DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Turning upside down may not switch off motors...

fernadosilva

Reactions
A few days ago I was flying my Air 2S in a area with a rough surface and I tried to do what I always do in these cases: when landing, I stop it at about 1.5m of the ground, I catch it with my hand and pull down the left stick to make a "forced landing" in my hand and switch off the motors.

The first "anomaly" I noticed was that the aircraft seemed unstable, beeped and seemed always to run from me. I finally was able to catch it, but the motors started spinning at full speed (sometimes this happens, but just for a short while) and even after I pulled down the left joystick the motors kept spinning at full speed. At this stage, I decided to switch off by turning it upside down... And, surprisingly, nothing happened, and the motors kept spinning at full speed. After a few more unsuccessful attempts (I was worried for the possibility of motor overload), I decided to make an emergency stop of the motors on the controller while still having it on my hand... And it worked. It was a relief, since I noticed later that this went for about two full minutes and the motors were dangerously hot.

Upon analysis of the flight log, I partially understood what happened. I had for the first time actioned the "bypass mode" of obstacles (instead of "break"). When I first tried to catch it, it detected my body or hand, entered "detour mode", ignored the joysticks and entered in a full autonomous mode. This explains why the "forced landing" did not work.

While this part of the behaviour can be understood, I was surprised that turning the drone upside down would not be enough to switch off the motors. I can not see any reason for the "detour mode" do not respect this emergency switch off strategy. What is the point?

I just would like to know if this happened to someone before or if anyone has any possible justification for this.

If hand catching you MUST hold your hand still in order for holding-the-throttle-closed to stop the motors.
Try tilting the drone so that the props are rotating in a vertical plain rather than inverting the drone. Yes I have had inversion fail to stop the motors and seen youtube of upside down crashed mavic type drones still trying to drive their motors.
If the drone is near you switch OA off, it's a curse in such situations.

Reactions: GFields
If hand catching you MUST hold your hand still in order for holding-the-throttle-closed to stop the motors.
Try tilting the drone so that the props are rotating in a vertical plain rather than inverting the drone. Yes I have had inversion fail to stop the motors and seen youtube of upside down crashed mavic type drones still trying to drive their motors.
If the drone is near you switch OA off, it's a curse in such situations.
Thank you. I possibly was not clear. While turning it upside down (or 90 degrees, as you point out) is not my preferred you of switching off the motors, I did it several times before without any problem. This particular time I discovered that if the drone it is in “detour mode” this strategy does not work at all.

It seems to me that these drones will act differently at different times. I have not hand landed mine but my buddy has shown me how with mine. I always have go around selected on obstacle avoidance and we could see its affects when hand caught. It did not stop the motors from stopping when he turned it upside down.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS