DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UAV Forecast suggestion

Also, (see below) I wouldn’t fly my MA2 on a day like this... would you?
That would depend on what wind was actually blowing.
UAV forecast is just another forecast, it's not telling you what's actually happening where and when you want to fly.
The actual wind at your flying site could be significantly different for a number of reasons.

I am setting up a recreational drone program for youth and Scouts for our organization and have set 3000 ft ceiling, 40 percent precipitation, 3 miles visibility, and 15 mph winds including gusts. We may adjust these parameters with more experience. Our flight area is within 3 miles of a Class E airport, so we will use their AWOS broadcasts on current weather.

Reactions: rp6 and MassCoyote
I use the free version of UAV Forecast and was wondering what parameters you have set? Also, (see below) I wouldn’t fly my MA2 on a day like this... would you?

View attachment 125580
I've flown my MA2 in 35mph winds and it seemed to do fine. Got the only wind warning I ever got with it but kept it down and really close near open fields. It was a real quick warning then went away. In the video I shot that day, you can see the trees swinging back and forth quite a bit but it was pretty solid.

I use the free version of UAV Forecast and was wondering what parameters you have set? Also, (see below) I wouldn’t fly my MA2 on a day like this... would you?

View attachment 125580

Winds (gusts) are a debatable item. The Air2 flies pretty darn good even up into the 20+ mph winds.

Sat's is the key indicator. There is nothing wrong with trying to fly and see if the drone can catch enough sats to not go into ATTI mode.

The 5 heliports would be interesting. Since many choppers fly low, esp on take-off and land - I'd be real wary of flying in that local.

I like UAV Forecast, but it's just another tool in the toolbox. You can go into settings and change some of parameters like how high a wind / wind gust you're willing to fly in and at what elevation(s). Setting the winds to say 200-300 feet would be a bit more accurate than what is default.

Reactions: maggior
I use UAV Forecast regularly. It’s a great tool. I actually have mine set to show winds at 150 feet. It’s realistic to the way I fly for the most part. Another great app is WindCompass. I actually flew my M2P the other day at Montauk Point. I hit wind gusts of around 35mph and was getting constant high wind warnings. It scared the hell out of me, especially when I had it out over the ocean. But watching it sit there and hold steady even in those gusts was very impressive. I got great pictures and the videos were very smooth. I wasn’t about to go all the way out there and be stopped by a little wind! ??

Reactions: Droniac
What type of drones?
We are allowing any battery operated drone up to 2 lbs. The Mavics can easily handle higher winds but others may not. AOPA recommended 10 mph winds as the limit.

View attachment 125580
I might fly with that wind depending on other conditions...BUT, I would NOT FLY with only 7.9 Sats Locked.

Last edited:
I might fly with that wind depensing on other conditions...BUT, I would NOT FLY with only 7.9 Sats Locked.
The satellite section of UAV forecast should be completely ignored (and the Kp Index too).
No matter where or when you fly, as long as you are outdoors and the drone has a clear view of most of the sky, you will always have many more sats than you need.

I generally use this app as a rough estimate for my local conditions. I set my wind gusts at 20 mph at 200 feet. I have found that the GPS satellites available always reads lower on the app. Even when it says I don’t have enough satellites, when I fly I find I have many more.

Reactions: MassCoyote
I am using UAV Forecast to inform when I can fly a Mavic Pro2. After a few weeks of Not Good to Fly because of wind and rain, both of which are now OK I am being restricted by a temperature indication of 10C. Is this just precautionary because the battery may drain a bit faster or does anyone know of other reasons for not flying when this temperature is showing?

I am using UAV Forecast to inform when I can fly a Mavic Pro2. After a few weeks of Not Good to Fly because of wind and rain, both of which are now OK I am being restricted by a temperature indication of 10C. Is this just precautionary because the battery may drain a bit faster or does anyone know of other reasons for not flying when this temperature is showing?

Absolutely nothing to worry about. The battery will heat as current is drawn and can easily cope with temperatures like this. When it drops well below zero then the batteries aren’t as efficient and you can expect shorter flight times. Even colder and the battery voltage can drop to a level the aircraft will try and land.

Professional drones and the Mavic Enterprise models have the option of self heating batteries so they can operate more safely in very cold weather.

Be aware the UAV Forecast app calculates wind speeds at varying altitudes. They could be higher or lower than stated.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas