DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sun flare with ND filters

mojopong

Reactions
I'm new to this forum and am on my 2nd DJI drone. Started with the Spark now have the Mavic Air. I love taking mainly photos of the sunrise and the sunset around the lake where I live. I thought that ND filters would remove the sun flare from my photos but it hasn't. Not fully sure I understand how the best way to use the filters is I was using Auto mode and did notice the pictures a little darker and clearer but still had sun flare.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I did search the net and on here just not sure which settings in Manuel mode would be best for what I'm trying to achieve.org_8d31ea11ddece7ec_1552863382000.jpg

I thought that ND filters would remove the sun flare from my photos but it hasn't.
When intense light enters a camera lens from an angle outside normal field of view, it may be reflected multiple times within the groups of lens elements contained in a typical camera lens. This causes lens flare.
Shooting directly at the sun only makes that worse.
Adding an ND filter will only reduce the light level, forcing a slower shutter speed to get good exposure.
But by adding additional glass/air surfaces for light to reflect/refract off and through, you may even increase the flare.

The simplest way to prevent flare is to stop shooting at the sun.
There are many more interesting and visually attractive compositions and lighting options than shooting straight at the sun.
Try exploring some of them too.
just not sure which settings in Manuel mode would be best for what I'm trying to achieve.
A properly exposed image is a properly exposed image whether you shoot with an auto exposure system or not.

btw .. If you are shooting stills, unless you have a particular reason to slow the shutter speed, the ND filter isn't doing anything to improve the image.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
When intense light enters a camera lens from an angle outside normal field of view, it may be reflected multiple times within the groups of lens elements contained in a typical camera lens. This causes lens flare.
Shooting directly at the sun only makes that worse.
Adding an ND filter will only reduce the light level, forcing a slower shutter speed to get good exposure.
But by adding additional glass/air surfaces for light to reflect/refract off and through, you may even increase the flare.

The simplest way to prevent flare is to stop shooting at the sun.
There are many more interesting and visually attractive compositions and lighting options than shooting straight at the sun.
Try exploring some of them too.

A properly exposed image is a properly exposed image whether you shoot with an auto exposure system or not.

btw .. If you are shooting stills, unless you have a particular reason to slow the shutter speed, the ND filter isn't doing anything to improve the image.

Ok thanks for the advice i'll try shooting in some other angles. I did take some with the sun behind me and of the trees and such and they came out good. Guess i'll try some other things before returning the filters since they may not be for me since as of right now I am mainly wanting to take pictures/time-lapses.

I'm new to this forum and am on my 2nd DJI drone. Started with the Spark now have the Mavic Air. I love taking mainly photos of the sunrise and the sunset around the lake where I live. I thought that ND filters would remove the sun flare from my photos but it hasn't. Not fully sure I understand how the best way to use the filters is I was using Auto mode and did notice the pictures a little darker and clearer but still had sun flare.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I did search the net and on here just not sure which settings in Manuel mode would be best for what I'm trying to achieve.View attachment 66447

I was having the same issue so I bought a lens hood for my Air. It prevents flare when light enters the lens peripherally. It fits perfectly, looks good, and is quite reasonably priced. Check it out:

IMG_1804.JPGIMG_1804.JPG

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
renevista