DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stock Battery Charger Sucks

ccoltmanm

Reactions
Sure, it can charge your battery and your controller at once, but the fact that the battery can only plug in one way is stupid.

I also like the USB port. Maybe it’s not that bad. Just annoying.

..but the fact that the battery can only plug in one way is stupid.

ccoltman: Me thinks there are just too many leads to allow the battery to be connected either way. There's a whole lot more going on through those pins than in a Lightning or USB-C cable which are reversible.

Not sure what you meant about the USB port. You like it or don't like it and, which USB port, the Micro-USB on the top left or the USB-A on the bottom? Most folks don't like the top one simply because while it is Micro-USB and it should be easy to determine which orientation the male plug should be in, it isn't. And, a few folks have unfortunately broken their charging ports by using too much force while trying to get the plug in correctly. But as far as the USB-A is concerned, I don't recall anyone having difficulty with that port.

ccoltman: Me thinks there are just too many leads to allow the battery to be connected either way. There's a whole lot more going on through those pins than in a Lightning or USB-C cable which are reversible.

Not sure what you meant about the USB port. You like it or don't like it and, which USB port, the Micro-USB on the top left or the USB-A on the bottom? Most folks don't like the top one simply because while it is Micro-USB and it should be easy to determine which orientation the male plug should be in, it isn't. And, a few folks have unfortunately broken their charging ports by using too much force while trying to get the plug in correctly. But as far as the USB-A is concerned, I don't recall anyone having difficulty with that port.

You are right, just annoying. I meant the usb a port on the actual charger. It’s nice to charge my phone while traveling too!

I’ve seen the lightening cable almost bend when I try to smash my phone in the side too!

I’ve seen the lightening cable almost bend when I try to smash my phone in the side too!

Too funny, amigo...TOO funny! I expect we've ALL done something similar at one time or another. But, if you ARE using the Micro-USB port on top to connect your phone or tablet, do yourself a huge favor and get a 10-inch, (whatever type port your display uses) to USB-A cable and start using the bottom port. Almost no one has any problems with the bottom port but the top one is problematic in many ways.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJH92474
Too funny, amigo...TOO funny! I expect we've ALL done something similar at one time or another. But, if you ARE using the Micro-USB port on top to connect your phone or tablet, do yourself a huge favor and get a 10-inch, Micro-USB to USB-A cable and start using the bottom port. Almost no one has any problems with the bottom port but the top one is problematic in many ways.

Oh really! Interesting. I like how the side one is hidden when closed. Any specific advantages?

Sure, it can charge your battery and your controller at once, but the fact that the battery can only plug in one way is stupid.

I also like the USB port. Maybe it’s not that bad. Just annoying.
I think they made it that way to stop cheap people trying to plug in a mavic 1 charger into the battery. The USB port on the charger is included so you can charge your phone also.

I prefer the aftermarket chargers that let you charge 3-4 batteries in parallel with 2 USB ports like the rcgeeks, yxc or Sunnylife chargers. Rcgeeks even makes a white one with a storage mode switch if that's of any value to you..

I think they made it that way to stop cheap people trying to plug in a mavic 1 charger into the battery. The USB port on the charger is included so you can charge your phone also.

I prefer the aftermarket chargers that let you charge 3-4 batteries in parallel with 2 USB ports like the rcgeeks, yxc or Sunnylife chargers. Rcgeeks even makes a white one with a storage mode switch if that's of any value to you..
Not sure if this is getting off-topic, but what do the pros say about the RCGeek (4 battery) / Fstop Labs (3 battery) aftermarket chargers? Fstop has a lot more Amazon reviews. I'm concerned about going aftermarket for intricate batteries, but I don't understand the technology enough to know whether I should be. They must be using different strategies, as RCG quotes 2 hour charge and FStop says 60 minutes. Concerns me, through I like the idea of the switch on the RCG to maintain batteries at 65%.

Not sure if this is getting off-topic, but what do the pros say about the RCGeek (4 battery) / Fstop Labs (3 battery) aftermarket chargers? Fstop has a lot more Amazon reviews. I'm concerned about going aftermarket for intricate batteries, but I don't understand the technology enough to know whether I should be. They must be using different strategies, as RCG quotes 2 hour charge and FStop says 60 minutes. Concerns me, through I like the idea of the switch on the RCG to maintain batteries at 65%.

The LiPo battery is managed by a charging circuit built right into the battery itself, so all that these aftermarket chargers are in reality are power supplies providing sufficient voltage and current. The charging circuit in the battery does the rest (including discharge etc).
Naked LiPo's which are found in hobby kit are the batteries which require far greater care with a (relatively) cheap balance charger such as an IMAX B6A2 or similar.

Thats why the aftermarket DJI chargers are so cheap, they're merely "power supplies" more than intelligent chargers.

I personally like the DJI multiport charging accessory. It only charges one battery at a time, but you can plug in up to 4 batteries, It changes them by the amount of charge needed first, but will eventually charge all 4.

Reactions: ff22

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots