DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strobe Positioning Air 2S

A bright light, placed underneath the drone, can greatly enhance VLOS, both in distance and when flying against any concealing background (eg. vegetation and valley walls if flown from a gorge). I have found the drone disappears to clear view, even at 400-600m range in broad daylight, and hence a strobe flashing would keep it much more visible. It is on my bucket-list now along with some more spare prop blades, including low-noise versions.
Can't use strobes to "enhance VLOS" because it won't help spot obstacles or their relative proximity near the drone, only gives you a vague sense of which direction the drone is from you.

Not at all true.
Have you tried with/without? Didn't think so. One more armchair "observation".
Yes I have ( I have three firehouse arc V) and it's still as I said. Even if you can see somewhat the direction your drone is at, you can't seriously say you can observe all other objects near or approaching it when you are already so far from the drone to lack any real perception.

Can't use strobes to "enhance VLOS" because it won't help spot obstacles or their relative proximity near the drone, only gives you a vague sense of which direction the drone is from you.
That is all that I need... to see where it is. I will use a long flash or even constant light if the strobe is inadequate.
You may be misunderstanding my flying situations; I do NOT fly at night (illegal) so I can deal with obstacles either with the obstacle-avoidance sensors or visually by turning the drone around to check for objects using the camera and screen on my controller. As it is daylight I can see most obstacles and do not need a light to illuminate them..

That is all that I need... to see where it is. I will use a long flash or even constant light if the strobe is inadequate.
You may be misunderstanding my flying situations; I do NOT fly at night (illegal) so I can deal with obstacles either with the obstacle-avoidance sensors or visually by turning the drone around to check for objects using the camera and screen on my controller. As it is daylight I can see most obstacles and do not need a light to illuminate them..
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm getting at, wasn't even talking about at night.

If you're 3,000 feet away from your drone, even tho you can see the light flashing on it, you can't always see a guy wire near it from 3,000 feet away. Likewise if a tree is on the horizon and your drone is also roughly in the same spot, you can't easily tell if your drone is 20 feet from the tree or 150 feet from the tree without having to rotate the camera at it and rely on the screen. Likewise you are less likely to observe something else such as a bird of prey approaching the drone from that distance away. It's all mostly 2 dimensional when you get that far away and the drone is just a blinking dot.

If you're 3,000 feet away from your drone, even tho you can see the light flashing on it, you can't always see a guy wire near it from 3,000 feet away. Likewise if a tree is on the horizon and your drone is also roughly in the same spot, you can't easily tell if your drone is 20 feet from the tree or 150 feet from the tree without having to rotate the camera at it and rely on the screen. Likewise you are less likely to observe something else such as a bird of prey approaching the drone from that distance away. It's all mostly 2 dimensional when you get that far away and the drone is just a blinking dot.
Not sure why you would say that a light is not visible from 3,000ft (1 km) when the lights available that I have looked at make claims of 3km, or even 5km visible range. If I buy one I will see what it really is. But I do not even want to go out to 1km, much less 5kms. I just want to get better location of the drone at 500-1,000 metres. As for trees, wires etc, these disappear as an issue when I have the drone 80-100 metres above ground. I shall 'suck it and see'... IF I choose to buy a light. Anyway, I'm outa here. See ya round like a rissole!

This is what I use and where I position them. Posted in another similar string.

Hello!
I've looked at the various post on strobes and none answer my question.
Here goes, I purchased an Arc 5 for the top to meet the night flying requirement.
I also purchased a couple strobes which I want to use for navigation lighting, so I can see them at night.
Where would be a good spot to mount them for me to see, 1) on the front legs, 2) the front of the front arms, 3) bottom of the front arms? I would be using Velcro on the arms, or the rubber bands supplied on the legs.
Thanks
I velcroed mine to helicopter landing gear. Works great.

Attachments

• IMG_1534.jpeg
    IMG_1534.jpeg
    503.4 KB · Views: 7
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000