DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Turning off Wifi on Controller

bkushner

Reactions
Is it something new that the RC Controller Turns off Wifi when launching drone? I know it used to do that with the Mini 3 Pro but it didn't do it on the Mavic 3 line...Today it did when I was checking out the new firmware?

I believe the DJI RC also did it with the Mavic 3. However, the RC Pro does not. Not enough overhead in the DJI RC to support both Wifi and OS3+ simultaneously, so, to prioritize the OS3+ transmission signal, Wifi gets turned off. DJI certainly doesn't advertise that limitation! However, it means your maps cannot update while flying! The added ability to save "postage size" maps is worthless, unless all your flights fit into the size a baseball diamond!

Reactions: bkushner
@bkushner the original DJI RC does turn off WIFI, as soon as the drone takes off, and can then be turned back on again, with a double swipe down to access the menu, it will then stay on until the drone has finished that flight ,but will again turn off at the beginning of the next flight
the new DJI RC2 does not turn off the WIFI it stays on permanently ,unless you go into the menu and manually turn it off
of course whether or not you get a WIFI signal with it turned on ,will depend on your location

@bkushner the original DJI RC does turn off WIFI, as soon as the drone takes off, and can then be turned back on again, with a double swipe down to access the menu, it will then stay on until the drone has finished that flight ,but will again turn off at the beginning of the next flight
the new DJI RC2 does not turn off the WIFI it stays on permanently ,unless you go into the menu and manually turn it off
of course whether or not you get a WIFI signal with it turned on ,will depend on your location
If you want to hotspot to your cell phone for map or firmware updates or flight permissions, wouldn't you need WIFI on?

@WanderLost of course WIFI would need to turned on in the controller ,but its not always possible to get Cell service, in lots of remote places ,where i fly in Wales there are lots of dead spots, due to the topography of the area

If you want to hotspot to your cell phone for map or firmware updates or flight permissions, wouldn't you need WIFI on?
From what I have noticed, getting a map thru the cell phone 'hot spot' is a 'one-time-download' and does not need to rely on the phone anymore for map info.... it's all saved. Then I get the message that Wi-Fi will be turned off. Controller retains the map info.

Excellent information!

From what I have noticed, getting a map thru the cell phone 'hot spot' is a 'one-time-download' and does not need to rely on the phone anymore for map info.... it's all saved. Then I get the message that Wi-Fi will be turned off. Controller retains the map info.
That all depends on how large of a map you need for your flight. If you are flying completely VLOS, it's fine, but if your flight is more than a mile away, it needs to be continuously updated, as you fly, to have all map resolutions available.

Reactions: WanderLost
Indeed. Hence the problem during flight, if the wifi hotspot to your cell phone is turned off automatically, and you don't turn it back on for maps, as described above!

Reactions: WanderLost
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne