DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thread for TomB67

That finding is pretty interesting, DJI have told me that they have researched the data sent and say that I was flying it in "high winds" which they claim is substantiated by saying the bird was tilted well before the RTH. Plan B mentioned would have been excellent, except for the fact that I lost all control over the drone well before the RTH kicked in and wasn't able to change any direction or control the height. Once the RTH kicked in, honestly I was just relieved it was coming back and didn't want to risk mucking up the return. I've watched hundreds of flights on YouTube etc before I even took it out of the box and people were flying in higher winds than I had with no trouble at all. Just so disappointed I've lost my baby. BIG thanks to everyone who has done all this work to help me.
If you look at your flight log on AirData, the weather you quoted of 17kph, is on ground level. Look at tabs 3, 4 and 5. It was experiencing average wind speed of 36kph with 45kph gust. In P-Mode, the max speed for the mavic air is 28.8kph. If you switched to Sport mode, it would've been fine against the wind. But your used 50% battery to get to your furthest distance, with tailwind. There was no way in any flight mode you would've got back, against the wind.
You panicked. We understand, some of us have been in that situation. Things move in really slow motion in that state of mind. Your recollection of the sequence of events may not be accurate. At the distance, you might not be able to see your MA react to your stick movement.
TomB67s Flight Weather.png

If you look at your flight log on AirData, the weather you quoted of 17kph, is on ground level. Look at tabs 3, 4 and 5. It was experiencing average wind speed of 36kph with 45kph gust. In P-Mode, the max speed for the mavic air is 28.8kph. If you switched to Sport mode, it would've been fine against the wind. But your used 50% battery to get to your furthest distance, with tailwind. There was no way in any flight mode you would've got back, against the wind.
You panicked. We understand, some of us have been in that situation. Things move in really slow motion in that state of mind. Your recollection of the sequence of events may not be accurate. At the distance, you might not be able to see your MA react to your stick movement.
View attachment 35665
Yes you are correct, my mistake. Oh well it is what it is. Thanks for your help.

Yup, count on at least double wind speed at elevation (20' +). Might be worthwhile to set your battery alarm to 60% until you get a better feel for the capability and limitations of this bird.

Most importantly it would be useful to make note of wind direction at elevation before proceeding long distance, though admittedly this is more difficult to determine with so much auto correcting taking place. Makes a good case for an ATTI switch: you rise to the intended elevation then switch to ATTI and monitor how the craft responds (drifts) in order to determine wind direction and strength, then switch back to P-mode and complete the flight.

I'll buy a new controller if I have to when ATTI is switch enabled.

Feel for you mate. I live on Bribie Island and the wind has been horrific for 2 months . I have only been able to fly around the back yard, over into the forest and 1 flight about 250 ft and 300mts out. Hope DJ come to the party for you.

Reactions: TomB67
I would like to thank everyone here for the help and info into what happened. Cheers to all...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sam452