DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Smart Controller, HLG and setting Color Temperature.

Oglo

Reactions
I'm looking for info on the techniques people are using to set the colour temperature (locked in so it doesn't change mid shot) when shooting in HLG format.
I'm using the SC, but this would also be relevant on the standard RC.
I love the increased dynamic range HLG gives and also shoot with this setting on my GH5.
But if I start up in HLG mode I have no idea what the colours on my SC screen indicate and then how accurate it records the colour temperature to what it actually is. On normal modes you can get a pretty indication as what's on screen can be changed via the slider to what your'e seeing by eye.
I want to be somewhere in the ball park of correct colour before taking into Davinci Resolve.
I can judge HLG exposure via the exposure curve readout and set the SC screen brightness to compensate, but I'm having trouble getting an idea of where the colour temperature is looking at the screen to make a subjective decision.
Cheers

Hey Oglo,
you may want to refer to DLOG rather than HLG while discussing this. (I think) more people here will understand what you are talking about.

If you want correct colour temperature set it to somewhere around 5800°K on a sunny day (mid-day).
On a cloudy day dial it up towards 6500°.
Other than that fine tuning colour temperature on a display doesn't make much sense:
Each display has it's own colour. So an iPad looks different than a Samsung tablet than a SC.

If you want a piece of reference you can use a white balance card on set and read it out in post.
That's more accurate than any visual settings on displays:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
As MaxHam says, set the color temp according to the light. This isn't a DJI specific subject and it certainly should not be dictated by whatever you see on your controller (SC or otherwise).

As for "locked in so it doesn't change mid shot", this should never happen unless you're using Auto White Balance. If you are seeing color temp changes during a recording, with AWB off, then consider that the light is actually changing (either a cloud went over the sun, or the orientation of your aircraft went from pointing directly at a sun-lit object, to recording mostly a foreground covered in shadows.

WB settings on a camera (drone or otherwise) are just starting points. For instance, the SUNLIGHT icon will set a specific temp that is a good guess for sunlight, the color temp of sunlight actually changes throughout the day. For critical stuff, set it as best you can and maybe it will look fine in post, but if you shot a white / gray card at the start (as in the video above), the correction in Resolve is a simple thing (rather than dialing it in manually).

Chris

Max ham gave good advice on the white balance and that displays are not all created equal. Now just change those "Thens" to Thans and you are good to go. :)

Wow, for not a first language yours is excellent. Maybe you can use a trick for those then. Think of comparing and it is always the A, so I like this apple better than this apple. And for something that will lead on to the next thing, it would be the E word. If we do this now, then we will be able to do that later on. I hope that makes some sense of the difficult language of English and its words. Sometimes there does not seem to be a reason or rule, we just have to remember when to use those words. Same thing with there, their and they're, but those do have rules as to when to use them. You still have one more then to change to a than, above. I'm not sure if the above ideas for rules make sense in all situations but it may help you. I speak some other languages too and one is German and I always had problems at the start with when to use Der, Die und Das.

Last edited:
Reactions: MaxHam
Wow, for not a first language yours is excellent. Maybe you can use a trick for those then. Think of comparing and it is always the A, so I like this apple better than this apple. And for something that will lead on to the next thing, it would be the E word. If we do this now, then we will be able to do that later on. I hope that makes some sense of the difficult language of English and its words. Sometimes there does not seem to be a reason or rule, we just have to remember when to use those words. Same thing with there, their and they're, but those do have rules as to when to use them. You still have one more then to change to a than, above. I'm not sure if the above ideas for rules make sense in all situations but it may help you. I speak some other languages too and one is German and I always had problems at the start with when to use Der, Die und Das.

It does help - thanks! The problem is I need to think when I write then, than, there, their.
If I just write and not think about it usually goes wrong.

That's funny - my first language is German.
If you ever need help... :)

(And I corrected that last mistake :)

It does help - thanks! The problem is I need to think when I write then, than, there, their.
If I just write and not think about it usually goes wrong.

That's funny - my first language is German.
If you ever need help... :)

(And I corrected that last mistake :)

Oh what a coincidence. I lived in Austria for a number of years so learned Hoch Deutsch plus the local dialect, now there is a difference... wow. A little trick for there and their, think of this, if it helps you. There is used when you want to point to something or when the word has no direct association with a person. So something like... there is no point in discussing this any further, or.. I can see the car over there. Now Their has an "I" in it, so when you see that word, think "I " as in ich, and remember that this means a person or is directly associated with a person, as in I or me, so that word will belong to a person.

Therefore, when you say Their car is on my grass, you know the car belong to a person, so you use the There/Their with the I oder ich in it, because it is something that belongs to a person. I hope that is making sense. Their car is parked on our grass and it is over there. Or a good one is their car is parked over there. They are going to be happy I found it, or They're going to be happy I found it, which of course, would be the other "They're" that people who speak English as a first language, often get wrong when writing it. Their... There... They're. Viel spass mit English MaxHam.

Reactions: MaxHam
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ