DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

UK and EU Fly rules for recreation fly, time to sell or buy a drone?

Alchemist101

Reactions
Dear playful flight colleagues (not for commercial purposes).
I understand that the flight rules, even for those who fly for recreational purposes are constantly changing, every time more restrictive, not by chance from next year 2019, drones also for recreational use must be registered, and also we will need to pass a test to fly. In Europe, the new rules have just been issued, and they introduce the flying license (which costs no less than 1000 pounds) and insurance (about 30 pounds per month).
In this confusion and especially in this continuous rules changes I preferred to sell my drone.
too many restrictions and too much confusion in the rules, pushed me to sell my drone instead to buy a new drone model.
how are you behaving? And what do you think about all these new rules and continuous rules changes?
Are you also thinking to sell your drone?

This post is aimed at those who use drones for recreational purposes

Thank you.

Yes the rules are getting ever more restrictive, but for me that means 'do more flying now, while you still can'. So I'm not selling up just yet.
I haven't heard about the European £1000 thing, which sounds horrendous if it is true, but if you are in the UK things are not so terrible yet. That test coming in next year is likely to be a simple online multiple choice type thing checking you know the basic flight rules. The registration cost probably won't be huge.

Last edited:
Do you have a link to this 1000 pound drone rule? I cont find anything online

Having purchased my drone only a couple of weeks ago and reaching out on forums such as this one and YouTube I am in a pondering world of WTF right now.
I'm a bit of a maverick too so there's no chance I'm throwing in the towel.
The new drone registration that comes into place next year is another government big brother policy on this fecked up piece of land we live on...as for the cost you mention,I don't believe it'll be as high as what you've stated but for sure there will be a cost of some sort...typical England.
But I have stumbled on something that may be of interest to us all.
India has recently launched a new drone policy...similar to ours at the moment BUT part of that policy is one has to download an App and that said app does have control over ones drone.
For example.
If one tries to fly in a restricted air space then the drone WILL NOT take off.
One will not have control over ones drone.
George Orwell stuff isn't it.
Once being part of the empire there is no doubt in my mind that there'll be some PC T**T who may put this particular motion forward to implement it here.
If that happens then my drone will be heading straight to No 10 with a right uppercut attached to it for this government basically wants total control of this nation with laws upon laws upon laws [emoji34][emoji34][emoji34][emoji34][emoji34][emoji34][emoji34][emoji34][emoji34][emoji34][emoji34][emoji34]

Here's the link to indias drone law.

Drone Laws in India | UAV Coach (2018)

In Europe, the new rules have just been issued, and they introduce the flying license (which costs no less than 1000 pounds) and insurance (about 30 pounds per month).

Got a source for that bit of information mate?

There are no common EU laws on drones. The new CAA regs from next year do require a test to be passed and registration but no license for example.

In Cyprus you already have to register, Spain has yet more different rules and regs etc.

Think you’ve got the wrong end of the stick somewhere - as per others above a link would be useful.

The problem is that stupid people are buying drones and misusing them (such as in Dubai where the airport needs to be shut down) because of misuse, and all the responsible people who would not do that are equally punished. I think the regulations are important, and the fees that accompany are to discourage people from buying one, leaving only those who have them to use them wisely and/or professionally. It's sad that it has come to this, but it is for the best.

Get your license or permit, fly responsibly and you can be part of the privileged group

Reactions: Carl36
apparently we in the uk will not be in the eu much longer so i prefer to wait for the drone bill currently being formulated for this country to become law next august and then decide if my UAV flying days are numbered

Just heard the news this morning on closure of Gatwick airport due to overlying runways any laws introduced will not stop these idiots from ruining our hobby!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54