DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strategies/Tips for Big Mountain Drone Shots

Karlewski

Reactions
I exclusively fly FPV style and in MANY super sketchy locations, I climb huge mountains in order to get drone perspectives where 1600' is nowhere near enough. . . . Here are some tips I learned along the way from much blood sweat and tears. and one dead drone, RIP
Drone Flying:
1) Not only is it critical to get high enough in the mountains to reach above high points with your drone(some of the best shots) but, ideally you want to be at a point towering over your subjects so you can literally weave in out and around epic terrain and never loose your signal, LOS (line of sight).
2) You want to closely study a Topo map of where you will be flying and identify areas where you will be tempted into radio shadows and then loose signal! OMG not fun!
3) Constantly refer to the icon at the bottom center of your screen to maintain your first person orientation and location "inside the drone" relative to your piloting position. Know exactly where you are piloting and your drone is and what is in-between! Hopefully nothing tall!
4) This one is KEY! Familiarize yourself with obvious landmarks you plan on shooting as well as distant landmarks to further improve your orientation so you can easily recognize your drone's position and direction from your monitor. "Wholly $hit, where is it!" You know the feeling! Avoid it!
5) Last, HUGE ONE HERE! For the most precision big distance flying near obstructions, in order to get the the most aggressive perspectives possible SAFELY. Arrive at your desired location way too high and beyond your subject. Have your subject directly between you and your drone, now find your EXACT piloting location on your FPV monitor, wearing a bright jacket or hanging a big bright object at your piloting location helps. I'm usually on some obvious giant summit, easy that way, but knowing your on the north edge of a big obvious parking lot works just as well. Been there done that. . . Wait for it. . .
Now you KNOW you and your drone have line of sight and a good radio link, you are seeing down that line of sight from your drone camera to yourself. Calculate a flight path to explore/shoot your subject while maintaining that line of sight and radio link to yourself. The drone is safe and you can stay just high enough or off to the north or whatever to maintain the line of sight, ALWAYS keep terrain features from blocking that radio signal/line of sight while shooting your subject, obviously the shoot subject also needs to be fairly close /along that line of sight in order to frame it. My air 2 is good about early "weak radio signal" warnings, respect the warnings, fly straight up and or back along your flight path.

Never fly sideways until you ARE SURE you are in open airspace, I paid $1000 and considerable climbing risk for that lesson on a M2Zoom with side sensors in normal mode! Ya it's gone . . .

I discovered that last big tip using google earth. I knew what I wanted to shoot and wanted to determine my best view of it using google earth. I realized by looking around from any shooting perspective/point in space on google earth where I could be piloting to maintain radio signal and line of sight, anywhere I could see on the ground from the virtual shot location/point in space. I've got some SICK shots of very inaccessible places doing this preflight planning. For me, being an experienced mountaineer and rock climber, I enjoy GOING BIG, to some crazy pinnacles, being familiar with the terrain and ESPECIALLY terrain that will likely cause a problem where there are big radio shadows relative to my summit perch. Last, you should understand, having the see all perch on some giant mountain summit has MANY of its own disadvantages. Almost always windy and cold, massive air turbulence coming off the terrain, hands are frozen, no shelter, zero chance of drone recovery in most of my vertical adventures and a huge time/risk/physical commitment just being there at all, tough deal. . .Simply put, very very stressful and distracting most of the time. The stronger and more skilled you are with the drone and terrain the easier some of that gets. Luckily, I do have nerves of steel, and a long history of ultra light aviation, RC aircraft combat champion, extreme sports athlete and pretty BIG CRAZY STREAK! Talk is cheap and I'd like to believe I can also walk the walk. Or climb the climb in my case ;-)
ADVENTURE TIME!!! This is my Channel Trailer Video
This is my most recent "Drone Only" Video
Love to hear your feedback and additional input on this topic!

Great tips and strategies and inspiring...but I will not be going there! Love your work and thanks for giving me that 'on top of the world' feeling ...being from Down Under as I am LOL.
Safe ascending and descending for both you and your bird mate.

I exclusively fly FPV style and in MANY super sketchy locations, I climb huge mountains in order to get drone perspectives where 1600' is nowhere near enough. . . . Here are some tips I learned along the way from much blood sweat and tears. and one dead drone, RIP
Drone Flying:
1) Not only is it critical to get high enough in the mountains to reach above high points with your drone(some of the best shots) but, ideally you want to be at a point towering over your subjects so you can literally weave in out and around epic terrain and never loose your signal, LOS (line of sight).
2) You want to closely study a Topo map of where you will be flying and identify areas where you will be tempted into radio shadows and then loose signal! OMG not fun!
3) Constantly refer to the icon at the bottom center of your screen to maintain your first person orientation and location "inside the drone" relative to your piloting position. Know exactly where you are piloting and your drone is and what is in-between! Hopefully nothing tall!
4) This one is KEY! Familiarize yourself with obvious landmarks you plan on shooting as well as distant landmarks to further improve your orientation so you can easily recognize your drone's position and direction from your monitor. "Wholly $hit, where is it!" You know the feeling! Avoid it!
5) Last, HUGE ONE HERE! For the most precision big distance flying near obstructions, in order to get the the most aggressive perspectives possible SAFELY. Arrive at your desired location way too high and beyond your subject. Have your subject directly between you and your drone, now find your EXACT piloting location on your FPV monitor, wearing a bright jacket or hanging a big bright object at your piloting location helps. I'm usually on some obvious giant summit, easy that way, but knowing your on the north edge of a big obvious parking lot works just as well. Been there done that. . . Wait for it. . .
Now you KNOW you and your drone have line of sight and a good radio link, you are seeing down that line of sight from your drone camera to yourself. Calculate a flight path to explore/shoot your subject while maintaining that line of sight and radio link to yourself. The drone is safe and you can stay just high enough or off to the north or whatever to maintain the line of sight, ALWAYS keep terrain features from blocking that radio signal/line of sight while shooting your subject, obviously the shoot subject also needs to be fairly close /along that line of sight in order to frame it. My air 2 is good about early "weak radio signal" warnings, respect the warnings, fly straight up and or back along your flight path.

Never fly sideways until you ARE SURE you are in open airspace, I paid $1000 and considerable climbing risk for that lesson on a M2Zoom with side sensors in normal mode! Ya it's gone . . .

I discovered that last big tip using google earth. I knew what I wanted to shoot and wanted to determine my best view of it using google earth. I realized by looking around from any shooting perspective/point in space on google earth where I could be piloting to maintain radio signal and line of sight, anywhere I could see on the ground from the virtual shot location/point in space. I've got some SICK shots of very inaccessible places doing this preflight planning. For me, being an experienced mountaineer and rock climber, I enjoy GOING BIG, to some crazy pinnacles, being familiar with the terrain and ESPECIALLY terrain that will likely cause a problem where there are big radio shadows relative to my summit perch. Last, you should understand, having the see all perch on some giant mountain summit has MANY of its own disadvantages. Almost always windy and cold, massive air turbulence coming off the terrain, hands are frozen, no shelter, zero chance of drone recovery in most of my vertical adventures and a huge time/risk/physical commitment just being there at all, tough deal. . .Simply put, very very stressful and distracting most of the time. The stronger and more skilled you are with the drone and terrain the easier some of that gets. Luckily, I do have nerves of steel, and a long history of ultra light aviation, RC aircraft combat champion, extreme sports athlete and pretty BIG CRAZY STREAK! Talk is cheap and I'd like to believe I can also walk the walk. Or climb the climb in my case ;-)
ADVENTURE TIME!!! This is my Channel Trailer Video
This is my most recent "Drone Only" Video
Love to hear your feedback and additional input on this topic!
Awesome, im wondering is it harder to climb down mountains than up??

Great Video, and you answered all my questions.

Awesome, im wondering is it harder to climb down mountains than up??
There are a huge # of factors to this question and really depends on a climber's strengths and training. For me descending usually feels harder, hard on joints, lots of pounding, still lots of energy being used, already tired, treacherous on grapefruit sized loose talus but finer steep loose rock or snow can be a quick easy joyful sliding escape . . . If you are strong/well trained and excited, climbing is pretty easy at least for the first 2 or 3K feet staying inside your VO2 max is the key(moving at a pace you could hold a conversation at and still breath). For me technical climbing is the least strenuous, using arms and legs, technique, and generally moving slower due to complex movement and route finding. If you're climbing seriously exposed steeps unroped and tired you being stupid and may have to pay for it with your life. Roped climbing is a whole different animal and if you need a rope you're pushing your limits safely and generally fighting the burn in your grip strength. I would NEVER solo a climb where grip endurance is an issue. Here is my favorite easy overhanging climb that I solo relatively safely and am planning to do today, it closes year end due to being a raptor breeding ground. Great training! Climbing real mountains has many way more risk factors, more loose rock, rough weather, fatigue . . . .

Reactions: Mavic Maxwell
I enjoyed that Jeff! Great skill in multi-tasking.
I am never likely to get closer to experiencing such a climb. Your 'egg-head shots of your praying mantis like moves revealed a 3 point contact at all times technique..I guess the safest.. although I reckon you are as game as Ned Kelly ( Australian bush ranger renown to be fearless against the odds....a somewhat Butch Cassidy figure).
Nice flying too and I trust all went well today.
Enjoy and stay safe mate ...from Down Under.

Thanks Maxwell, I am truly flattered by your compliments but I can't really be fearless. I obey my fear and stay alive. So many amazing brave people, I just choose to go Hollywood with it to share and I guess pride and vanity too. A devious mentor once shared this bit of wisdom with me. "You can lie to others about your bravado but, if you lie to yourself it will kill you." I choose not to lie at all.
What can be achieved by the undaunted human spirit is amazing.
Cheers, Karl

Hey guys, as I watch more and more videos here I am noticing a common mistake we all make, quite counter intuitive and especially easy to make shooting giant impressive landscapes. When you see an awesome landscape feature your instincts immediately tell you to fly in toward the subject to get a better look, that's often not a good idea. Often the best move is to fly away from the subject in order to frame it completely setting up a nice composition of the entire subject. One of my all-time favorite moves is framing the subject, a mountain summit and flying in reverse far away to slowly reveal the massive scale. Here's a cool example:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ