DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

To fly or not to fly ?

Given the circumstances below, would you have taken off for a flight session ?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • Unsure

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AeroJ

Reactions
Imagine you have hiked 2 miles uphill with your M4P, on a country trail to reach a hilltop field, where several (mainly) successful flights have gone on before (albeit with much bigger, heavier drones)...

Sometimes there are military aircraft (previously limited to Chinooks, which we can hear about 5 mins before they appear !), but not usually at weekends, and this was a Sunday night. There is usually some sort of hawk activity in the general area, but their patrols and territory seem to be vastly larger than the relatively small VLOS area I try and fly in. However, that evening there were 2 huge red kites that kept circling overhead as I considered whether to fly. I also counted at least 5 sparrow hawks or similarly sized raptors, and they too were 'in my area', or rather, I was in theirs ! Sometimes these things disperse when you launch, but I am also aware that sometimes they don't ! I am also aware that the tiny M4P doesn't quite have the 'presence' that a large hex has, so may be too small to intimidate hawks. Probably not too small that they don't feel a need to get it out of their aerial territory though !

Then I heard an unusual building roar in the distance, and just 3 seconds later 2 full-on fighter jets appeared over the treeline at what I estimated to be no more than 150 ft from the canopy, only about 300 ft from my position, and sped off at what I can best describe as 'hyper-speed' off into the distance ! This gave me 'the willies' about my flight session.

And the wind had also picked up by now. In UAV forecast winds were slated to be no more than 20 mph gusting at 400 ft, but up here on the hill brow there were sporadic updrafts and a fairly strong prevailing wind, which was blowing away from the hill - ie I would be flying with it on the way out and against it on the way back. I might have felt comfortable with that on my old Typhoon H, (a powerfully wind-resistant hex jobby) but my little M4P is untested here, and if it goes down in the acres of woods around, recovery will be somewhere between hard and impossible and almost certainly in a high tree, AND it was 8 pm at night, so I had another hour or so of daylight left, and I didn't want to be doing any sort of recovery in the dark !

I stayed up there for a good 20 mins, humming and haa-ing about whether to fly or not. The birds didn't really go away, and the jets were a one-off it seemed, but wind was still high and the wrong direction, there were some slow predictable civilian helicopters at a lower altitude than I was, but it all conspired, and in the end I called it as 'unsafe', and completed the tedious 2km walk of shame home with no footage but a working drone !

By the time I got back I was knackered, hadn't eaten enough and was feeling tired and light-headed, so didn't even feel up to finding another fly site, and drove home feeling a bit cowardly, un-daring and risk-averse. Perhaps it's because I don't have DJI refresh ! ;)

Just wondered, would you M4P guys have flown in such circumstances ? The view would have been worth 'some modest risk'.

I would not have. I have not flown in "must less" conditions because there are just too many places to fly locally to not just move on. However, if I were out of town, the answer might be different. A 2-mile walk locally doesn't change my answer. But I have to ask, for what reason, why did you want to fly there? Is there something there you wish to see or photograph? I understand people have different needs and different desires but I can't think of any reason why I would want to fly in the area you described which is why I don't place too much important on "location" as much as I do "circumstances." I get nervous when I see single-engine small planes flying 150 feet up and 300 feet away so if a supersonic military jet flew by just "150 feet off the canopy" at high speeds, I wouldn't be there with/without a drone. But that's just me. Also birds and bird counting, I don't do that.

why did you want to fly there?
It is one of the rare local(ish) beauty spots that is publicly accessible, but hardly known or frequented by anyone except the very occasional hiker, and more notably isn't ruined by being owned by the National Trust or English Heritage for a start ! Nearly everything else round here (that isn't a local park with nothing interesting to see in it) is. For me that is reason enough, but this is the top of Ashford Hangers escarpments, and is truly breathtaking views all the way to South Coast. It is possibly even better than Harting Down or Butser in that regard (the only other 2 notable hilltops near me).

I don't place too much important on "location" as much as I do "circumstances." I get nervous when I see single-engine small planes flying 150 feet up and 300 feet away so if a supersonic military jet flew by just "150 feet off the canopy" at high speeds, I wouldn't be there with/without a drone. But that's just me. Also birds and bird counting, I don't do that.
Thanks. I guess I am a little different to you in that I will launch if it is ONLY a few birds in the general area (ie not focused on my TOAL area) and conditions are otherwise ideal. Glad to know I am not the only one who would have abandoned flight tho. It was the accumulation of the 3 things; the planes, the birds, + the wind that put me off in this instance.

I have never seen jets up there before, or anywhere round here ever ! All the RAF stuff is normally the slow movers. The speedsters were totally unexpected. However it took me an hour or so to get back to the car and they didn't reappear at all in that time, so it was just an unlucky one-off pass-thru by the looks of it, and that particular element of danger had truly passed in the time I would have been in the sky. But of course I didn't know that then ! I do have the number of the RAF flight advice line, which perhaps I should have called on the Friday beforehand (not even open phones on weekends).

I didn't mind the walk - it was quite nice regardless despite the gradients ! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mavic3usa
Imagine you have hiked 2 miles uphill with your M4P, on a country trail to reach a hilltop field, where several (mainly) successful flights have gone on before (albeit with much bigger, heavier drones)...

Sometimes there are military aircraft (previously limited to Chinooks, which we can hear about 5 mins before they appear !), but not usually at weekends, and this was a Sunday night. There is usually some sort of hawk activity in the general area, but their patrols and territory seem to be vastly larger than the relatively small VLOS area I try and fly in. However, that evening there were 2 huge red kites that kept circling overhead as I considered whether to fly. I also counted at least 5 sparrow hawks or similarly sized raptors, and they too were 'in my area', or rather, I was in theirs ! Sometimes these things disperse when you launch, but I am also aware that sometimes they don't ! I am also aware that the tiny M4P doesn't quite have the 'presence' that a large hex has, so may be too small to intimidate hawks. Probably not too small that they don't feel a need to get it out of their aerial territory though !

Then I heard an unusual building roar in the distance, and just 3 seconds later 2 full-on fighter jets appeared over the treeline at what I estimated to be no more than 150 ft from the canopy, only about 300 ft from my position, and sped off at what I can best describe as 'hyper-speed' off into the distance ! This gave me 'the willies' about my flight session.

And the wind had also picked up by now. In UAV forecast winds were slated to be no more than 20 mph gusting at 400 ft, but up here on the hill brow there were sporadic updrafts and a fairly strong prevailing wind, which was blowing away from the hill - ie I would be flying with it on the way out and against it on the way back. I might have felt comfortable with that on my old Typhoon H, (a powerfully wind-resistant hex jobby) but my little M4P is untested here, and if it goes down in the acres of woods around, recovery will be somewhere between hard and impossible and almost certainly in a high tree, AND it was 8 pm at night, so I had another hour or so of daylight left, and I didn't want to be doing any sort of recovery in the dark !

I stayed up there for a good 20 mins, humming and haa-ing about whether to fly or not. The birds didn't really go away, and the jets were a one-off it seemed, but wind was still high and the wrong direction, there were some slow predictable civilian helicopters at a lower altitude than I was, but it all conspired, and in the end I called it as 'unsafe', and completed the tedious 2km walk of shame home with no footage but a working drone !

By the time I got back I was knackered, hadn't eaten enough and was feeling tired and light-headed, so didn't even feel up to finding another fly site, and drove home feeling a bit cowardly, un-daring and risk-averse. Perhaps it's because I don't have DJI refresh ! ;)

Just wondered, would you M4P guys have flown in such circumstances ? The view would have been worth 'some modest risk'.
You made the right call! Two thumbs up.

Reactions: AeroJ
In addition, I have all but abandoned the mini drones as serious when it comes to reliability and dependability. I have lost many days where I wasn't able to fly the mini due to wind. Not so much for my current M3P but for sure with my previous MM and M2. Perhaps the drone can handle the wind but maybe it's me, the flyer, who don't care to take the risk and battle the almost constant windy conditions where I live. The wind alone would have caused me to turn back in your situation. Never strong when I leave home, picks up while enroute, wherever I land it's gale force. :(

Reactions: AeroJ
In addition, I have all but abandoned the mini drones as serious when it comes to reliability and dependability. I have lost many days where I wasn't able to fly the mini due to wind. Not so much for my current M3P but for sure with my previous MM and M2. Perhaps the drone can handle the wind but maybe it's me, the flyer, who don't care to take the risk and battle the almost constant windy conditions where I live. The wind alone would have caused me to turn back in your situation. Never strong when I leave home, picks up while enroute, wherever I land it's gale force. :(
Yes, a top wind resistance speed of 36 mph isn't ideal for the UK, but like so many others I was attracted back into the hobby by the increased amount of places I could theoretically fly it. I hadn't really thought much about how many of my old sites would be compromised by high wind.

Right now, it's 20 mph constantly and gusts up to 27 in my practice field just down the road. That is too high for me, even though it is within the limits of what my thing can do - I like to float majestically about in Cine mode most of the time, which can't really fight much above 10 mph. It's not often I try and go up big hills, but there are days when there is almost nothing, and only gentle gusts and it seems worthwhile venturing up high, even with a tiny one. Yesterday was notably NOT one of those days :)

Last edited:
Reactions: mavic3usa

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirtimo