DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Short night time time laspe.

DEads

Reactions
A few things. I am not 107 certified yet (take my test next week) and this was purely for recreation. I am not over traffic, I am actually straight up in a parking lot about 100 feet right of this 4 way behind a taco bell. I am still super new at all this. This was my first night video. Filmed with a Mavic Air 2. This was -200 with 8 second shutter. 30 minutes of fly time for 5 seconds of video. lol. Hopefully I will learn how to send the bird right back up with another battery and splice the videos together. All feedback is welcome.

I assume you had a strobe on it. Better that way at night (oh, and legal too).

I would:
Shoot it at ISO 100 or 200 as you did.
1080p looks pretty decent and you can do a 2-3 even 4 second shutter. Still long enough for a smearing of light trails.
The 2-4 seconds of shooting will probably give to you a longer video. Maybe as long as 15-20 seconds total video depending on some factors.

With the new firmware you can do a WAYPOINT hyperlapse as you always could. But now you can get all of the waypoints set up ahead of time and save it as a TASK. Then land for a fresh battery. Go back to hyperlapse-waypoint and load the TASK. Then hit record. You waste less battery when the points are already recorded. Since you wanted to stay over the parking lot, you could make the waypoints as heights and not position change. Ive done it before and it looks pretty cool. Just make sure and adjust the camera to center on the intersection while setting up the waypoints.

BUT ANYWAY......cool video. I love the whole hyperlapse thing. It‘s kind of my favorite thing to play with.

Also. It is really fun to do Long Exposure photos too. Then those 8 second shots are fun to play with. .

Also, Also. Night PANO shots with long exposure. Very fun. The wide angle shots/360 Sphere shots can take a very long time to shoot. If the shutter is set to 8 seconds, the SPHERE shots take like a few minutes considering the 20 something photos and drone repositioning.

But have fun! Nice work!

Ill try the 2-3 second shutter next time. I have only had my drone a few weeks and haven't even messed with waypoints yet. Ill definitely look into that. I have a small pano night shot I did the same night. I love night shots and I hope that the faa gets rid of the waiver like I have heard they will. Thank you for the feedback.

Attachments

• charleston at night 2.jpg
    charleston at night 2.jpg
    270.7 KB · Views: 18
As long as your shots are for recreational purposes, regardless if you are part 107 certified or not, you’re good to fly at night all night. As long as your drone is marked with strobe lights that make the FAA happy. In theory the strobes should be visible from three statue miles. There are many strobes out there available, including mounts. Waivers are not needed.

Obviously you need to follow all the other normal drone laws.
This pertains to USA/FAA rules.

EDIT

IMO - To be clear. For Recreational night flying - If you are posting any of the videos/pictures done at night on any social sites like Instagram/YouTube etc you need to make sure those sites are not monetized (you can’t make money). if you are making money, technically even pennies at a time, I would assume that the night flight would need to be under part 107 rules… With a night waiver. It’s not like the FAA is pouring through YouTube videos but might as well protect yourself.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spitspin