DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Today was my first drone flight, ever!

Bobbogee

Reactions
Well, after 3 years of being a lookie-loo, I purchased and received my first drone - an AIR 2s. My purchase was originally going to be the Mavic Air 2 but just as I was going to pull the trigger in early April I spotted the wind-up of the rumor mill regarding the A2s and decided to wait. So last week on release date I ordered my A2s FMC and various accessories and received it two days ago.

So this evening after work, I finally got the nerve to try my first flight (using cinema slo-mo mode) and managed to not crash it!

Now I just need to get over the high anxiety I experienced when I took it straight up to a height of 100ft / 30m and looked up at it from my seated position on my patio. I kinda felt like James Stewart in Vertigo (not really) How exciting!

Maybe next flight I will need a Valium or something ?

Well, after 3 years of being a lookie-loo, I purchased and received my first drone - an AIR 2s. My purchase was originally going to be the Mavic Air 2 but just as I was going to pull the trigger in early April I spotted the wind-up of the rumor mill regarding the A2s and decided to wait. So last week on release date I ordered my A2s FMC and various accessories and received it two days ago.

So this evening after work, I finally got the nerve to try my first flight (using cinema slo-mo mode) and managed to not crash it!

Now I just need to get over the high anxiety I experienced when I took it straight up to a height of 100ft / 30m and looked up at it from my seated position on my patio. I kinda felt like James Stewart in Vertigo (not really) How exciting!

Awesome.... such a different experience/viewpoint, and the fact that YOU are in control and can move, point, look where you like is a whole different world.

I guess I've become rather accustom to the aerial view so it's "normal" to me now. I really try to find that "different perspective" if I'm going to make a video worth sharing. I do have ton and tons of video, but just not the energy/time to edit and share now-a-days... but I go back and look at flights now and then. All good, fun stuff.

Be safe, fly smart!

CJS

Congratulations on your purchase and first flight. I have the MA2 and remember feeling the same as you on my first flight. I still get anxious these days as I fly over water ? usually every flight at some stage. I reckon having a little anxiety is a good thing though. Shows you care about your passion for controlling that amazing thing out there somewhere in the distance. Within VLOS of course! ???

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!
There’s many knowledgeable members willing to help with any questions you have.
Search the forum using key words and if you don’t find an answer, post your question and I’m sure you’ll get a quick response! Flytpath on YouTube has a good video series from unboxing to your first flight and after. Fly safe and stay safe!

1619106615420.jpeg
Congratulations!
You also picked a wonderful place to share thoughts and ideas. This forum is great for also answering questions you may have.
A forum perusal will yield much!
Still not finding answers to inquiries, post in the appropriate subsection!

Again, welcome aboard

R
Jeffrey

Nice going! I get anxiety also when flying... The more we fly the less anxiety we will have...
Remember when you fly you need to act like you ARE the drone and not just somebody on the ground holding the controller.........Because if you ARE the drone you won't be prone to accidents.

Starting slowly is good :) There are a number of posts in the forum where people have dived straight in and crashed it on day 1.

My advice would be to get used to flying before worrying too much about the photography aspect. Once you can safely handle flying then move onto filming. There is a checklist somewhere here on preparing for flight - common sense advice. The biggies are making sure the drone props are undamaged and making sure you have GPS lock before taking off.

Pick somewhere wide and open to practice, where you have a good view of the drone. No trees, buildings or people. I tend to practice over a local lake or the sea, but I appreciate that might not be where you want to go right now, as it's rather counter-intuitive. But there are no trees, buildings and it's flat, so it works for me.

I still get anxiety every time I fly.
im lucky... across the street from me is a football field sort of down in a “bowl”
Great practice. No obstacles

when I first started, I got a small indoor drone( blade I think)
Bought about 4-5 extra batteries.
every day I’d take at least 15-20 minutes to fly in my living room Sometimes 2-3 times a day
Figure 8’s .... circles
I found the small ones were like mosquitos.... real fast reactions to stick movements
Lots of crashes, but no big deal .... change a prop and you’re good to go again
You get a lot better after a week or two

then when I moved outside to my DJI spark and mavic....they were almost like slow motion compared to the tiny indoor flight
Much easier

then when I moved outside to my DJI spark and mavic....they were almost like slow motion compared to the tiny indoor flight
Much easier
Speaking of slow motion, I have only used the Cine (slow) mode so far, and that speed seems pretty quick to me. One day I will be daring and move the switch on the controller to the middle position. :D

Maybe next flight I will need a Valium or something [emoji23]

Hello and welcome. You don’t mention where you are from. If you are from Canada you must register your drone and obtain your RPAS Basic Drone Pilot license to fly legally. I will not speak to other countries as I’m only aware of Canadian laws.

Reactions: Bobbogee
Hello and welcome. You don’t mention where you are from. If you are from Canada you must register your drone and obtain your RPAS Basic Drone Pilot license to fly legally. I will not speak to other countries as I’m only aware of Canadian laws.
I am from sunny SoCal, I took care of the registration prior to my first flight. Now I have my fancy FAA Small UAS Cert of Registration that, at the least, impressed my wife! ;)

Thanks for the welcome, everyone!

Hello and welcome. I am sure you will become more and more fond as learn about and experience the world of droning.

Welcome to the asylum! I'm a 'newb' myself, only a few flights under my belt and still learning. I have gotten a few good, usable video shots, and now trying to learn the 'other half' of this hobby...editing! That's a bigger pain in the kiester than learning to fly!
Have fun, fly safe, and keep coming back. there's an unbelievable treasure trove of information on this forum!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji