DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Traveling Internationally

nmiller117

Reactions
Hey guys,

I am heading to the Dominican Republic at the end of this week and I planning on taking my Mavic Pro 2 with me. From your experience, is it easier to put the drone in your checked luggage or take it as a carry on? Do I need any specific paperwork with me?

I want to deal with the least amount of hassle.

Bless

I am heading to the Dominican Republic at the end of this week and I planning on taking my Mavic Pro 2 with me. From your experience, is it easier to put the drone in your checked luggage or take it as a carry on? Do I need any specific paperwork with me?
Pack the drone wherever works for you but the batteries must be in your carry-on luggage - not in checked luggage.
The security people at the airport won't even blink when they see it on their ex-ray scanner.
They see drones every day of the week.

Pack the drone wherever works for you but the batteries must be in your carry-on luggage - not in checked luggage.
The security people at the airport won't even blink when they see it on their ex-ray scanner.
They see drones every day of the week.
Have you heard of carrying the batteries in a Lipo Battery Bag due to airline concerns? I have been reading some forums and they are suggesting that.

Have you heard of carrying the batteries in a Lipo Battery Bag due to airline concerns? I have been reading some forums and they are suggesting that.
I've heard of forum people suggesting it but no airline asks for it.
The same goes for discharging batteries before traveling - that's just another forum myth that no airline or airport security check-in officer has ever heard of.

I've heard of forum people suggesting it but no airline asks for it.
The same goes for discharging batteries before traveling - that's just another forum myth that no airline or airport security check-in officer has ever heard of.
There is one single report (here in this forum) about a TSA guy confiscating a battery because it was fully charged. However, I cant remember if it was fr his own experience or a 3rd hand report. No TSA rule says that the batteries should not be full or partially discharged. He blamed it on a TSA guy who had a drone or something, I cant remember exactly.

I have been travelling internationally with a MP for over a year now, always in the soft DJI bag and that inside a backpack, and never had an issue, not even a discussion w an officer.