DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Taking drone flying classes?

Hbr/fly-air2

Reactions
Hi hope I’m not posting to much for you guys. Newbie and all. I’ve been fly my MA2 for about 2.5 hours now. Got over the initial aw of just flying. I want to get good at cinematic flying. Is online drone classes worth it? Who with? Also an in person school recommendation please? I live in Crockett, Thanks

I really do not think so.
Practice in the most open areas that you can find.
Watch other video and keep practicing.

Concur with above, you have to learn how to fly and control first, and then roll into "Filming" as a complete package. If you jump this quick into how to frame shots, your flying skills at this point are probably going to get you into trouble. There is more than enough Youtube videos to show how to frame and accomplish Cinematic shots that you can review. Don't put all your eggs in the same basket...you probably won't have a basket. :p these things take time...you would do well to practice your flying and give a glace down at your screen to see your view as you would be filming.

Honestly just hit record and fly. Once done load your video into your computer and observe what you captured and see where you could adjust and how, then go and practice that the next time...baby steps are best. :) And with the Newbie comment...that is what we are here for, we all started somewhere at some time...your up ;)

About a year ago in my hometown, a community college was offering a drone course. Ad offered flying tips, camera settings, how to read flight data info and some legal information. Sounded interesting but my schedule didn’t allow for it.
Maybe something an experienced flyer could offer.

My advice is nothing like practice, take things slow & easy away from obstacles and your confidence will soon grow.
For video tips YouTube is your friend.

Reactions: eaglesurfing
Honestly just hit record and fly. Once done load your video into your computer and observe what you captured and see where you could adjust and how, then go and practice that the next time...baby steps are best. :) And with the Newbie comment...that is what we are here for, we all started somewhere at some time...your up
I just thought this was worth a second look..great advice Repaid!

I just thought this was worth a second look..great advice Repaid!

Thanks been there done that, and I am far from any expert or cinematographer. But I do get around...If you want to learn tricks of the trade, follow I2 threads. Those guys are making the huge payout and they know their stuff. I have learned tons of info from them over the years. Thumbswayup

As to the OP, go to a wide open field somewhere and practice using your smart shots that DJI includes. They can spice up your videos for you while you learn how to do things manual ;) When SDK get's released programs such as Litchi will do the flying and camera work for you...again while you learn, so you don't feel left out from the YouTube world LOL :cool:.

Last edited:
You live in a great place for scenic views and historic places too. Good luck. I don't remember the name of the first park on the right as you come in from Vallejo side. A good empty parking lot and lots of open space to practice. Enjoy!

You live in a great place for scenic views and historic places too. Good luck. I don't remember the name of the first park on the right as you come in from Vallejo side. A good empty parking lot and lots of open space to practice. Enjoy!
Sorry, but where is Vallejo in east Texas?

• Haha
Reactions: pelagic_one

Hey Bud,

I live in Walnut Creek. I could meet with you. I enjoy flying near the Carquinez Bridge.

All you really need to do is go out and fly. Your in Crockett so just go under the bridge and head west along the railroad tracks. Take your time and go thru all the drone flight settings, burn thru your batteries and go back the next day. You can figure this out. Go practice. I get it, it is intimidating at first. I think you will find it's dooable.

Good luck.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000