DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

State drone law in Minnesota and Michigan?

hchen

Reactions
I'll visit Minnesota and Michigan soon. Anyone is able to tell me the local drone laws? Would their state parks are drone friendly? Thanks!

@Starz has got it right.

I have flown at several Michigan State Parks, including Tahquamenon Falls and Porcupine Mountains. However, before I do, I go directly to the headquarters and talk to the park manager to find out the particular rules that apply at that park, and they do vary. Some parks do not allow any drones, while others can be very flexible. For example, absolutely no drones are allowed at Palms Book SP. At the Porkies, they allowed drones as long as you did not "disturb" anyone. The manager at Tahquamenon Falls was very accommodating and worked with me to find routes of flight, etc. even though that park has listed restrictions. Keep in mind that was last fall. Things can change because some bozo messed it up for the rest of us. The best thing to do is ask and be up front as to what you want to do.

Before I got my first MPP back in 2018, I saw a guy at the Porkies with a Phantom. I thought it was very cool, and at the same time, I was annoyed because the peaceful setting was broken with the buzzing of a drone. My advice is never fly near or over people, and try to find areas of operation where people won't be annoyed.

Reactions: Kendallfordguy
Oh... and a great place to fly is Brockway Mountain Drive near Copper Harbor. But you can't fly at Fort Wilkins SP which includes most of Lake Fannie Hooe.

Reactions: Greasy
Minnesota State Parks are generally off limits, but please research for yourself. Other than that, pretty much FAA rules.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rui S