DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Strong Wind

Look at me I'm flying

Reactions
Does anyone know if the wind can flip the Mavic over? I try not to fly it in strong winds but I live by the sea and sometimes it can get strong fast. My way of dealing with it is to get it down as low as possible maybe 5 meters above the sea then, if that doesn't work I'm into sports mode.

I watched Youtube videos of people trying to get their drone back in strong winds and it's a mile up in the sky all I can think is you deserve to lose it.

Does anyone know if the wind can flip the Mavic over? I try not to fly it in strong winds but I live by the sea and sometimes it can get strong fast. My way of dealing with it is to get it down as low as possible maybe 5 meters above the sea then, if that doesn't work I'm into sports mode.

I watched Youtube videos of people trying to get their drone back in strong winds and it's a mile up in the sky all I can think is you deserve to lose it.
The wind won't flip your Mavic.
What you have to be cautious of is a wind that blows faster than your drone can fly against.
If the wind is strong enough the drone can be blown backwards.
It doesn't have to be that strong to cause problems.
If you fly downwind in a strong wind and turn for home to fight awhat's now a headwind, you could find your speed halved.
And that might be enough to keep the drone from getting back before the battery runs down.

Hello, higher you fly, stronger the wind is. Power consumption could be 8x time more striking the wind to return.
MPP can fly at 60km/h in sport mode, so against a strong wind, what should be his ground speed ?
A wise pilot said... strong wind ? no fly...

Thanks, Meta4 I experienced the terror of the drone drifting backward in the wind and it was going out to sea as well. This was also before I had the drone set up for sports mode, I just dropped it down and tried flying it at different angles until I got it back.

I never fly too far away from me and am constantly keeping an eye on the battery usually once it gets to 70% Ill start flying it closer to me if anything I'm probably too cautious.

And, coming in, folks are saying "strong wind." Are there numbers that folks should avoid? Like, ranges? Today, NWS said there would be gusts of 40 mp/h and that sounds treacherous. But that's just my gut feeling. Is there a chart, video, training somewhere that talks about wind?

And, coming in, folks are saying "strong wind." Are there numbers that folks should avoid? Like, ranges?
It's not as simple as one never-to-exceed windspeed.
Direction and distance are important factors to consider.
And, coming in, folks are saying "strong wind." Are there numbers that folks should avoid? Like, ranges? Today, NWS said there would be gusts of 40 mp/h and that sounds treacherous. But that's just my gut feeling. Is there a chart, video, training somewhere that talks about wind?
Your Mavic can't fly much faster than 40 mph going flat out in sport mode so it's not going to come home if you go any distance away downwind (apart from dangers of landing and launching in such winds).

Flying in moderately strong winds (20 mph) can be safe if you have a sheltered launch spot and stay close or fly upwind so that you have an easy return flight.
But that wind is going to be a big problem if you find your drone a long way downwind.
And factor in the fact that the wind up high is always going to be stronger than what you experience down on the ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
It's not as simple as one never-to-exceed windspeed.
Direction and distance are important factors to consider.

Your Mavic can't fly much faster than 40 mph going flat out in sport mode so it's not going to come home if you go any distance away downwind (apart from dangers of landing and launching in such winds).

Flying in moderately strong winds (20 mph) can be safe if you have a sheltered launch spot and stay close or fly upwind so that you have an easy return flight.
But that wind is going to be a big problem if you find your drone a long way downwind.
And factor in the fact that the wind up high is always going to be stronger than what you experience down on the ground.

All very good information, thank you!

Several years ago when flying my old phantom wind got up from nowhere and forcing me to land behind a large bush, which sheltered the phantom from the extreme wind, this was the only option to land as it was far too dangerous to hand catch even behind the bush, luckily everything went to plan and no damage to the phantom, hopefully some new drone flyer that finds them in a simular situation could use the same teqnique.

Never flipped one, but defintely seen my mavic fly the opposite direction intended going all out. if you get into that situation remember to strafe to the side, it should help you get out of the main gust of wind and with a little luck get the mavic back safely before the battery runs out.

One exception perhaps unique to Arizona... avoid dust devils (small twisters) they can cause any UAV to tumble.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa