DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thinking of upgrading my controller: what is best to buy?

Ok, searching for an upgrade to a higher model than the Mini 2 I have now and I have been browsing the internet for some hours now ;)
On techradar I found the following:
The Air 2S is undoubtedly a better overall drone than the Mavic 2 Pro. It brings size and weight savings, despite also housing a camera with a 1-inch sensor, and offers better high ISO noise handling and improved video capture to boot. If you’re a stills photographer, then the Air 2S is the best option for you. But if you're mainly looking to shoot video, the decision isn't quite as simple.
On the one hand, the Air 2S can capture higher resolution 5.4K video up to 30fps and resolutions of 4K video at up to 60fps compared to the Mavic 2 Pro’s maximum of 4k at 30fps.

Should I take that in consideration or not?
The Mavic Pro 2 is an excellent drone with an excellent camera. Note that among the DJI controllers with screens built in, only the original Smart Controller RM500 will work with it.

I *don’t* know what the situation will be for Remote ID in the EU. If it becomes required in the future it’s unknown whether DJI will supply RID as a firmware update for the Mavic 2 drones, or whether owners will have to use an external broadcast module. Since the US deadline is coming up in mid-September we’re likely to learn DJI’s plans soon.

The Air 2S *does* have native RID with the latest firmware update in the USA.

The primary use of 4k 60fps available on the A2S is for slow motion of moving subjects like sports, cars, wildlife, etc. Is that important to you?

The Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom are getting older. At some point getting batteries, props, and other short-life pieces will become more difficult. Of course eventually that will be true for the Air 2S as well.

There is no one right answer for everyone. Each drone is better or worse at this or that function… a heavier drone is better in higher winds, but trekkers who hike in mountainous areas will want a lighter drone in their packs. Etc.

Reactions: Ronny St.
The Mavic Pro 2 is an excellent drone with an excellent camera. Note that among the DJI controllers with screens built in, only the original Smart Controller RM500 will work with it.

I *don’t* know what the situation will be for Remote ID in the EU. If it becomes required in the future it’s unknown whether DJI will supply RID as a firmware update for the Mavic 2 drones, or whether owners will have to use an external broadcast module. Since the US deadline is coming up in mid-September we’re likely to learn DJI’s plans soon.

The Air 2S *does* have native RID with the latest firmware update in the USA.

The primary use of 4k 60fps available on the A2S is for slow motion of moving subjects like sports, cars, wildlife, etc. Is that important to you?

The Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom are getting older. At some point getting batteries, props, and other short-life pieces will become more difficult. Of course eventually that will be true for the Air 2S as well.

There is no one right answer for everyone. Each drone is better or worse at this or that function… a heavier drone is better in higher winds, but trekkers who hike in mountainous areas will want a lighter drone in their packs. Etc.
You're absolutely correct that choosing a for a large part a personal matter, depending what your needs are.
But I am confident that the M2 Pro will be a huge update in quality for me, but certainly not ignoring the fact that the Mini 2 is a superb drone!

Well, I just made an appointment for this evening to see a second-hand M2 pro with smart controller for 800€. I think I will go for that one :)

Bought it :) It was purchased by someone that only used it a few times but found the drone thing 'too complex' to go any further, so I think I made a good deal.
I'm doing some testing now indoors since the weather in Belgium is terrible at this moment (rain and wind).
Switching everything on I get the message 'Firmware update required'. It is now 01.00.0510 (never been updated since the original purchase). So should I update? I must admit I am thinking of installing the drone-hacks to have FCC mode so that I get a better connection. But I cannot see what firmware it wants to update and maybe it will be a version that is not supported by drone-hacks...
Another issue is installing Litchi on the smart controller. But I am working on that and made a separate topic here on that matter.

Before you click on the update button, check the release notes on the DJI website.
It will fly fine on the firmware that you currently have.
Thanks, I will ignore the message of 'Firmware update required'. I think it is ok not to update anything (app version, fly safe databases, etc) as long as everything seems to work properly. The slogan 'It it isn't broken, don't fix it' is one of my favorites ;)

Be careful on the indoor stuff. Plenty of posts that indicate potential problems.

Reactions: Ronny St.
Personally, I would grab that Smart Controller demo.
I believe it to be the most versatile RC there is. I use it with my Phantom 4 Pro V2, Air 2s, Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom, and Mini-2. It will run Go4 app and Fly app. It has a much brighter screen (though not as bright or as big as the POS Crystal Sky and others like the Trpltek) it has HDMI out. (I have two of the Smart Controllers, there is a special reason for that, with the Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom)
As to power, I think the OP is flying a Mini2, probably more hobbyist than demanding professional work.
Will it work with the Mavic 3 series? NO. will it work with and be compatible with the millions of DJI drones listed above that will be flying for years and be easily resellable if the OP moves up to a Mini 3 or whatever? Absolutely YES

Hello,
To get rid of the hassle of having to mount my smartphone every time to the RC-N1 and to get a better screen in bright light conditions, I am thinking of upgrading my controller. On the internet I found there are 4 DJI controllers: RC-N1, DJI RC, DJI smart controller and the RC Pro. The latter is a bit too expensive for my needs and does not work with the Mini 2 for as far as I found. But on the internet the names are often puzzling and the RM330 is sometimes called the smart controller.
View attachment 161738
The RC RM330 seems to be being discontinued by DJI, and is now available for about 300$.
On the site of DJI I get different versions when I search for 'DJI Smart Controller'. I first see

View attachment 161739

and then a pop-up window appears with another picture:
View attachment 161740

So now I am completely confused and to find some clarity in this matter, I want to turn me to this forum in order to make the right and best good choice.
I want to use it for Litchi and be able to run the Mavic Air 2 fcc.apk on it.
Which controller is the best for me?
Thanks for responding and helping me out!
Greetings from Belgium,
Ronny
Hi Ronny! Interesting to read that you see it as a "problem and hassle" to mount a phone to the RC-N1. For me it takes less then a minute but I solved it by using a stationary Iphone on the controller mainly because I DO NOT LIKE when the screen is at the lover part because you partly cover the screen with you thumbs. Crazy design.

I am so surprised by this, as I have been flying both a Mini 2 and an Air 2S with the original Smart Controller. What is the source of these statements? They contradict both DJI’s guidance and my own direct experience. Perhaps DJI did some work on the Fly app for better compatibility; I’m running the latest firmware on Smart Controller and drones..

I’d keep the Smart Controller in the mix to consider. In my personal experience it has been great with the Mini 2 and the Air 2s, as well as the Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Zoom for which it was originally designed.
I agree, i,also still run my smart controller with my A2s,and mini 2, it works great,and NEVER a problem Just my opinion! I also have M3P with the DJI RC, it's great for the M3P but I don't use it with the A2s. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gottawonder