DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Transporting via ATV/UTV

kitzy

Reactions
I tried searching but I didn't find anything that addressed my question/concern. I was looking at cases for my MPP for when I'm out riding either my ATV or my SxS. My GoPros all go in a soft canvas like bag that zippers closed but I don't worry much because, well, they're GoPros and are designed to take a beating. The MPP on the other hand, I worry about it getting constantly knocked around or even submerged in water. I have a rack bag mounted to the ATV and SxS but I know what the contents of that look like when I'm not even being aggressive. When we ride, we usually ride pretty hard. The main goal isn't to get to a certain destination carefully to fly the drone but rather to fly the drone when and if I get to a good location. Riding is priority over flying. I have a yearly trip to Tennessee coming up at the end of February and we always ride at least once.

So it has to be waterproof and it has to allow the contents to survive constant jarring and knocking around. Think placing it in a washing machine and then the dryer (minus the heat).

There are lots of options for hard cases that are water proof and would protect the MPP.
Something similar to this:

MPP Case

I would be inclined to get a Pelican, SKB or GBC case. Google is your friend. :)

There are lots of options for hard cases that are water proof and would protect the MPP.
Something similar to this:

MPP Case

I would be inclined to get a Pelican, SKB or GBC case. Google is your friend. :)
I have googled. I've also searched the forum. I just haven't seen any mention of anyone using it for the same reason. I'm not talking about rain or the occasional drops. I'm talking about the kind of abuse a paint can goes through when it's placed in a shaker. Pictures make it hard to tell how dense or hard a foam is. Or how much play may be in between the drone and the foam allowing it to move around and possibly bang in to what could be harder foam.

I was leaning towards a pelican case but it's always worth getting real life, experienced opinions from others.

Reactions: crlmjohnson
I ride a RZR and take my MP with me on occasion. If I ride alone, I put the case (soft case) on the passenger seat and strap it down. If I have a passenger, I strap it to the roll bar between the seats in the cab or have the passenger put it by their feet. The front or back of the utv takes too much pounding so I suggest finding the middle compartment to strap in.
My cabin trails up north are full of woopties and my drone has been safe thus far. Just be sure that your gimbal guard is on tight [emoji106]

Reactions: sea157
I tried searching but I didn't find anything that addressed my question/concern. I was looking at cases for my MPP for when I'm out riding either my ATV or my SxS. My GoPros all go in a soft canvas like bag that zippers closed but I don't worry much because, well, they're GoPros and are designed to take a beating. The MPP on the other hand, I worry about it getting constantly knocked around or even submerged in water. I have a rack bag mounted to the ATV and SxS but I know what the contents of that look like when I'm not even being aggressive. When we ride, we usually ride pretty hard. The main goal isn't to get to a certain destination carefully to fly the drone but rather to fly the drone when and if I get to a good location. Riding is priority over flying. I have a yearly trip to Tennessee coming up at the end of February and we always ride at least once.

So it has to be waterproof and it has to allow the contents to survive constant jarring and knocking around. Think placing it in a washing machine and then the dryer (minus the heat).

Although I don't currently have an ATV - I will be moving in a couple of months and it is hight on my list. Also - I will be doing a four day white water rafting trip in September so for those two reasons I have gone with this....

DJI Mavic Pro Case | GPC, Inc

Although in my case it is for my M2Pro. I had the backpack for my P4 and also have the backpack for my M2Pro all from the same company.

GPC - UAV Cases, Drone Cases, GoPro Cases

The backpacks they use are 5.11 brand - a brand I know and trust and also know that will take the demands of a tactical environment. The hard case is equally built with the precise cutting of the interior. I would have no problem strapping my case for my M2Pro to the rack of ATV or even travel with the backpack for days that would be a little less "washboardy." I have used other backpacks - not any other hard cases - but gave one away (Lowepro DP 250 was one - did not like the moving compartments and non custom cut for the drone) and could not recommend the GPC line any more. Another thought is that if you go with a convention "pick and pluck" pelican box that you DIY it would never have the support that the GPC cases provide with the precise cutting of the interior - not sure what it is but it isn't foam, it's much more dense.

Having both cases might be overkill but the hard case serves a purpose as does the backpack - for rafting, ATV and similar the hardcase is a go - for hiking, overlanding in the tuck when I want to carry my whole kit (which I can in the backpack) it's the backpack.

I ride a RZR and take my MP with me on occasion. If I ride alone, I put the case (soft case) on the passenger seat and strap it down. If I have a passenger, I strap it to the roll bar between the seats in the cab or have the passenger put it by their feet. The front or back of the utv takes too much pounding so I suggest finding the middle compartment to strap in.
My cabin trails up north are full of woopties and my drone has been safe thus far. Just be sure that your gimbal guard is on tight [emoji106]
I wouldn't mind the passenger seat but I need to plan as if that space isn't available.

My SxS is a Can Am Maverick. It has a full plastic arm rest/console up the middle between the seats. Inside the cab really doesn't offer me any options. There is a back cargo bag in the bed. It's never taken any water but dirt and dust do get in. There's also tools and straps and what not in there that will be smashing around. So a hard case is a must. Waterproof is a must, too, just in case. So it also has to fit in the cargo bag as well. I was thinking it will probably just rest in there too but I can try to secure it somehow.

Although I don't currently have an ATV - I will be moving in a couple of months and it is hight on my list. Also - I will be doing a four day white water rafting trip in September so for those two reasons I have gone with this....

DJI Mavic Pro Case | GPC, Inc

Although in my case it is for my M2Pro. I had the backpack for my P4 and also have the backpack for my M2Pro all from the same company.

GPC - UAV Cases, Drone Cases, GoPro Cases

The backpacks they use are 5.11 brand - a brand I know and trust and also know that will take the demands of a tactical environment. The hard case is equally built with the precise cutting of the interior. I would have no problem strapping my case for my M2Pro to the rack of ATV or even travel with the backpack for days that would be a little less "washboardy." I have used other backpacks - not any other hard cases - but gave one away (Lowepro DP 250 was one - did not like the moving compartments and non custom cut for the drone) and could not recommend the GPC line any more. Another thought is that if you go with a convention "pick and pluck" pelican box that you DIY it would never have the support that the GPC cases provide with the precise cutting of the interior - not sure what it is but it isn't foam, it's much more dense.

Having both cases might be overkill but the hard case serves a purpose as does the backpack - for rafting, ATV and similar the hardcase is a go - for hiking, overlanding in the tuck when I want to carry my whole kit (which I can in the backpack) it's the backpack.
Those look like nice cases for sure. You say the cut is precise. How precise? In my mind, I envision needing the drone to be slightly hugged in place by a somewhat softer foam. I think back to the school days and doing the egg project where you had to design a case for an egg to be dropped from a certain distance without breaking the egg. Denser foam worries me because if there is any play, it could still impact the side a little too aggressively. That happening over and over again could be an issue.

I will have to check those out. Might be what I'm looking for. Are they in boxes or are they open to look at and kind of inspect to see if they will work for me?

They are open so you can see them.
And they have the pick and pluck foam in them.
VERY GOOD cases for the price!
4 different sizes, just get the size you need.

Those look like nice cases for sure. You say the cut is precise. How precise? In my mind, I envision needing the drone to be slightly hugged in place by a somewhat softer foam. I think back to the school days and doing the egg project where you had to design a case for an egg to be dropped from a certain distance without breaking the egg. Denser foam worries me because if there is any play, it could still impact the side a little too aggressively. That happening over and over again could be an issue.

I can take a picture but their website has good representations on it. When I say precise - I mean there is literally NO wiggle room for the drone/controller/batteries. Although shock can always damage anything - I am convinced, and feel safe, that the electronics are well cradled in the environment of either the hardcase or backpack although for your use (with dust & moisture) the hardcase is the way to go and the one I would use for ATV/rough use.

Years ago, I rode many times at Wind Rock and I understand the abuse you will be traveling on. The Apache Cases are nice, but as noted pull apart to fit foam pieces. I fear a more precise cut would be more protection. A suspension
system for the case while in the bed of the sxs would not transfer energy directly to the drone. If it's bolted/secured to the framework I fear the drone's internals would jarred loose.

What if a bungee cord harness for a hard sided case between the roll bar was made?

Years ago, I rode many times at Wind Rock and I understand the abuse you will be traveling on. The Apache Cases are nice, but as noted pull apart to fit foam pieces. I fear a more precise cut would be more protection. A suspension
system for the case while in the bed of the sxs would not transfer energy directly to the drone. If it's bolted/secured to the framework I fear the drone's internals would jarred loose.

What if a bungee cord harness for a hard sided case between the roll bar was made?

We rode Wind Rock for the first time last year. It's always been Royal Blue the other times. We will be going back to Wind Rock this year. Everything you said is what is going through my mind. A bungee cord harness would probably work great but I don't know how convenient it would be. I imagine it taking up a lot of room. I have some bed space but otherwise I only have the passenger area and if I have a passenger then I lose that space too. And aid rather have a solution that is always going to work as opposed to just when things are ideal.

I'm thinking maybe a slightly softer foam cut a little small and tight for the drone. Something that I would have to spread apart or compress a bit just to get the drone in. This way it's touching the drone but still gives a little providing a suspension like affect to take the jolt out of the bumps. Still thinking. Just brainstorming.

Just brainstorming with you here. What if the hard case was put in a slightly larger tote surrounded by bubble wrap or foam packing peanuts?

Edit:
Or better yet softer foam pieces, cut up sponges?

Just brainstorming with you here. What if the hard case was put in a slightly larger tote surrounded by bubble wrap or foam packing peanuts?

Edit:
Or better yet softer foam pieces, cut up sponges?
So we have these plate compactors at work that weigh about 800 lbs. They have Optima red top batteries but the harsh vibrations actually kill the battery. We kill so many of them that they won't warranty them anymore. The older plates we have place the battery in its own box surrounded by foam. Kind of the same idea you are having.

Ideally I want to place the case inside of the bag. I'll have to measure the bag to see what will fit but with enough room I could buy extra padding of some sort to place around the case inside of the bag.

This is the bag I have in the bed. It's actually from my ATV but since I ride my SxS more now I have swapped it over.

5a14c6c389277163f55482e47cbc4dfb.jpg
7fdd06ce414a5dce88db4dca9da0362d.jpg

Reactions: NetDep
That scenery looks beautiful kitzy !

I’ve found that a soft bag (backpack) absorbs the vibrations and bumps better than a hard one. The looser you can strap it down , the better. Cargo nets work well if you have a spot to use it [emoji106].

That scenery looks beautiful kitzy !

I’ve found that a soft bag (backpack) absorbs the vibrations and bumps better than a hard one. The looser you can strap it down , the better. Cargo nets work well if you have a spot to use it [emoji106].

It really is. It's too bad I live so far away (live in PA and that was at Wind Rock in Tennessee) and only get to ride there one week out of the year and it's always winter. I'm sure Michigan has its share of beautiful places to ride.

I think I am going to check out those Apache cases tomorrow. I'll be near Harbour Freight so it's worth looking.

Mine is a Hopezone hardcase from amazon with the mavic cutouts. It rides on my Arctic Cat Trail strapped on top of my flat pack gas can. No damage and im not easy on it.$70.00 cad.
bf0d0a0711f9d309f3b512466e020c6c.jpg
02ffb45a1ecb6554400cf2ad9f657976.jpg

Mine is a Hopezone hardcase from amazon with the mavic cutouts. It rides on my Arctic Cat Trail strapped on top of my flat pack gas can. No damage and im not easy on it.$70.00 cad.
bf0d0a0711f9d309f3b512466e020c6c.jpg
02ffb45a1ecb6554400cf2ad9f657976.jpg
That's about what everything looks like after about a half hour. Haha. Glad to hear it hasn't given you an issue.

I looked at the Apache cases from harbour freight. I really want to fit it inside my bag but after measuring the inside of my bag I think it will be tough. The Apache 2800 will fit but I don't know that I will get the entire flymore kit in it with the extra three polar pro filter kits I have. I may have to look over my SxS to see if there's anywhere else I can comfortably put it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998