DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Settings for fireworks

MikeinMO

Reactions
Greetings. Monday is the 4th and my city is doing a large fireworks display to celebrate. My plan is to record it with my Mavic 3 while using audio recorders to capture the booms and bangs, along with the music it’s synced to. Then mesh it all together in Premier Pro.

I’ve never filmed fireworks with the Mavic 3 and I’m looking for some suggestions on the best settings.

Last year I filmed them with my Air 2s, and I believe I just filmed in D-Log with Auto settings, and then cleaned things up in Premier Pro. But I’ve got a lot more control with the camera options with the M3. Any suggestions? Thank you.

Reactions: Sripey and CKWUSA
Greetings. Monday is the 4th and my city is doing a large fireworks display to celebrate. My plan is to record it with my Mavic 3 while using audio recorders to capture the booms and bangs, along with the music it’s synced to. Then mesh it all together in Premier Pro.

I’ve never filmed fireworks with the Mavic 3 and I’m looking for some suggestions on the best settings.

Last year I filmed them with my Air 2s, and I believe I just filmed in D-Log with Auto settings, and then cleaned things up in Premier Pro. But I’ve got a lot more control with the camera options with the M3. Any suggestions? Thank you.
Thank you for posing the question many of us will be looking forward to this information. My community starts tonight!

Reactions: CKWUSA

I’m having a heck of a difficult time finding answers/suggestions regarding manual settings to video fireworks with the Air 2S.

I’m having a heck of a difficult time finding answers/suggestions regarding manual settings to video fireworks with the Air 2S.

bkushner, so far, seems to be the only one suggesting auto focus. Otherwise the manual settings suggestions have a wide variance.

bkushner, I do appreciate your input, however! That may very well be what I end up doing.

The key is to stay upwind of the smoke. Check the wind speed and direction before.
With a drone, you can easily change position, to get to the other side of the smoke, unlike the terrestrial fireworks videographers! I also find orbiting around the exploding fireworks helps to keep it dynamic and unique, with an interesting changing background. Auto for exposure works just fine! 4K at 30fps.

Last edited:
What settings did you use?
4K at 30fps 2x zoom on main camera only... normal mode with auto exposure .. i thought it was wonderful in low light and 28mph winds .. i strongly suggest moving to cine mode when altitude is reached, and slow movement helps a lot!

Reactions: CKWUSA
Friends don't let friends shoot in auto exposure. Night time is all about getting as much light as possible especially on a small sensor. Here are some tips:

24fps. It's better than 30fps day or night but especially at night because you get a slightly longer exposure for the same shutter angle which gives you more light.

ISO 800. You can try 1600 but with DJI you risk excessive noise and washed out shadows. Proceed with caution.

WB 4500K. Go lower for a more blue look. Just keep it consistent.

1/50 shutter. Standard 180º. If you want to get creative while letting in more light, try a 360º shutter (1/25). You will get more motion blur but that could be a nice look depending on what you're trying to achieve.

f2.8 (wide open). You need as much light as possible. You do risk over-exposing the fireworks plumes (or lights, signage, etc.) in which case you can dial it back a stop or two if you can afford losing some low-light detail. It's a trade off even on the best cameras. Wide open is also when most lenses reveal their weaknesses.

Auto settings 4K 30 fps D-Log worked great.

Friends don't let friends shoot in auto exposure. Night time is all about getting as much light as possible especially on a small sensor. Here are some tips:

24fps. It's better than 30fps day or night but especially at night because you get a slightly longer exposure for the same shutter angle which gives you more light.

ISO 800. You can try 1600 but with DJI you risk excessive noise and washed out shadows. Proceed with caution.

1/50 shutter. Standard 180º. If you want to get creative while letting in more light, try a 360º shutter (1/25). You will get more motion blur but that could be a nice look depending on what you're trying to achieve.

f2.8 (wide open). You need as much light as possible. You do risk over-exposing the fireworks plumes (or lights, signage, etc.) in which case you can dial it back a stop or two if you can afford losing some low-light detail. It's a trade off even on the best cameras. Wide open is also when most lenses reveal their weaknesses.
Thanks Ian, good to know from a pro

Reactions: polywogfpv

Thank you! I’ve been needing this.

Reactions: polywogfpv
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair