DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Severe horizon tilt in video

Medley

Reactions
Hi all,
Yesterday I took my new-to-me, almost new Air out for it’s maiden voyage over Lake Ontario. It was somewhat windy, and cold but not below freezing. When I got home and looked at the video (4K30), I noticed that there was quite a severe tilt to the left (that is the horizon was tilted left) in some of the video. It appeared to level out somewhat from time to time.
So I calibrated the IMUs and the gimbal at my house and took it out to the same location this morning. The tilt is much less than it was in yesterday’s videos, but it is now in the other direction (horizon tilting to the right).
I should mention that I have a lot of experience shooting video with the Spark and, while the yaw stabilization is electronic and shudders a bit in high winds, the horizon has always been absolutely level.
I’ve done a bunch of searches both here and in the Google-sphere and haven’t come across a really clear explanation as to the cause or a definitive solution. Can any of the resident experts here in the forum shed some light on how to resolve this?

Why don’t you do the calibration outside? It’s the normal area for the drone.

Why don’t you do the calibration outside? It’s the normal area for the drone.
I could see that making a difference for compass calibration (possibly), but what difference would doing the calibrations outside make when the only thing that is required is that the surface be flat for both IMU and gimbal calibrations?
I’m not sure I understand your reasoning.

Depending of what your house is built of, reinforced concrete or other material that can disturb the calibration I suggest you try it outside, what can it harm to try?

Anyone else have any suggestions?
I am more confident that levels are flat inside my house than outside, for what it’s worth.
Any other help would be appreciated.

Here’s what a wick search found. Maybe read in the threads.
I’ve already done the same search here in the forums and, as I mentioned in my post, really haven’t found a definitive answer.
I am wondering if there have been any more recent discoveries as to what the cause and/or solution might be.

Reactions: Thomas B
I’ve already done the same search here in the forums and, as I mentioned in my post, really haven’t found a definitive answer.
I am wondering if there have been any more recent discoveries as to what the cause and/or solution might be.
Post the videos so we can look?

Fly a few batteries worth and record video. See if the tilt is consistent in the videos (ie. All to the right or left). Once you know left or right. Go into the gimbal settings on a test flight and adjust the tilt to correct the deviation. The final tilt can be manually adjusted and this setting will remain static thru the gimbal calibrations until you reset it.

The gimbal mechanism sometimes gets off center and this is how it is corrected.

Fly a few batteries worth and record video. See if the tilt is consistent in the videos (ie. All to the right or left). Once you know left or right. Go into the gimbal settings on a test flight and adjust the tilt to correct the deviation. The final tilt can be manually adjusted and this setting will remain static thru the gimbal calibrations until you reset it.

The gimbal mechanism sometimes gets off center and this is how it is corrected.
Thanks for your reply; I will do so.

I also wanted to let you know that I know Dakar very well. In the 90’s I lived SouthEast of Kedougou in a small village for a number of years. Wish I had a drone back then :)

SE of kedegou? On border near Guinea?
I have not been in that region. Most of the rest of Senegal but not much south.
Were you with PC?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ