DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shanghai Drone footage - DJI Mavic 2 Pro

Hey guys,

just back from my vacation in China, where I took some great footage of Shanghai.
This city is just amazing:

If you have any questions about drone flying in China let me know.

Feedback welcome!

Thanks!

Hi, I have a question about flying in Shanghai.
I was there in early June. I took my Mavic Pro outside of my hotel by the river for a flight. It was not in a NFZ, and I got the usual message about the 'homepoint is updated. check it on the map.' I took off no problem and shot some nice pix of that huge bridge that has corkscrew on and off ramps. Then I hit the 'return to home' button, and got the usual 'returning to home' message. As i watched the drone coming home, instead of stopping above me and gently settling back to earth, it just kept on going! It flew over and beyond the top of the Intercontinental Hotel and out of sight. I then got a "Aircraft has lost contact with the remote control' message. I tried adjusting antennas, walking to different locations in the park area (hoping to reconnect) but I could never get it to reconnect. As I frantically tried to whatever, I'd occassionally get a message that "the landing site was not suitable' - land yes or no?" but I couldn't control it. After 20 min of this, battery time had to be up and the drone was gone. I assumed it was a DJI error (although THEY would not admit as much - my insurance coverage did not cover a lost drone). So now it's gone! When I got home, someone said the government probably took control and "Shanghai'd" my drone! I have no idea what happened. Any advice or insights? Thanks

The Shanghai mayor objected because it reminded him of the rising sun on the Japanese flag, so the round hole was redesigned with a rectangular one. I always thought it should be called the "YKK Building" because it reminds me of a zipper pull.
Well, I didn't know that ... but I know that YKK is a Japanese company, so in the end, he failed in a particular way. ;) ?

Wow amazing video. I wouldnt be unable to do that as it would be very stressful thinking drone to crash. Amazing from Chinese Authorities. I think Australia is worse than communist China or even Russia. Here its not really worth owning a drone really. The people also can be like ultra paranoid or pull the privacy laws. Wherever you go in the "lucky country"? Is it really worth owning a drone in the great southern land. Your not so lucky if you love aerial photography down under. Thats for sure. Sad state of affairs. On youtube Europe has lots of drone footage but Australia is limited like a police state and irrational groups unable to appreciate how drone aerial footage is

China is cool.
Love Europe!
Anyone wanting to swap Citizenship? Preferably Europe!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: DKAerial
I was there in early June. I took my Mavic Pro outside of my hotel by the river for a flight. It was not in a NFZ, and I got the usual message about the 'homepoint is updated. check it on the map.' I took off no problem and shot some nice pix of that huge bridge that has corkscrew on and off ramps. Then I hit the 'return to home' button, and got the usual 'returning to home' message. As i watched the drone coming home, instead of stopping above me and gently settling back to earth, it just kept on going! It flew over and beyond the top of the Intercontinental Hotel and out of sight. I then got a "Aircraft has lost contact with the remote control' message. I tried adjusting antennas, walking to different locations in the park area (hoping to reconnect) but I could never get it to reconnect. As I frantically tried to whatever, I'd occassionally get a message that "the landing site was not suitable' - land yes or no?" but I couldn't control it. After 20 min of this, battery time had to be up and the drone was gone. I assumed it was a DJI error (although THEY would not admit as much - my insurance coverage did not cover a lost drone). So now it's gone! When I got home, someone said the government probably took control and "Shanghai'd" my drone! I have no idea what happened. Any advice or insights? Thanks
I just flew at the Great Wall, in a quiet location. Drone was registered etc. We experienced some odd behaviour as we went to land. The drone was acting erratically and we had trouble landing it. It also started to “wobble” can’t really find a better word. It’s like it was trying to massively over-correct it’s position. There was wind but no warnings. I’ve flown in worse. I wonder if there is GPS interference or obfuscation?

Did you register your drone in China?
But regardless of registration, there is a TON of interference in Shanghai, from Buildings, cars, communication Towers etc.
I also took off from a park once and after 200m or so I got the message that the Connection was poor.
Be really careful when flying in cities, try to get a high vantage Point and always remain the drone in line of sight.
I don't think China is proactivley blocking drones, I know a lot of pilots from China and it is also in the interest of DJI to allow people to fly.

Wow amazing video. I wouldnt be unable to do that as it would be very stressful thinking drone to crash. Amazing from Chinese Authorities. I think Australia is worse than communist China or even Russia. Here its not really worth owning a drone really. The people also can be like ultra paranoid or pull the privacy laws. Wherever you go in the "lucky country"? Is it really worth owning a drone in the great southern land. Your not so lucky if you love aerial photography down under. Thats for sure. Sad state of affairs. On youtube Europe has lots of drone footage but Australia is limited like a police state and irrational groups unable to appreciate how drone aerial footage is

China is cool.
Love Europe!
Anyone wanting to swap Citizenship? Preferably Europe!!!!

Also the Beer is a lot cheaper in Europe :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111