DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Stress cracks on dji air 2s

Shadowclaim

Reactions
Hi All,

I have set my eye on the dji air2s. But as it turns out the mavic 2 seems to have a lot of issues with stress cracks appearing even without much flight hours. For a product in this price range you would expect more. As air2s and mavic 2 share more of less the same build, can I expect this from the air2s as Well?
So dji air2s pilots out there, please post your personal experience. Mention flight hours and any cracks and the location of the cracks. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Rob

Hi All,

I have set my eye on the dji air2s. But as it turns out the mavic 2 seems to have a lot of issues with stress cracks appearing even without much flight hours. For a product in this price range you would expect more. As air2s and mavic 2 share more of less the same build, can I expect this from the air2s as Well?
So dji air2s pilots out there, please post your personal experience. Mention flight hours and any cracks and the location of the cracks. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Rob
I have yet to experience these "stress cracks". The biggest crack I got was small but came after I crashed my drone. Other than that, I've never heard of or experienced these cracks. Hope that helps!

Where are the stress cracks located? It was either 51 Drones on YouTube or Ken Heron that said opening up the propellers before launch, keeps the area where the arms connect to frame from potential stress cracks as the drone is spinning up. When the props are in their folded position, the drone has to spread them out via inertia which can cause some shake on the arms. Now I do it outta habit even if their theory isn't exactly accurate.

Last edited:
Where are the stress cracks located? It was either 51 Drones on YouTube or Ken Heron that said opening up the propellers before launch, keeps the area where the arms connect to frame from potential stress cracks as the drone is spinning up. When the props are in their folded position, the drone has to spread them out via inertia which can cause some shake on the arms. Now I do it outta habit even if their theory isn't exactly accurate.
Stress cracks appear on the hindges. Possible root cause could ben the material being in interior Quality (manufacturing error) or screws to tight. Anyway reviews have not pointed out this problem on the air 2 s yet bit since the frame is so much the same with mavic 2, I wonder if it doesn't exist on air2s as Well. Any review and advice is appreciated.
I am new to drones, don't mind paying a bit more but the pro is out of my range. So when I spend some decent money on it I expect to have some joy out of it.
Again comments are welcome, thanks to all

Reactions: TnDronePilot
Hi All,

Best regards,
Rob
My 1.5 yr old Air2 (not S) has no cracks as of yet. Got about 200 hours or so.

Think the stress crack issue is overhyped and "possibly" due to some crashes which will be a problem.

Reactions: AZDave and MS Coast
IMHO.
The stress cracks are overhyped, and from where they appear mainly around the hinges suggest poor technique with folding/ unfolding the legs.
I have marked arrows on the legs showing which way they unfold.
Also when replacing the battery I never push down with the legs on the ground. I hold the drone and squeeze the battery in until it clicks into place.
Pre-emptive care goes a long way to longevity of the equipment.

IMHO.
The stress cracks are overhyped, and from where they appear mainly around the hinges suggest poor technique with folding/ unfolding the legs.
Also when replacing the battery I never push down with the legs on the ground. I hold the drone and squeeze the battery in until it clicks into place.
A good deal of truth and common sense in that.

IMHO.
Thanks for the reply, the final push that I needed

Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
I have just found a crack on the upper body of my Mavic Air 2 just above the forward prop arm pivot, left hand side. The crack is not big yet and I can still operate, but carefully. The drone has low hours, never crashed and I never had to replace any blades. So I am concerned as to what caused it.
I have ordered a replacement upper body and would appreciate any wisdom regarding the replacement procedures.
Graham

These started popping up. I haven't even been flying it recently and I had not had any mishaps. Air2 form almost 2 years ago. I have inquired with DJI...

Attachments

• 20220209_171605_resized.jpg
    20220209_171605_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 47
  • 20220209_171612_resized.jpg
    20220209_171612_resized.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 45
  • 20220209_171622_resized.jpg
    20220209_171622_resized.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 44
I have just received a replacement top cover, as the original had developed a crack in the area of the left top arm pivot support (and I have not suffered a crash). The original cover has tape patch on the underside of the battery compartment area at the front end. It appears to be a type of metallic coated tape and is located immediately above the fan. This tape is missing on the replacement cover. What is the purpose of the tape and what kind or brand of tape, if any, should I put on the new cover?
Thanks
Graham

Pulverize 2 Valium to a fine powder, add 3 drops superglue and mix quickly into a paste. Fill the cracks with the paste and let harden.

The stress will be gone in 20-30 minutes.

🤣🤣

People unfolding the arms too aggressively would be my guess, this isn't from flying.

Hi,
I noticed this weekend stress crack around USB port cover. Treat her like a baby, stored in hard case, batteries always inserted whilst holding it.20220816_1835593.jpg

IMHO.
Operate a 4+ year old Mavic 2 zoom. No stress cracks on the rotor arms, no stress fractures to the upper shell either. I put that down to four things. Never aggressively flick the arms out from folded. Always unfold the the arms by grabbing as close to the hinge as possible. Always spread rotors fully open before spin-up. Always insert battery with the belly of the drone supported by the palm of my other hand. I'm mindful of the fact that this is something that cost me £1,100. This wasn't a cheap toy, so I don't treat it like one.

Sold my Air2S with 160 hours of flight time and didn't show any crack. Always takeoff/land from the hand or a table and spread the blades.

The worst design problem with the Air2S is the battery, not only its duration but also that it can pop out if it heats and swells during flight.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803