DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts on my Mavic Pro first flight.

cb4017

Reactions
A little background. I had a Phantom 3A. It flew great but developed the infamous motor mount cracks. DJI fixed it but I lost confidence in the drone. That and because it was a PITA to take anywhere due to it's size I sold it.

When the Mavic was introduced I wanted one badly but was able to wait. Recently I had some gift card credit on Amazon so I ordered a refurbished Mavic Pro.

It was delivered Monday. Looking it over I could not tell it from new. It was perfect. I charged the remote and battery, calibrated the IMU and gimbal, updated the firmware then waited to fly.

Wednesday I was able to take it out in the desert for a flight. For a launch pad I used a 2' square piece of plywood that I had put an X on with red duct tape. I did a compass calibration, everything was green so I did an auto take-off.

This was a get acquainted flight so I did nothing crazy. I like it! Rock solid hover. I kept it relatively low and within visual range. It flew perfect. I did a RTH to see how close it could land to the X. It landed within 6". Not bad.

So I flew around, landed and took off a few times, took a few pics and short videos, ran the battery down to about 20%. I was surprised by how quiet it was. My P3A sounded like it was beating the air into submission. The Mavic is much quieter, even with the stock props.

A storm blew in so I'll have to wait for better weather before flying again. In the mean time I've ordered the Platinum quiet props, another battery and a carrying case.

Attached is a pic. Not very interesting but shows where I was. In the distance is a geothermal well drill rig.DJI_0008 (Medium).JPG

Forgot to mention. I used my Samsung Galaxy S7. It worked perfect with no problems.

Your Mavic will soon become your new best friend... or possibly your wife or significant other's worst enemy. Enjoy!

Reactions: SprayingMango
I was surprised by how quiet it was. My P3A sounded like it was beating the air into submission. The Mavic is much quieter, even with the stock props.
Night & day difference with the noise levels. The Mavic will get noisy in the wind -- has a nice growl!

Definitely a good location for a range test .....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato