DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thoughts on the future of the RC Pro???

Firejay27

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I'm curious if anyone else has noticed the same thing I have and/or if they have any thoughts. I got my Air2s when BH Photo had the limited bundle of the Air2s and RC Pro controller. It was a limited run and sold out quickly. It's got several advantages that the RC has such as third party app loading and a few other things. With all the rumors of new drones though (Air 3) I haven't seen a single mention of the RC Pro in regards to bundles or anything but instead the rumor has the Air 3 coming with a new RC. So we have the RC-N1, the origional RC w/screen the RC Pro w/Screen and now a rumored new RC w/screen. Seems though that the RC Pro is disappearing?? There haven't been many rumors regarding the RC Pro expanding capability with other drones in the lineup either.

Thoughts?

I believe the new line of remotes are now O4 so I guess we'll have to see where that goes. Do we have backwards compatibility or not? My guess is the current RC Pro will continue to sell in respectable quantities along with the Mavic 3 kit variants and whether the RC Pro works with Air3 we don't know for sure. Perhaps RC Pro 2 is on the cusp which would mean you likely won't see an Air 3 kit with RC Pro (else many customers will claim they were screwed). Don't forget there is this thing called "price" which plays a big role in how these remotes are launched. The thinking is you don't introduce a new remote standalone, it comes with a kit and that kit may be the Mavic 4.

I believe the new line of remotes are now O4 so I guess we'll have to see where that goes. Do we have backwards compatibility or not? My guess is the current RC Pro will continue to sell in respectable quantities along with the Mavic 3 kit variants and whether the RC Pro works with Air3 we don't know for sure. Perhaps RC Pro 2 is on the cusp which would mean you likely won't see an Air 3 kit with RC Pro (else many customers will claim they were screwed). Don't forget there is this thing called "price" which plays a big role in how these remotes are launched. The thinking is you don't introduce a new remote standalone, it comes with a kit and that kit may be the Mavic 4.
Following.

It's very possible that DJI could add the Air 3 to the current RC Pro but state a cavet that the range would be the same. With the Air 3 the extra range comes from the addition of another frequency to make for 3 total. Also the new RC 2 uses the external antennas which helps. It would be really weird for DJI to release the RC Pro at a premium price only to have it compatible with current drones at the time of release. Then again... they did blow out a lot of inventory by bundling them with the Air 2S for a while at a drop dead price. Maybe it was to get rid of them as you don't see anyone talking about them anymore.

It would be really weird for DJI to release the RC Pro at a premium price only to have it compatible with current drones at the time of release.
The RC Pro wasn't just compatible with the current drones at the time of release. The RC Pro was made to be compatible with a long list of future drones after the RC Pro was first release. While I believe it will continue for awhile longer, it shouldn't come to anyone's surprise that one day that WILL end. The compatibility (roadmap) is determined by the technology and the feasibility and maybe the lifespan, not by the inventory status or the price.

The compatibility (roadmap) is determined by the technology and the feasibility and maybe the lifespan, not by the inventory status or the price.
Yes and no. If the RC Pro sales were not as expected (probably due to the high price) then DJI could in fact decide to blow out a large part of the inventory (which may have already been done) and just shelf it early. There's a cost of development and updating associated with keeping a product going and if your sales aren't as expected companies have been known to cut their losses. Happens all the time in the tech world.

Yes and no. If the RC Pro sales were not as expected (probably due to the high price) then DJI could in fact decide to blow out a large part of the inventory (which may have already been done) and just shelf it early. There's a cost of development and updating associated with keeping a product going and if your sales aren't as expected companies have been known to cut their losses. Happens all the time in the tech world.

DJI is a big company, they have lots of options available to them that other companies don't have. I hate to say it but the accessories sales numbers for the RC Pro on dji.com have little to no meaningful impact on the company and their plans. It's mostly about getting those remotes into kits. Would love to see the sales figures for the RCPro kits vs. the others.

But I agree with you, I believe one day DJI will include either the RC Pro or the RC Pro 2 in the Air 3 or Air 3S kit if they can make it work. There's a lot of Mavic 3's out there and it's still the flagship drone so I don't think DJI it quite ready to give up on the RC Pro.

It's very possible that DJI could add the Air 3 to the current RC Pro but state a cavet that the range would be the same. With the Air 3 the extra range comes from the addition of another frequency to make for 3 total.
The 5.1 frequency is only available in regions that do not allow 5.8. So, no for most of the world. All the RC Pro needs for O4 is a firmware update.

Reactions: edgardcafe
Hi guys !
I’m almost ready to buy the Mavic 3 P flight more combo but before I click on it, is it worth buying the Combo with the RC Pro ? I already have the RC (with screen ) that came with my Mini 3 Pro.

Great! I just bought a used one for $700. NOW they will lower the cost. You're welcome.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seacorope