DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Thread locker for prop screws.

wspike

Reactions
What is the best type of thread locker do you pilots use on your prop screws ?
I see that on the original new screws, that they use a solid chunk of thread lock so that hopefully it doesn’t bind the props.
Don’t know if I will ever need any thread lock at this time since
So far as a new pilot I seem to have a few new screws from the combo kit of my mavic mini but I can see at some point where the props may need to be removed and reattached.
Thanks for any input.

Spike854

you are supposed to use new screws when you replace any props they come with thread lock already and it is activated by the friction as the screw is being turned ,in the event you do have to reuse a screw, then you need to put the smallest amount on the screw so as it doesnt run into the motor where is could cause damage ,use a semi permanent type otherwise you will struggle to remove the screws as they are very small

Thanks for the info. What is the brand of thread locker to use. The only brand I know of is the blue locktite but that is a thin liquid that would not be what I would want to use unless I could just hardly get a dab on those tiny screws.
I plan on using new screws when ever I can.
I was just thinking of what to use if I ever came up with that situation.
Thank you.

Reactions: old man mavic
you are supposed to use new screws when you replace any props they come with thread lock already and it is activated by the friction as the screw is being turned ,in the event you do have to reuse a screw, then you need to put the smallest amount on the screw so as it doesnt run into the motor where is could cause damage ,use a semi permanent type otherwise you will struggle to remove the screws as they are very small
IMO, if one is using Locktite, the appropriate type is 242, the blue version. I use enough to moisten the tip of a toothpick, never more.

Keep in mind that some PLASTICS are literally weakened by certain types of Thread Lock compound. We had this very problem back in IIRC 2013 with Blade QX props. The thread lock on the prop screws created a very slight "weak point" and we were losing props (disintegrating) in the air.

Whatever you use make sure it's PLASTIC safe 100%.

Keep in mind that some PLASTICS are literally weakened by certain types of Thread Lock compound. We had this very problem back in IIRC 2013 with Blade QX props. The thread lock on the prop screws created a very slight "weak point" and we were losing props (disintegrating) in the air.

Whatever you use make sure it's PLASTIC safe 100%.

So Blue loctite 242 would not be a good use for it is not recommended for use around plastic.
What did you use that was safe for use after discovery of the damaged props ?

Reactions: BigAl07
So Blue loctite 242 would not be a good use for it is not recommended for use around plastic.

To be honest I can't remember. I've slept a LOT since then but we found something lol. It wasn't actually loctite.... if I come up with it I'll post back here.

If you apply the loctite and let it dry before insertion it will not affect the props/plastic, it is the out gassing/fumes that makes the plastic brittle during curing time.

Reactions: RMS001
I used blue Loctite without any problem. Make sure that you apply VERY LITTLE only to minimize the chance of getting it to come into contact with the plastic. I used a tooth pick to apply the thread lock liquid to the threads on the screw and those in the screw hole. Again, very little only, so little that you will doubt if it's enough. Believe me, I had to use quite some force to unscrew it afterwards so I am very sure it was enough. You should still be able to see the threads after the thread lock liquid is put on.

Thanks for all the knowledge.
This is a great place to learn. My wife bought me a mini for Christmas and only been able to slowly fly it in the house a few times (without breaking anything so far ) due to cold weather and lots of snow. Waiting for better weather so I can get out there.
Learning a lot from these threads.
Thanks again.

wspike

Reactions: Rchawks
Thanks for all the knowledge.
This is a great place to learn. My wife bought me a mini for Christmas and only been able to slowly fly it in the house a few times (without breaking anything so far ) due to cold weather and lots of snow. Waiting for better weather so I can get out there.
Learning a lot from these threads.
Thanks again.

wspike
I also have not seen the lawn for quite a while but you can fly from your nice warm car. Do a search for that on the top right of this screen (the magnifying glass). It’s a lot safer than flying indoors. Best wishes.

Yea hasn’t been good flying weather in NW Pa. especially for me as a new pilot. Don’t want my first flight to end frozen.
Dbez1: I’m only about 60 miles north of you at Canadotta lake.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MoBeeshy