DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Transiting Roads

Chaosrider

Reactions
What are the restrictions, if any, on transiting highways? Not following a highway, just crossing it?

Thx,

TCS

Occasionally I'll pass over a road and just like on the ground, look both ways for clear traffic, then cross the road.

That would be my natural inclination, but I seem to recall there's some restriction on that.

Thx,

TCS

Reactions: twickers14
So, if I look both ways and only cross when the highway traffic is clear, I'm OK. That makes sense.

I'd never fly where I thought I might distract drivers. That would be Bad.

Thanks!

:)

TCS

My suggestion would be, climb (so as to be out of drivers' line of sight), wait for a gap in the traffic and then cross the road high and fast so that even if something does go wrong there is the hope that momentum would cause it to fall well clear of the road way.

Reactions: Papa Beach
My suggestion would be, climb (so as to be out of drivers' line of sight), wait for a gap in the traffic and then cross the road high and fast so that even if something does go wrong there is the hope that momentum would cause it to fall well clear of the road way.
That's pretty much the plan.

The north side of Hwy 50...Where No Drone Has Gone Before!

Not one of mine, anyway...

Thx!

TCS

That’s exactly what I do. Take it to 400’ AGL (if in class G), wait for a break in traffic, kick it into sport mode, and zoom. I also usually record my transit (including the check for traffic) so that I can prove that I didn‘t fly over moving vehicles if something goes south during transit.

Last edited:
This is exactly what I do and will continue to do. I am high enough for drivers not to be able to see the drone and rarely cross over traffic. WhenI do, I cross like I do on the ground- look both ways and be sure I can safely make it across before the next cars.

Category 1 drones can transition over people in moving vehicles. The rules are about flying over people in moving vehicles, not traffic.

The actual opening sentence in § 107.145 Operations over moving vehicles is, "No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft over a human being located inside a moving vehicle unless the following conditions are met:"

It 107.145 then goes on to explain those conditions. While the title of the section mentioned moving vehicles, the wording itself doesn't. It's all about the people inside.

Reactions: MA2 317
Flying over a empty road is up to you but beware of using one as a launching point. A un-commanded RTH could be ugly

Flying over a empty road is up to you but beware of using one as a launching point. A un-commanded RTH could be ugly
Showing traffic from a distance, or flying somewhat parallel but away from a road or a pretty bridge, helps me tell my story without endangering drivers. Rarely do I fly over a road. If you have watched any of my videos, you'll see me screeching to a halt before a bridge or a road.

I think we've all driven near busy and non-busy airports and seen all types of aircraft landing and departing. I know as a pilot I've crossed roads that run directly across the arrival and departure paths of airports many thousand times. I really don't think drones are that big of a distraction to drivers. In my local area, so many times, I've observed the B1 and B2 bombers on approach and departure, a spectacular sight, along with being extremely noisy and wished I could stop and get a better look, but as usual the very sparse traffic just keeps rolling along.

Showing traffic from a distance, or flying somewhat parallel but away from a road or a pretty bridge, helps me tell my story without endangering drivers. Rarely do I fly over a road. If you have watched any of my videos, you'll see me screeching to a halt before a bridge or a road.
I find it absolutely insane to fly near an airport. There is really no great reason to endanger people. I find that flying parallel or at an angle from a road, but not crossing over a road is a wonderful way to help tell my story. It sets the scene and gives perspective. As long and I am no danger of falling onto the road or distracting driver's eyes, I feel comfortable in continuing to include roads in my story telling. I once did a video of my Iceland grip and included several road shots, both with a hand held gimbal for my car and from a drone. These shots contributed immensely to the story. I will not include that video in this thread lest I hijack it. If you want to see it, start a private conversation.

Dale

I think we've all driven near busy and non-busy airports and seen all types of aircraft landing and departing. I know as a pilot I've crossed roads that run directly across the arrival and departure paths of airports many thousand times. I really don't think drones are that big of a distraction to drivers. In my local area, so many times, I've observed the B1 and B2 bombers on approach and departure, a spectacular sight, along with being extremely noisy and wished I could stop and get a better look, but as usual the very sparse traffic just keeps rolling along.
The issue is that folks are used to seeing planes near airport. But when a drone is spotted flying over a road, that does create distractions, because it's not something that is seen every day. But even near airport planes cause issues. We had a taxiway at old Stapleton Airport that crossed I-70. It caused more than one accident in its time. See attached photo.

A drone over a road where drivers aren't expecting it is definitely a distraction.

Attachments

• Stapleton.jpg
    Stapleton.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 4
I find it absolutely insane to fly near an airport.
Lots of reasons to do that. For instance I'm flying here tomorrow... 😉

Attachments

• DIA.jpg
    DIA.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 8
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member