DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Shooting real estate in Class D airspace

kk5hy

Reactions
Hi, I'm studying for the Part 107 license.
In the airspace module, they say if you're in class D airspace you need to get permission to fly which could take as much as 90 days.
The main reason for me getting this license is I started shooting real estate properties. The realtors are hot with drone footage.
Since most of this area is class D, this is an issue.

The problem is in the real world there is no 90 days to plan a shoot, a realtor may call today saying they need footage of a house tomorrow morning and they need the edited footage by tomorrow night.
I know of at least 3 other videographers in this area that do real estate full time. I don't know them personally or I'd ask them but I highly doubt they are asking anyone for permission to fly for the same reasons I gave above.

What do you guys do? Not take the job? Sell the drone and move on?
Seems to be pretty complicated.

Thanks,
Jake

Last edited:
I found the answer to my own question.
Basically you have to request a waiver that has no ending date or the ending date is when your license expires.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same question.
Jake

You can also use LAANC to get an instant authorization if your airport participates in that system. Otherwise you are correct about applying for a long term blanket waiver via the FAA's DroneZone site.

You can also use LAANC to get an instant authorization if your airport participates in that system. Otherwise you are correct about applying for a long term blanket waiver via the FAA's DroneZone site.

And unfortunately in the Houston area it isn't available yet. Hopefully soon.

I just realized that I wrote "waiver", when technically you want to apply for an "airspace authorization" via DroneZone. "Waivers" are asking to be exempt from airspace rules whereas "authorizations" are just getting permission to enter the airspace. The FAA has said we should be applying for authorizations and those are being processed faster than waiver requests.

Reactions: kk5hy
I just realized that I wrote "waiver", when technically you want to apply for an "airspace authorization" via DroneZone. "Waivers" are asking to be exempt from airspace rules whereas "authorizations" are just getting permission to enter the airspace. The FAA has said we should be applying for authorizations and those are being processed faster than waiver requests.

Great to know,
Thanks!

Hi, not sure if it’s a UK thing but I was getting a warning that I was flying in Class D airspace and I should fly with caution.
I was able to fly without any problems.
I checked with my local ATC at the airport ( Liverpool) and was told that I was in a class D zone but it doesn’t “kick in” until 2500 feet so technically yes I was in a D zone but not in reality.
The ATC guys were really helpful appreciated my taking the time to enquire.
Does US Class D airspace start at a different height?

Hi, not sure if it’s a UK thing but I was getting a warning that I was flying in Class D airspace and I should fly with caution.
I was able to fly without any problems.
I checked with my local ATC at the airport ( Liverpool) and was told that I was in a class D zone but it doesn’t “kick in” until 2500 feet so technically yes I was in a D zone but not in reality.
The ATC guys were really helpful appreciated my taking the time to enquire.
Does US Class D airspace start at a different height?

Normally, the airspace surrounding a Class D airport extends from the surface up to a designated MSL altitude, usually about 2,500 feet Above Ground Level (AGL).

I found the answer to my own question.
Basically you have to request a waiver that has no ending date or the ending date is when your license expires.

Hope this helps anyone else with the same question.
Jake
When asking for manual authorization, do you just leave the date blank then? I have the same issue where I live and haven't figured out this system yet. It's virtually impossible to choose a date and then hope you get your authorization in time.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbrute