DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Trying to get better at ground level videography.

Pixies channel

Reactions
Hi guys, I'm trying to get better with filming on the ground with my phone and my DJI Osmo Pocket, here's a video I made the other day, Nothing special but as they say practice makes perfect,

Nice work- I'm just getting into the vid/photo elements of flying- there's certainly a lot for me to learn. One thing I noticed as a newb in this; you might want to level your horizon, ie., rotate your camera. Not sure what unit you're flying so unable to help there.

Good luck and keep posting vids- lots of the crew here have a lot of great experience.

Reactions: Pixies channel
Hi guys, I'm trying to get better with filming on the ground with my phone and my DJI Osmo Pocket, here's a video I made the other day, Nothing special but as they say practice makes perfect,

I also recently bought an Osmo Pocket and have been trying to get some decent ground based clips to go along with my M2P shots. I would recommend slowing your panning down and trying to keep the up/down motion as still as possible while you're walking while filming. I find that I frequently have to recenter the gimbal as it tends to easily get "off center" (just double click the on/off button to recenter it). What resolution and frame rate was your video shot at? While I typically shoot at 24 fps at 4k I may start experimenting with shooting a faster frame rate to "smooth out" the video. And the final point has to do with the settings you use for rendering your video because YouTube with further compress your video when you upload it. Anyway there are my two cents worth!

Nice work- I'm just getting into the vid/photo elements of flying- there's certainly a lot for me to learn. One thing I noticed as a newb in this; you might want to level your horizon, ie., rotate your camera. Not sure what unit you're flying so unable to help there.

Good luck and keep posting vids- lots of the crew here have a lot of great experience.
This was shot with the Osmo Pocket and a Samsung S7, I have to remember to recentre the camera sometimes it goes off a bit.

I also recently bought an Osmo Pocket and have been trying to get some decent ground based clips to go along with my M2P shots. I would recommend slowing your panning down and trying to keep the up/down motion as still as possible while you're walking while filming. I find that I frequently have to recenter the gimbal as it tends to easily get "off center" (just double click the on/off button to recenter it). What resolution and frame rate was your video shot at? While I typically shoot at 24 fps at 4k I may start experimenting with shooting a faster frame rate to "smooth out" the video. And the final point has to do with the settings you use for rendering your video because YouTube with further compress your video when you upload it. Anyway there are my two cents worth!
Thanks for the advice buddy, I think this was shot at 4k 30fps not sur though, I'll try to slow down my panning across that does make seance really or it just looks like a huge fizz around.

Back in camcorder days they called it hosepiping, try to pre-plan sequences keeping panning slow and deliberate, it's tempting to try to show everything at a nice viewpoint, but a pan is more effective set between a number of well composed static scenes like photographs but with some subtle movement in frame (could be just grass in the breeze).
Having said that some short videos can work just fine with a more 'music video' deliberately handheld style, including the odd bit at 45 degrees.

The key is to keep trying and see what works for you, watching other videos with a critical eye - what does/doesn't look good is very helpful.

Back in camcorder days they called it hosepiping, try to pre-plan sequences keeping panning slow and deliberate, it's tempting to try to show everything at a nice viewpoint, but a pan is more effective set between a number of well composed static scenes like photographs but with some subtle movement in frame (could be just grass in the breeze).
Having said that some short videos can work just fine with a more 'music video' deliberately handheld style, including the odd bit at 45 degrees.

The key is to keep trying and see what works for you, watching other videos with a critical eye - what does/doesn't look good is very helpful.
Thanks mate, That is very sound advice, I have been watching tons of videos since I posted this and getting loads of advice from good folk like you. I will try my best and keep shooting, Who knows it may work out for me it may not but hey it's all good fun.

One of my videography classes used this- It’s old, but has some good info:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54