DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

standard behaviors of Litchi waypoint missions?

alandal

Reactions
I had a chance to try this waypoint mission with air 2 (not 2s) for the first time. It started well, but half way through it, signal loss was reported and RTH was initiated.

But I read somewhere that the mission should be truly autonomous meaning that the drone should complete the mission on its own without requiring connection back to the controller because the entire instruction data set has been loaded prior to mission start. Also people say some DJI drones would require stable connection to load mission instruction data set piece by piece because the limited memory on board.

So how is mission data loaded on different drones? And more fundamentally what are the standard behaviors to be expected when the drone loses its connection?

Any links or hints are appreciated.

On my M2P the mission is loaded to the drone, in Litchi I can select what the drone does on RC connection Loss, it gives the option to Continue Mission to Finish or RTH or Hover, as long as the mission has valid waypoints not more than 2km apart then it will finish the mission and do what you programmed at last waypoint, I usually have my last waypoint back at where the drone started. My M2P has always managed to finish the missions without any problems, provided I know the mission is valid without errors.

Reactions: DougMcC
I had a chance to try this waypoint mission with air 2 (not 2s) for the first time. It started well, but half way through it, signal loss was reported and RTH was initiated.

But I read somewhere that the mission should be truly autonomous meaning that the drone should complete the mission on its own without requiring connection back to the controller because the entire instruction data set has been loaded prior to mission start. Also people say some DJI drones would require stable connection to load mission instruction data set piece by piece because the limited memory on board.

So how is mission data loaded on different drones? And more fundamentally what are the standard behaviors to be expected when the drone loses its connection?

Any links or hints are appreciated.
Anything that uses the DJI Fly app (all the newer models) Fly virtual stick, in other words they make the stick input commands for you. If you lose connection with with the AC, RTH is initiated and the mission is ended. The older drones that used GO4 app like the Phantom and Mavic 2 series (Pro, Zoom, Enterprise), had provisions on board to have the entire mission uploaded to them. On those drones it doesn't need a connection to the RC and if signal is lost, they complete the mission. On those the RC is just acting as a monitor so you can see what is happening and/or cancel the mission if needed.

Reactions: DougMcC and Jackh
Anything that uses the DJI Fly app (all the newer models) Fly virtual stick, in other words they make the stick input commands for you. If you lose connection with with the AC, RTH is initiated and the mission is ended. The older drones that used GO4 app like the Phantom and Mavic 2 series (Pro, Zoom, Enterprise), had provisions on board to have the entire mission uploaded to them. On those drones it doesn't need a connection to the RC and if signal is lost, they complete the mission. On those the RC is just acting as a monitor so you can see what is happening and/or cancel the mission if needed.
Thanks for your explanations.

Wonder what caused the design change. The size of my waypoint mission file on my Android is around 2.41KB. So it's hard to believe the change is due to the on-board memory size limitation. Maybe some sort of government regulation, or company internal (safety) policy?

On my M2P the mission is loaded to the drone, in Litchi I can select what the drone does on RC connection Loss, it gives the option to Continue Mission to Finish or RTH or Hover, as long as the mission has valid waypoints not more than 2km apart then it will finish the mission and do what you programmed at last waypoint, I usually have my last waypoint back at where the drone started. My M2P has always managed to finish the missions without any problems, provided I know the mission is valid without errors.
Thanks. Sounds like M2P is worth keeping if one desires to fly more autonomous missions.

I have both the M2P and the Mavic 3 and the camera difference is unreal on the Mavic 3, worth it if you really take a lot of photos or high quality video.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scottyg2s