DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TFR Translation

Tjololo

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I've noticed a few times now (including right at this moment, 0843 on 10/19) there's a new TFR in the DC SFRA. Usually the SFRA allows drone flight, but now airhub shows "DO NOT FLY". Reading the TFR (4/9433) has me just confused. It looks like drone flight is now expressly disallowed in the SFRA without a waiver? It's a lot of info in that NOTAM, could someone potentially do me a favor and translate this into English for me? 4/9433 NOTAM Details Can I fly? If I need to get a waiver, do I just put something in on dronezone or somewhere? I'm just confused :(

EDIT: Some of the nuggets I've picked out:

A SEPARATE NOTAM REFERENCES THE WASHINGTON DC FLIGHT RESTRICTED ZONE (FRZ) PROCEDURES AND OPERATIONS BY UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS), INCLUDING MODEL AIRCRAFT (HOBBYIST OR RECREATIONAL UAS ONLY), CIVIL AND COMMERCIAL OPERATIONS, AND PUBLIC OPERATIONS WITHIN THE SFRA.

Is that to say that there's another NOTAM for UAS use within the FRZ, or that there is a separate NOTAM for the FRZ procedures, and another one for operations by UAS? I'm guessing the former, in which case I don't care because we've never been able to fly in the FRZ anyway.

THIS NOTAM AND THREE RELATED NOTAMS REGARDING THE: DC FLIGHT RESTRICTED ZONE (FRZ); LEESBURG MANEUVERING AREA (LMA); AND UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEM (UAS) OPERATIONS IN THE DC SFRA, CLARIFY AND SUPPLEMENT THE OPERATING REQUIREMENTS PRESCRIBED BY THE CITED 14 CFR SECTIONS.

What are the three related NOTAMs? This sentence leads credence to the latter interpretation of the former sentence, but it doesn't list the related NOTAMs.

8. OPERATIONS BY UNMANNED AIRCRAFT SYSTEMS (UAS), INCLUDING MODEL AIRCRAFT (HOBBYIST OR RECREATIONAL USE ONLY), CIVIL AND COMMERCIAL OPERATIONS, AND PUBLIC OPERATIONS, ARE ONLY AUTHORIZED WITHIN THE DC SFRA, EXCLUDING THE DC FRZ, IF IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE SEPARATE FAA NOTAM, WHICH PRESCRIBES UAS-SPECIFIC OPERATING REQUIREMENTS IN THE DC SFRA.
This also specifies a separate NOTAM, but doesn't indicate which one. Thanks FAA.

B. ANY PILOT QUESTIONS REGARDING DC SFRA OR FRZ PROCEDURES SHOULD BE DIRECTED TO THE FAA SYSTEM OPERATIONS SECURITY REPRESENTATIVE AT THE NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION COORDINATION CENTER (NCRCC) AT 2409032030-PERM END PART 7 OF 9 FDC 4/9433 ZDC PART 8 OF 9 SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, WASHINGTON, DC. THIS NOTAM [email protected] OR (866) 598-9522.

This breaks across a part, but am I correct in assuming that email address is for questions for this waiver, or for all waivers? When I go to the waiver site at the bottom of the NOTAM (waivers.faa.gov) the only waiver I can ask for is for the FRZ, which I'm not even going to try for since it's basically impossible. I just want to follow the rules

Last edited:
Reactions: Cafguy
In English: It basically means Forget it! To fly in that area would require you to be vetted by the TSA (background checks) and even then its not happening. The Notam you show is a permanent one for the national defense area it extends 30 miles in all directions.
If I need to get a waiver, do I just put something in on dronezone or somewhere? I'm just confused :(

If you are looking about info on how to fly in the area the answer is NO! BUT You can apply for a waiver that requires you to go thru a background check from the federal Government. You would also need to file a detailed flight plan. carry an aviation radio to stay in contact with the Washington controllers. plus you would need to install a transponder on your Drone. RID is NOT a Transponder. Finally to fly you would need to complete an online FAA course. Anyone flying in that area MUST take the course. After you have done all of this the answer will be NO.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RickDan