all that is going back is the drone body plus the controller. DJI haven't sent me my particular instructions re getting it to them (going to their Europe office in the Netherlands) and I'm wondering whether to send it back in the original box. Obviously it offers the best protection but I'd hate to have it returned in some other packaging....

Anyone any experience of doing this? If I send it in the original box am I likely to get it back?

Hi all.

I was in serious head-on car collision recently, with my drone gear getting thrown about in the impact and suffering damage. The obvious stuff is a smashed gimbal, body misalignment, controller screen cracked and two of my three batteries with obvious damage. I'm out of warranty and have initiated the return process to DJI. I know that I can't send the batteries back, and I have removed the undamaged propellers as per instructions. So all that is going back is the drone body plus the controller. DJI haven't sent me my particular instructions re getting it to them (going to their Europe office in the Netherlands) and I'm wondering whether to send it back in the original box. Obviously it offers the best protection but I'd hate to have it returned in some other packaging....

Anyone any experience of doing this? If I send it in the original box am I likely to get it back?
Sorry - I can't help you out with the drone portion of this post but hopefully you and anyone else involved were okay from the accident.

Things can be replaced, people can't.

Stay safe

Send it back in the original box.

Reactions: psybear
I had to send my Mini in. Have the Flymore combo so sending it in the original packaging was not an option. I keep a lot of Amazon packaging in case I need to send stuff to friends and family. Grabbed a nice little box, put a layer of 1/4“ foam, used a length of ”packing air pockets” along the bottom and both ends. Wrapped the Mini in a couple layers of foam sheet, put it in the box and added a couple more air pockets in the sides to make it snug. A couple more air pockets on top and a second layer of 1/4” foam to top it all off. You could shake the taped up box and there was no movement inside that you could feel. I’m interested to see how well it’s packaged for its return trip :)

These were the packaging instructions I received when I have had to make a claim in North America:

8. Pack your equipment safely. Include additional protection such as bubble wrap and packing peanuts. Keep in mind that any product shipped merely in its on-shelf packaging (i.e. the white Phantom box) is not acceptable and will automatically qualify it for invoiced repair. You can always place the product box or case in a cardboard box or the original backpack or case for your DJI product.

I‘ve always sent it back without the original box but wrapped in bubble wrap and using packing foam and air pockets to pad it out. Whenever it’s been a Refresh they send the new unit back in a new unopened box. When it was a repair they sent it back in the packaging I used.

Original box seal package and label well. Don’t forget to remove the sd card. Just bare bones and controller.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121