DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Transporting Mavic on Motorcycle

Good advice. Before we leave I’m going to ask how often they stop. If it isn’t much I’ll leabe the MP at home. My dad and brother and others do this ride yearly, but I never went due to not having a motorcycle. Now I can finally join the guys. We are meeting my brother and his son there who now live in CO.

When I was younger we lived in rapid city for a few years. Beautiful area. I’ve only been back once as an adult.

I've lead group rides quite frequently with anywhere between 2-20 riders. Communication is key. We have a few CB radios in the group. I have one as the lead and we have one in the back as sweep. The remaining ones are sprinkled through the group in case we need to relay. But I know everything that is going on behind me and the sweep knows everything that's going on ahead of him.

For the riders without comms, I explain that if they want to stop, then just stop. No need to try and flag me down because I already know about it. When one stops, we all stop. I remind them that this is their trip as much as it is mine. It is ok to be a little selfish. Remember that when you get to a spot that you want to fly. It may mean you agree on the next stop and meet them there as a compromise.

Reactions: stuckinbis
Love the whole Black Hills area. Lots of great riding and beautiful scenery. For the previous two years we've gone out the week prior to the big rally. Stayed in Deadwood both times. If you want to ride, avoiding the rally is the thing to do. Just too darn many people on the roads during that week.

From what I have read it is OK to fly in the Black Hills and Custer State park (with restrictions involving wildlife). I saw a "No Drone Zone" sign at the Crazy Horse entrance and Deadwood recently enacted some restrictions as well.

I didn't get my Mavic until later last year so I missed out on all the flying out there.

Im just leaving with my dad, then meeting up with my uncle before heading down to SD. I live in ND and my dad came today from MN. He said that by four in the afternoon they are usually done, so I’ll maybe get some footage then. If I don’t bring it I may regret it.

Last Feb I took my mavic pro to Colombia. I used the fly more case which I put inside a hardcase as carry-on luggage but never used it on the bike. We rode for 2 weeks, about 2,200 miles with over half of that off road. I was on a Tenere 650 and my drive was fine. We road in mountains, deserts, jungles and cities and I just had it in a single bag on the back seat luggage strapped down and it was fine. That said, my friend brought his and it was broken on the second day because he didn't put the gimbal protector on properly so he carried around dead weight the whole trip, and had to watch me fly around a good amount of the country.
I also took it across country last summer for 2.5 weeks in the fly more bag in a soft side bag with a decent amount of off-road, fully loaded with no issues. That drone is way tougher than you think it is.

I just got a Mavic Pro and avidly ride off-road on a BMW G650GS. I have killed all sorts of electronics from vibration on that bike, as it is a single cylinder 650 cc thumper.

I would really love to carry my Mavic Pro to all the amazing places i explore in this bike, but am really concerned about the fragile gimbal and associated electronics. I have a padded hard case for my drone. Is this really enough using the supplied gimbal stabilizer from DJI?

Love my drone, love my bike, don’t want to see my bike kill my drone! Anyone out there have similar experience?

I have a 2008 street glide and I carry my MP in a PolarPro case and have not had any issues whatsoever. I have extended bags, and will usually carry a few different pieces of camera equipment with me. I will wrap everything with an extra towel just for precaution, but I highly doubt it’s necessary.

Last August together with my friend we went for 9 days trip to Gaspe Peninsula in Quebec. I have only one bike with side bags, 2009 Moto Guzzi California Vintage and I knew they will be not enough to store all what I was planning to pack. I bought top case and decided to place all camera /drone stuff there. Since the top case has no lining, I bought backpack designed for MP. In the backpack I was able to put MP, all 3 batteries, CS 7.85" with 2 batteries, mounting bracket. MP was placed in the backpack with gimbal protection on, never bother taking propellers off. In addition in the top-case I was able to put case with my GoPro camera, extra batteries, case with the handhold gimbal and case with my Surface Pro. The setup was far from being perfect, I had a lot of problems to find proper cable, charges, etc. but no damage to any equipment, all arrived back home in top shape.
This is a link to the footage we took from the trip, my ridding buddy did some post-editing and produced video hopefully you like :)

I just got a Mavic Pro and avidly ride off-road on a BMW G650GS. I have killed all sorts of electronics from vibration on that bike, as it is a single cylinder 650 cc thumper.

I would really love to carry my Mavic Pro to all the amazing places i explore in this bike, but am really concerned about the fragile gimbal and associated electronics. I have a padded hard case for my drone. Is this really enough using the supplied gimbal stabilizer from DJI?

Love my drone, love my bike, don’t want to see my bike kill my drone! Anyone out there have similar experience?

The factory gimbal clamp has been sufficient for me but I haven't tried any off-road riding. My HD Ultra Classic isn't well suited for that!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78