DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

THE "5 REASONS I’M ALLOWED TO FLY HERE" CARD

eroomomni

Reactions
This post isn’t unlike the many others voicing their frustration in being treated like a criminal for simply enjoying a flight as far away from people as possible. Yesterday, I was once again stopped by three separate security personnel, driving their marked security vehicles. Apparently there was to be an event later in the day and they were tasked with driving around making sure the shuttle signs and pylons were in place. My rule for flying is “early and away”. For that reason it was early, about 7:30 AM on a weekend, and I had walked high up on a hilltop far from anyone in what most would call wilderness area. My flying was quite a distance from anyone. For the record, yesterday's flight was identical to the flights I began doing in 2007 with a Slow Stick and mounted camera. So, with 10 years experience seeking out a remote flying location around the United States, I'm not what you'd call a NOOB. Soon the first guard stopped his vehicle and yelled the 300 yards up the hill for me to come down and asked if I was flying something. After I landed, packed and started my 2 mile hike home, another drove up and proceeded to interrogate me. He took a photo of me for their “files”. Then the big boss came. She proceeded to tell me I was flying over private property and asked if my drone was registered and asked for my “card”. By the way, I am fairly opposed to the YouTubers who video cops and treat police officers with disrespect. But this was a bit ridiculous as I am a home owner in an HOA and those uniformed security guards are not residents there. Here I was with two marked security trucks blocking traffic and I’m made to look to those passing by as though I was a criminal who had broken some law. HERE’S MY ADVICE TO SECURITY (seriously): If you spot a remote controlled aircraft flying around the area you are responsible to “patrol”, simply observe for about 20 minutes. The “subject of your investigation” will probably go through all their batteries and land and go home. They will most likely not be back. All is well. If they damage property or fly near residence or business windows or break any FAA rules, then see if you can contact them. BUT, read the rules first so you don’t appear ignorant, stating what is not the law. If they are there everyday in the same place, seek them out and make a friend. Blood pressures will remain low and you might have some pleasant conversation. Not to mention, you won’t be filling out paperwork for your boss later that day. If you are reading this and would like to also advise your fellow-flyers of some simple “5 REASONS I’M ALLOWED TO FLY HERE” principals, perhaps many would print this out and keep with their drone pack to pull out and read to an interrogator who is harassing them. Something like this: 1. FAA Code# XXX states that air space is not private property, etc. (I’m not certain this is true or not but would love to have a “5 REASONS I’M ALLOWED TO FLY HERE” card for myself). It might just help to keep the peace and help to promote cool heads.

Last edited:
So what did you say to the big boss?
Basically I politely asked them to delete my photo, I don't carry and "card", My FAA number was labeled under the battery and there was no need for her to make note of it, No, she couldn't take down my phone number and that I was happy to not fly there today.

Reactions: Harryw
Was this private security or LEOs?
Help me out here, what is a "LEO"? Essentially, they are paid security of an HOA that patrols a township. They have a gold star on the door of their pickup truck so they appear as official as Chuck Norris.

Help me out here, what is an "LEO"? Essentially, they are paid security of an HOA that patrols a township. They have a gold star on the door of their pickup truck so they appear as official as Chuck Norris.

Law Enforcement Officer.

Local security are funny. One neighborhood in Brooklyn employs these. They tried to bully me into moving my car after I blocked a double-parked truck (long story, truck blocked me, had busted door. They ignored me requesting to move the truck so I can pull out of parking spot. So I moved my car few feet so they couldn't get in. They called the neighborhood security). So security threatened to arrest me. I already called the cops. When local security heard the sirens, they vanished like ninjas. Cops came by, put about 5 tickets on a truck and told me that local security tends to bully people in this area anyway.

So yeah, let cops resolve issues, not some "look at me, I have a badge from cereal box"

Help me out here, what is a "LEO"? Essentially, they are paid security of an HOA that patrols a township. They have a gold star on the door of their pickup truck so they appear as official as Chuck Norris.
I'm curious what kind of authority these people really have. I would be doubtful they have any authority whatsoever except to possibly either call LEO or file a report with the FAA and either of those would probably lack luster. I guess I've been lucky, the only place I've ever been questioned or called out for flying was the Sydney Harbor and I honestly didn't know it was illegal to fly there. I had asked on this forum months in advance and even checked the CASA website. They were polite and I promptly stopped and never returned. Other than that, I have not had any issues.

Reactions: Piggy
I would of handed them this and walked away.
Beautiful. Thank you for your post. This is exactly what I was interested in, and equally hoping others would get a chance to see this, in the event of unpleasant confrontations. I think in the heat of the moment, people get nervous, feel threatened and simply forget what to say, which leads to volatile behavior, resulting in saying and doing things they regret. Most conversations/confrontations are without "reasoning" with each other. I sincerely hope others will post some ideas like the uploaded document Flyboy posted, if not only for my benefit, others might be better prepared. Thank you again.

Last edited:

Wait a minute.....Chuck Norris is pretty official! Of course I agree with you that as for the rest..... who knows.

Beautiful. Thank you for your post. This is exactly what I was interested in, and equally hoping others would get a chance to see this, in the event of unpleasant confrontations. I think in the heat of the moment, people get nervous, feel threatened and simply forget what to say, which leads to volatile behavior, resulting in saying and doing things they regret. Most conversations/confrontations are without "reasoning" with each other. I sincerely others will post some ideas like the uploaded document Flyboy posted, if not only for my benefit, others might be better prepared. Thank you again.
My pleasure. I've only had one no-so-good encounter with a neighbor who thought I was following her with my drone. Turned out this lady was overly paranoid as her van was recently broken into. With some Irish diplomacy I sent her on her way. It would have been easier just to hand her this paper and walk away.

I'd say to be more exact, there are some issues with the letter. Keeping AC within visual range and contacting airport when with 5 miles are requirements, not recommendations (under Section 336). Not flying over people or over stadiums (at certain times) are under separate restrictions (safety issues and the FAA's ability to create NFZs).

For hobby use.

However, the intentions of the letter appear sound.

Reactions: Pdxpaul
I'd say to be more exact, there are some issues with the letter. Keeping AC within visual range and contacting airport when with 5 miles are requirements, not recommendations (under Section 336). Not flying over people or over stadiums (at certain times) are under separate restrictions (safety issues and the FAA's ability to create NFZs).

For hobby use.

However, the intentions of the letter appear sound.

Good points - this was put together several years ago, changed and plagiarized a few times. I believe the hobby use page was taken from the FAA website

The intention - hand the person questioning your authorization to fly your drone this paper and then walk away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rbruz and tcope
This post isn’t unlike the many others voicing their frustration in being treated like a criminal for simply enjoying a flight as far away from people as possible. Yesterday, I was once again stopped by three separate security personnel, driving their marked security vehicles. Apparently there was to be an event later in the day and they were tasked with driving around making sure the shuttle signs and pylons were in place. My rule for flying is “early and away”. For that reason it was early, about 7:30 AM on a weekend, and I had walked high up on a hilltop far from anyone in what most would call wilderness area. My flying was quite a distance from anyone. For the record, yesterday's flight was identical to the flights I began doing in 2007 with a Slow Stick and mounted camera. So, with 10 years experience seeking out a remote flying location around the United States, I'm not what you'd call a NOOB. Soon the first guard stopped his vehicle and yelled the 300 yards up the hill for me to come down and asked if I was flying something. After I landed, packed and started my 2 mile hike home, another drove up and proceeded to interrogate me. He took a photo of me for their “files”. Then the big boss came. She proceeded to tell me I was flying over private property and asked if my drone was registered and asked for my “card”. By the way, I am fairly opposed to the YouTubers who video cops and treat police officers with disrespect. But this was a bit ridiculous as I am a home owner in an HOA and those uniformed security guards are not residents there. Here I was with two marked security trucks blocking traffic and I’m made to look to those passing by as though I was a criminal who had broken some law. HERE’S MY ADVICE TO SECURITY (seriously): If you spot a remote controlled aircraft flying around the area you are responsible to “patrol”, simply observe for about 20 minutes. The “subject of your investigation” will probably go through all their batteries and land and go home. They will most likely not be back. All is well. If they damage property or fly near residence or business windows or break any FAA rules, then see if you can contact them. BUT, read the rules first so you don’t appear ignorant, stating what is not the law. If they are there everyday in the same place, seek them out and make a friend. Blood pressures will remain low and you might have some pleasant conversation. Not to mention, you won’t be filling out paperwork for your boss later that day. If you are reading this and would like to also advise your fellow-flyers of some simple “5 REASONS I’M ALLOWED TO FLY HERE” principals, perhaps many would print this out and keep with their drone pack to pull out and read to an interrogator who is harassing them. Something like this: 1. FAA Code# XXX states that air space is not private property, etc. (I’m not certain this is true or not but would love to have a “5 REASONS I’M ALLOWED TO FLY HERE” card for myself). It might just help to keep the peace and help to promote cool heads.

I'm assuming you're not doing anything illegal.
You have no obligation to even speak to hired security. None.
If you want to waste your time talking to some stranger that is harassing you then that's on you.
If they are bothering you tell them to go away. If they will not go away YOU are the one that should call law enforcement.

I have a copy of the current Canadian regs with me when I fly...but as yet I haven't had any issues with people trying to tell me that I'm not allowed to fly wherever that happens to be at the time.

I'm assuming you're not doing anything illegal.
You have no obligation to even speak to hired security. None.
If you want to waste your time talking to some stranger that is harassing you then that's on you.
If they are bothering you tell them to go away. If they will not go away YOU are the one that should call law enforcement.
You are correct. I was NOT flying illegally. If I were to do it over again, I would NOT have engaged in that conversation. I was trying to be the nice guy. Unfortunately, that seems to swing the door wide open for extended conversation and gratification of their power verbal chest bumps. I really think I will be printing the finished verbiage that comes out of this forum and will keep it in my Mavic case. I can't help but hope we all consider this since it's only gonna get more regulated and paranoia will not diminish any time soon.

Reactions: KentA and FLYBOYJ

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jw312569