DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Sunset Time lapse-Mavic 2 Pro not very stable

Dale, that African sunset is an amazing image. As far as your shakiness problem, I don't know the answer, but something is wrong. It's not a matter of how many frames per second, etc. Changing things like that will alter the look of your video, and that includes speeding up a normal video. What you're getting is exactly what the gimbal is supposed to eliminate, like in @Thomas B video in post #2.
So do you think there is a gimbal problem? I have gone crazy doing daily gimbal calibrations and adjustments.

So do you think there is a gimbal problem? I have gone crazy doing daily gimbal calibrations and adjustments.
Like I said, I don't know the answer, but that's what the gimbal is for; to keep pointing at the same thing, regardless of wind, and of course, the changes in attitude of the drone while just flying it. It nosedives when you slow down, noses up when you accelerate etc. The gimbal is supposed to counteract those movements and keep your images stable.

Like I said, I don't know the answer, but that's what the gimbal is for; to keep pointing at the same thing, regardless of wind, and of course, the changes in attitude of the drone while just flying it. It nosedives when you slow down, noses up when you accelerate etc. The gimbal is supposed to counteract those movements and keep your images stable.
In summary, there is really no-one in this entire Forum world wide, who can really explain the jittery videos. I also think that there really is no answer. The true explanation is that the gimbal cannot perform this job. There is no real stability of the drone to remain in a fixed single position for 25 minutes!There are small tiny movements and they cannot be corrected by the gimbal's gyroscopes or adjustments, nor can these videos be stabilize in software like warp stabilization . Best way to capture these timelapse sunsets is still a very sturdy tripod from terra firms!

In summary, there is really no-one in this entire Forum world wide, who can really explain the jittery videos. I also think that there really is no answer. The true explanation is that the Mavic 2 Pro gimbal cannot perform this job. There is no real stability of the drone to remain in a fixed single position for 25 minutes!There are small tiny movements (even with absolutely no wind) and they cannot be corrected by the gimbal's gyroscopes or adjustments, nor can these videos be stabilize in software like warp stabilization . Best way to capture these timelapse sunsets is still a very sturdy tripod from terra firms!
Here are two examples of sunset timelapses. Both were taken using a sturdy tripod from ground level ( not drone). Both were processed with RAW images using LRTimelapse5.Both are taken on a trip to Athens.

Reactions: Thomas B
I experimented today with several 2 second intervals. I only chose a 5 second time lapse. Both were not distant like a sunrise/sunset but the shakiness improved big time. I normally do sunrises as I have an early work schedule. Hopefully I can try tomorrow morning with infinity focus and get the distant shots. I've tried speeding up videos but about half the time they are not stable enough for my liking, even after stabilizing with an editor.

In summary, there is really no-one in this entire Forum world wide, who can really explain the jittery videos. I also think that there really is no answer. The true explanation is that the gimbal cannot perform this job. There is no real stability of the drone to remain in a fixed single position for 25 minutes!There are small tiny movements and they cannot be corrected by the gimbal's gyroscopes or adjustments, nor can these videos be stabilize in software like warp stabilization . Best way to capture these timelapse sunsets is still a very sturdy tripod from terra firms!
Sorry, I strongly disagree. I see perfectly stable drone videos of 20 minutes or so, all the time. The gimbal works. Perhaps nobody has explained it yet, but that doesn't mean they won't. Stand by.
BTW, those two sunsets you did with a tripod, are very nice.

Here are two examples of sunset timelapses. Both were taken using a sturdy tripod from ground level ( not drone). Both were processed with RAW images using LRTimelapse5.Both are taken on a trip to Athens.
Very nice!
might want a bit of color grading or change recording settings to get enhanced colors.

Very nice!
might want a bit of color grading or change recording settings to get enhanced colors.
These are old examples before I even knew about video editing! I agree that they could use some color grading but they are part of my archives now and I really don't want to completely re-do the video. I was mainly looking for an example of timelapse sunsets.

Sorry, I strongly disagree. I see perfectly stable drone videos of 20 minutes or so, all the time. The gimbal works. Perhaps nobody has explained it yet, but that doesn't mean they won't. Stand by.
BTW, those two sunsets you did with a tripod, are very nice.
I really am glad you disagree. I have found someone out there who has seen stable drone videos. Are they of timelapses? Please help me solve this problem if you know why I am getting jittery video drone timelapses. I am wondering about the health of my gimbal and really don't want to send it away. It's my only toy for the quarantine.

Dale,
Just a thought... have you tried changing props to se if this corrects the problem?
Thomas- no I hadn't thought of that but I will try it and let the forum know as soon as I can repeat it.

Reactions: Thomas B
Hyperlapse is timelapse videography that compensates for slight camera movements.

Possible reasons you're not successful:

1. UAS was moving more than you thought.
2. Gimbal settings are off, reset from dji go.
3. Software outdated on your aircaft. Try reflashing the firmware if it's updated to latest.

Another point, I looked at your footage, that's easily fixed in Adobe After Effects with a little work.

Warp stabilizer in Premiere is mediocre at it's basic function.

Hyperlapse is timelapse videography that compensates for slight camera movements.

Possible reasons you're not successful:

1. UAS was moving more than you thought.
2. Gimbal settings are off, reset from dji go.
3. Software outdated on your aircaft. Try reflashing the firmware if it's updated to latest.

Another point, I looked at your footage, that's easily fixed in Adobe After Effects with a little work.

Warp stabilizer in Premiere is mediocre at it's basic function.
Thanks for this. Point 1 could be true, for sure but I cannot control that. Point 2- gimbal was totally recalibrated two times before flying; Point 3. all software and updates are current. I did run the clip through Adobe Premiere Pro warp stabilization. Do you think Adobe After Effects Warp Stabilization is different than Premiere Pro Warp Stabilization? If so, I can easily run it through After Effects. I own the entire suite.

Thanks for this. Point 1 could be true, for sure but I cannot control that. Point 2- gimbal was totally recalibrated two times before flying; Point 3. all software and updates are current. I did run the clip through Adobe Premiere Pro warp stabilization. Do you think Adobe After Effects Warp Stabilization is different than Premiere Pro Warp Stabilization? If so, I can easily run it through After Effects. I own the entire suite.

Premiere has basic levels of video effects, After Effects is what you should be using. Diffence is like using Photoshop VS mspaint.

I saved this tutorial since the guy is so particular about having smooth "hyperlapse" photography.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851