DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Two M3's, one remote questions

kanesimages

Reactions
I already own a M3 with the RC-N1 remote. I use a Tripltek. I want to pick up a 2nd M3 Classic "Drone Only" option. Any of you do this own two M3's and use just one remote for both? Any downside to using one remote with both drones? In the Fly app, upon start up, do I just assume it will give me the option of which drone to select for flight? Overall certainly not too worried here, but just want to make sure Im aware of any potential issues before I invest in the 2nd drone without a 2nd remote. Appreciate any feedback.

Used with an RC-N1, the fly app WILL NOT "give me the option of which drone to select for flight?". The RC-N1 can be linked to ONLY one drone. If you wish to swap it between drones then, at each and every swap, you will have to go through the linking process from the 'new' drone.
PLUS if you have fly away insurance then the controller MUST be bound to the drone otherwise the insurance is invalid..........so, in that case you would have multiple layers of linking and binding to work through.

Personally I'd get a drone and controller.

Reactions: redserv
Used with an RC-N1, the fly app WILL NOT "give me the option of which drone to select for flight?". The RC-N1 can be linked to ONLY one drone. If you wish to swap it between drones then, at each and every swap, you will have to go through the linking process from the 'new' drone.
PLUS if you have fly away insurance then the controller MUST be bound to the drone otherwise the insurance is invalid..........so, in that case you would have multiple layers of linking and binding to work through.

This is exactly why I asked, appreciate this. funny how DJI advertises the Drone Only option as "You can use an existing, already-owned RC-N1 remote to operate." They're not lying but what a pain in the butt, all that linking.

I suppose having that 2nd remote will assist in resell as well.

The linking, for control purposes, is quite quick, a few seconds if you know the button sequence on the controller. Infact I have sequentially flown 3 or 4 drones using the same controller.... because I couldn't carry all the controllers and was making simple test flights and didn't want to be having to swap the phone between controllers.
BUT it was necessary to make you aware that one linking displaces any other already in existance.

It is the binding process, for the insurance, if applicable, that could screw things up.
The phone needs a connection to the internet to 'place on record' the unbinding of controller and drone and any new binding between the controller and the 'new' drone.

Very interesting, thanks

Interesting reply. I haven't tested the RCN1 on my Mini 3 but I suppose I can. It is supposed to be able to be paired with multiple drones.

But as far as getting another controller, the DJI RC (cheap smart controller w/built-in screen) costs $310 USD. And while it lacks features of their $1200 smart controller, RC Pro, it's pretty nice in its own right as it is reasonably affordable. That's why I bought it with the Mini 3 for only $150 more than the RCN1 which I already owned with my Mini 2. I guess it's $300 more compared to the Mini 3 pro without a controller.

What caused me to buy the Mini 3 Pro while I had a Mini 2 and Mavic 2 pro was the price including the DJI RC controller. What I came to appreciate with that controller is how quickly I can deploy my drone. Turn on the controller. Turn on the drone and wait for sats to populate and then take off. No fumbling with phone or tablet or wires.

Last edited:
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Interesting reply. I haven't tested the RCN1 on my Mini 3 but I suppose I can. It is supposed to be able to be paired with multiple drones.

But as far as getting another controller, the DJI RC (cheap smart controller w/built-in screen) costs $310 USD. And while it lacks features of their $1200 smart controller, RC Pro, it's pretty nice in its own right as it is reasonably affordable. That's why I bought it with the Mini 3 for only $150 more than the RCN1 which I already owned with my Mini 2. I guess it's $300 more compared to the Mini 3 pro without a controller.

What caused me to buy the Mini 3 Pro while I had a Mini 2 and Mavic 2 pro was the price including the DJI RC controller. What I came to appreciate with that controller is how quickly I can deploy my drone. Turn on the controller. Turn on the drone and wait for sats to populate and then take off. No fumbling with phone or tablet or wires.
Have you worked out your binding concerns yet?

Have you worked out your binding concerns yet?
Yes. I have learned that pairing and binding are separate issues. You can pair without binding. When I got my replacement Mini 2 it was automatically bound to my account. I would not bind the RCN1 to the Mini 3 Pro, but fly away is not so much a concern as it is separately insured by State Farm Insurance in case of loss or theft. The SF insurance covers the whole kit for theft, unlike DJI that only insures the drone and not the controller or anything technically considered theft.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
I already own a M3 with the RC-N1 remote. I use a Tripltek. I want to pick up a 2nd M3 Classic "Drone Only" option. Any of you do this own two M3's and use just one remote for both? Any downside to using one remote with both drones? In the Fly app, upon start up, do I just assume it will give me the option of which drone to select for flight? Overall certainly not too worried here, but just want to make sure Im aware of any potential issues before I invest in the 2nd drone without a 2nd remote. Appreciate any feedback.
I know this isn't your question, but other than a difference in MSRP prices, there is no benefit to buying the M3 Classic over the M3. The M3 can now be bought as a DJI Refurb for $1569 on eBay directly from DJI, including the RC-N1 remote. Don't give up the 7x telephoto trying to save money. You won't! The Refurb has the exact same 12 month warranty as a new aircraft, and is also eligible for DJI Care. They are only from DJI returns accepted within 7 days, which must be uncrashed, and they are individually retested for full functionality before certification. All warranty returns on new aircraft are replaced with Refurbs anyway. Might as well start with one!

Reactions: kanesimages
I know this isn't your question, but other than a difference in MSRP prices, there is no benefit to buying the M3 Classic over the M3. The M3 can now be bought as a DJI Refurb for $1569 on eBay directly from DJI, including the RC-N1 remote. Don't give up the 7x telephoto trying to save money. You won't! The Refurb has the exact same 12 month warranty as a new aircraft, and is also eligible for DJI Care. They are only from DJI returns accepted within 7 days, which must be uncrashed, and they are individually retested for full functionality before certification. All warranty returns on new aircraft are replaced with Refurbs anyway. Might as well start with one!
While essentially you are right about buying a refurb M3, there are a few exceptions which I think I laid out in an earlier reply thread. I bought a refurbished Mavic 2 Pro and even down to the packaging there was no indication that it wasn't brand spankin' new.

In my case the difference between a refurb M3 and the Classic is $257 as I would not have to pay sales tax on the M3C (via B&H Payboo card). That $257 can buy another battery, or can help finance the Care/Refresh with is considerably more expensive for the M3, which really only gives you that 7x lens. If you think about the combined cost of acquiring and insuring that 7x alone it becomes considerable. If the 7x is important to someone, then yes, it is a relative no brainer. But in doing the calculations, for 2 year Care/Refresh of the M3 over the M3C you have to add an additional $140 premium. Plus if there is an incident needing repair you pay another $30 one over the other. So again, in my case there is a $400 difference to get a refurb M3 over the M3C assuming that I never crash and just have the insurance. If you do get an unfortunate fly-away the DIFFERENCE in replacement cost is $200 more for the M3... just because it has that 7x lens mounted on it.

But OTOH, it is important to note that if someone doesn't have the punitive sales tax that we have here (10%-10.25%), or even 0% sales tax, it does bring the M3 more into a somewhat more reasonable price diffence IF the 7x is important to someone. It would be good to be able to try a M3 7x lens. I could well change my mind. But at this time I can't visualze the importance in my head for it. JMO

@kanesimages if you get the Mavic 3 classic with the new DJI RC ,then you can fly both your drones with the one controller ,

Reactions: vindibona1
While essentially you are right about buying a refurb M3, there are a few exceptions which I think I laid out in an earlier reply thread. I bought a refurbished Mavic 2 Pro and even down to the packaging there was no indication that it wasn't brand spankin' new.

In my case the difference between a refurb M3 and the Classic is $257 as I would not have to pay sales tax on the M3C (via B&H Payboo card). That $257 can buy another battery, or can help finance the Care/Refresh with is considerably more expensive for the M3, which really only gives you that 7x lens. If you think about the combined cost of acquiring and insuring that 7x alone it becomes considerable. If the 7x is important to someone, then yes, it is a relative no brainer. But in doing the calculations, for 2 year Care/Refresh of the M3 over the M3C you have to add an additional $140 premium. Plus if there is an incident needing repair you pay another $30 one over the other. So again, in my case there is a $400 difference to get a refurb M3 over the M3C assuming that I never crash and just have the insurance. If you do get an unfortunate fly-away the DIFFERENCE in replacement cost is $200 more for the M3... just because it has that 7x lens mounted on it.

But OTOH, it is important to note that if someone doesn't have the punitive sales tax that we have here (10%-10.25%), or even 0% sales tax, it does bring the M3 more into a somewhat more reasonable price diffence IF the 7x is important to someone. It would be good to be able to try a M3 7x lens. I could well change my mind. But at this time I can't visualze the importance in my head for it. JMO
My advice was for the OP, and since the OP already owns an M3, he knows exactly what he would be missing for the small difference in price, that he likely was unaware of before now. The M3 Classic is not available as a Refurb, while the M3 is. They are all essentially Refurbs. New aircraft also have defects and warranty issues. At least the Refurb has been individually tested for being problem free, and he can save $500 over a new M3 unit which is less than the exactly same configured M3 Classic, to help offset any DJI Care differences, and he hasn't given up the 7x telephoto, the locking gimbal when off, and the superior solid bra strap that all come with the M3, but not the M3 Classic.

My advice was for the OP, and since the OP already owns an M3, he knows exactly what he would be missing for the small difference in price, that he likely was unaware of before now. The M3 Classic is not available as a Refurb, while the M3 is. They are all essentially Refurbs. New aircraft also have defects and warranty issues. At least the Refurb has been individually tested for being problem free, and he can save $500 over a new M3 unit which is less than the exactly same configured M3 Classic, to help offset any DJI Care differences, and he hasn't given up the 7x telephoto, the locking gimbal when off, and the superior solid bra strap that all come with the M3, but not the M3 Classic.
No disagreement. The OP I'm sure is fully aware. But here's a question. If he already owns a M3, why the need to spend more for another full M3 when the M3c can potentially save hundreds and get him 96.633% of the same drone? He already has a 7x. Why spend the extra just for that feature?

Good to know, I didn't realize refurbs were routinely available. Ill keep that in mind.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
No disagreement. The OP I'm sure is fully aware. But here's a question. If he already owns a M3, why the need to spend more for another full M3 when the M3c can potentially save hundreds and get him 96.633% of the same drone? He already has a 7x. Why spend the extra just for that feature?
First of all, it's not more, it's less! Secondly, as every M3 owner with the 7x telephoto is fully aware, the 7x telephoto is one of the most valuable features of the M3, which only someone who has actually used it can appreciate. A second M3 then becomes a complete backup for his existing M3, instead of only a partial backup. I just bought one myself, for exactly that purpose, so I have put my money where my mouth is!

The locking gimbal on the M3 and the much more robust bra strap are two more distinguishing safety features for transport that the M3 Classic lacks, so it isn't just the 7x telephoto. You need to examine all the physical differences!

To pretend that the M3 Classic is 96.633% of the M3 implies that the 7x telephoto is less than 4% of the reason to buy the M3. You've got it backwards. The only reason to buy the M3 Classic is one is trying to save money, not because the 7x telephoto has little or no value! When that $500 savings disappears by buying an M3 Refurb instead of an M3 Classic, for an existing M3 owner, it's a no brainer to buy the M3 Refurb instead. I don't expect you to agree or understand, since you've never had a chance to use the 7x telephoto on the M3. However, let the OP respond. I'll put money on his reply!

Good to know, I didn't realize refurbs were routinely available. Ill keep that in mind.
Thank you! That's what I thought! Surely, you would rather have the complete M3 than the stripped down M3 Classic, for roughly the same price, so you don't have to give up the 7x telephoto, the locking gimbal, and the better gimbal bra strap that are only found on the M3! If you are happy with the RC-N1 controller, swapping your phone or tablet between the two controllers is a simple solution, so you don't have to deal with the pairing and binding issues.

Now $1549! That's $50 cheaper than the $1599 M3 Classic, with the identical RC-N1!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1