DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sudden gps signal loss almost crashed my drone [Mini 2]

H47E

Reactions
Hello, today I flew around my neighborhood, taking some nice videos of a cathedral when suddenly I got the message "gps signal lost switching to atti mode". I got very scared as I noticed I barely in control of the drone.

I tried to to land it in the yard of the flat I live but was swaying too much in the wind but that would've been risky hitting the building, so I took it 5 minutes away from where I live and land it in a green space, at that point I came to the conclusion that the drone will be damaged as it landed, seeing on the screen that the signal was lost I quickly put shoes on so I run away to the potential crash site.

After I put shoes on I glanced at the phone screen realizing that the drone was in RTH. I got so relieved!!!!!!! Later on when I checked the footage, was one meter close hitting a tree before regaining GPS signal and commencing RTH. I was lucky that I managed to get the drone back however I already lost a lot of confidence flying it...

Now my question is if can someone with expertise help me analyze the flight records for me and tell me why it caused the GPS to lose signal and regaining it mid-flight. Is the gps module broken? on UAV forecast at the time the KP was 3.

Lemme know which files you need, I have an android if that helps

Thank you in advance

I got the message "gps signal lost switching to atti mode". I got very scared as I noticed I barely in control of the drone.
In atti mode, the drone loses horizontal position holding but you still have full control of the drone.

Now my question is if can someone with expertise help me analyze the flight records for me and tell me why it caused the GPS to lose signal and regaining it mid-flight. Is the gps module broken? on UAV forecast at the time the KP was 3.

Lemme know which files you need, I have an android if that helps
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
That will give you a detailed report of the flight.
Come back and post a link to the report it gives you.
Or .. just post the txt file here.

Reactions: db4476
First one is when the drone lost gps and 2nd is when gps regained GPS signal. Interesting how in the first flight you have the red path which I never took.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2022-09-16_[19-13-44].txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • DJIFlightRecord_2022-09-16_[19-24-55].txt
    235.8 KB · Views: 3
First one is when the drone lost gps and 2nd is when gps regained GPS signal. Interesting how in the first flight you have the red path which I never took.
At 4:38.2 your satellite numbers dropped from 26 to zero, despite the drone being 113 metres up with a full and clear skyview.
At the time it was 421 metres from the homepoint.
After that, your data contains some incorrect position information, from which the obviously incorrect speed and distance data comes.
This crazy data is the source of the red line and explains why the flight path shows the drone going >5 kilometres from home.

GPS reception returned to normal at 6:01.3, with the drone 380 metres from home and things were normal after that.

There's nothing to help understand the loss of GPS.
The sats would still have been in the sky, transmittting normally.
There was nothing that would have been blocking GPS signal at the height you flew.
It might have been a temporary glitch with a loose connection, or possibly something more serious.

I'd recommend cautious test flying in future to see if it was a one-off incident or if it happens again.

At 4:38.2 your satellite numbers dropped from 26 to zero, despite the drone being 113 metres up with a full and clear skyview.
At the time it was 421 metres from the homepoint.
After that, your data contains some incorrect position information, from which the obviously incorrect speed and distance data comes.
This crazy data is the source of the red line and explains why the flight path shows the drone going >5 kilometres from home.

GPS reception returned to normal at 6:01.3, with the drone 380 metres from home and things were normal after that.

There's nothing to help understand the loss of GPS.
The sats would still have been in the sky, transmittting normally.
There was nothing that would have been blocking GPS signal at the height you flew.
It might have been a temporary glitch with a loose connection, or possibly something more serious.

I'd recommend cautious test flying in future to see if it was a one-off incident or if it happens again.
That's unfortunate, I have never seen GPS drop on my phone unless I am going into a tunnel let alone 100 meters high in the air... I got very lucky this time! I just hope there's nothing wrong with the drone... I will do a test today and fly over the same spot where the GPS dropped.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000