DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

This has probably been asked, but what is the maximum size SD card that I can use?

Are you getting the use of the full 256Gb? The manual (v2.0) claims support up to 128Gb only. What happens if you try to record the 129th Gb of video?

As you are going to need to change batteries more frequently than cards, already, I would probably go for smaller cards, which makes getting faster cards somewhat less prohibitively expensive.

Reactions: WAXMAN
Do you plan on keeping everything on the card and not offloading to a PC / Mac? I have a 128 and never come close to maximizing it but I do my best to offload after every flight. 512 is just a waste of money. Seriously, spend it on something else.

Reactions: WAXMAN
I don't know if what I've done is a problem or not. The use of the card was accidental. I was shuffling cards between devices and did not realize I had loaded a rather large card into the Smart Controller. It is also officially limited to 128gigs, I believe. Now, what I can't report is how well it will work beyond it's somewhat limited use right now. Will the card create buffering or write problems even with smaller files and not much use. Will there be more problems if I fill it up more? Don't know the answers. I plan to move back to a more reasonable card size.

Storage Space.jpg

256Gb equals a lot of video time. Personally I swap the card with each battery change. I'd rather have a couple more cards and spread my footage across them in case something goes wrong.

This old geezer also uses 64gb, U3, Sandisk and I too like to start with an empty card.

The ONLY reason I could see using anything larger is if the operator does not want to offload data files until they have to offload due to limited storage remaining. Why someone would do that, I don't know, but that's the only reason I can think of to use larger than 64. Heck, even on a day with lots of recordings, I never come close to reaching the capacity of the card so for me, 128 or larger would be a waste of money. The truth is, for most operators, I would imagine that a 32gb card is plenty and *I* probably wasted a bit of moolah on the 64's. :)

I bought a 2 pack of 128 GB V60 cards from a photo shop in New York. V30 is the minimum card speed for 4K video. I don't need that much space, but as with everything related to computers if I need 10 I get 20 so to speak. More is always better in storage size. When you get close to filling up any type of storage, things slow down as it has to compute the file system and pack it in.

Reactions: TR Ganey
Also 64Gb (as they are the sweet spot on price) and change every battery change so I only use the last flight at most.

There is no point in going any larger unless the 128Gb become the best price point . Even then change card when changing battery. BTW due to Wear Levelling changing the card every flight will extend the life of the card.

The seller of the Fly More Combo added a bunch of bonus stuff on top of the combo and one of them was a Sandisk 64gb SD UHS card. I removed the 16gb factory supplied card and been using it for other things. I've used the 64gb exclusively for all my flights and unload and reformat it after each use of my 3 batteries. I haven't come close to needing a bigger one yet, plenty of space. So unless you're keeping all you flight videos on the card I see no reason to use any larger sized ones.

Reactions: Macadder
The seller of the Fly More Combo added a bunch of bonus stuff on top of the combo and one of them was a Sandisk 64gb SD UHS card. I removed the 16gb factory supplied card and been using it for other things. I've used the 64gb exclusively for all my flights and unload and reformat it after each use of my 3 batteries. I haven't come close to needing a bigger one yet, plenty of space. So unless you're keeping all you flight videos on the card I see no reason to use any larger sized ones.
Me too, and always format for each flight gives a clean card!

Reactions: MavicMikeK
I agree w/the smaller card, hi capacity opinions above. With over 5 yrs experience w/various (P3A, P3P, P4P, Mav2), I have never exceeded 32Gig, even shooting UHD. However, FWIW, I always format the card in the drone I'm going to use it in, as it's right there in pre-flight setup, and that drone's camera will most likely more accurately write to it's own format.

Reactions: MavicMikeK
FWIW, I have only formatted new cards and those only once since I got the M2P. Each of these formats was done with Windows 10, not the aircraft. I have never reformatted a single card and I think doing so is unnecessary. I just copy the files to my main machine then delete them. If that works as advertised, I just put the card back in the aircraft.

Reactions: ff22
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929