DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unable to take photo/film during flight?

Wenjie64

Reactions
Hi everyone,

Sometimes during the flight, after taking some photos/filming for a little bit, the drone will not allow me to continue to take photos. This has happened around 3 times now.

Instead, the buttons on the remote that swap between film/photo mode do not work. The touch screen buttons that do that operation are also greyed out and disabled.

The problem is fixed when I bring the drone in for a landing and take off again, thus allowing me to film/photo again. I have also checked that space is available on the microSD chip.

Be aware that the signal of the camera is completely fine and that I can use the visual aid of the smart phone to fly the drone. It is just the ability to take a photo or video is frozen, unless I bring it in for a landing.

Anyone experienced this?

Have a close look at the top of the screen to see what space you have left on the SD card.
I also had an issue whereby the recording stopped, I was looking at the AC, not the RC, anyway after some advice, I did indeed look at the RC screen, and sure enough, an error appeared, very quickly, "Slow Write" so I changed SD card to a U3 and all good since.

Hi everyone,

Sometimes during the flight, after taking some photos/filming for a little bit, the drone will not allow me to continue to take photos. This has happened around 3 times now.

Instead, the buttons on the remote that swap between film/photo mode do not work. The touch screen buttons that do that operation are also greyed out and disabled.

The problem is fixed when I bring the drone in for a landing and take off again, thus allowing me to film/photo again. I have also checked that space is available on the microSD chip.

Be aware that the signal of the camera is completely fine and that I can use the visual aid of the smart phone to fly the drone. It is just the ability to take a photo or video is frozen, unless I bring it in for a landing.

Anyone experienced this?

I had this happen yesterday. On my first battery it said that no SD card was inserted so I came back and landed and took the chip out and back in, and used a 2nd battery for 2nd flight. Then the camera worked while on the ground ready for take off but then stopped working while in the air. Also, I could not switch into video mode nor did the video button work, it was grayed out like not available. I would like to mention that I was flying offline with no map or HP set (not working, I always have this problem when flying offline), while this should have nothing to do with it, my drone flies perfect when I have data connection but for some reason I run into all kinds of problems when I fly offline. This could be co-incidence but its very strange I fly 90% of the time with data and have no problems, and every single time I fly offline I run into a non related problem like the gimbal going up and down on its own for a few seconds, disconnections from the Go4 app, strange movements of the drone in the air without any stick input, Home Point not showing up on the screen, offline maps not loading, etc.

Yesterday, I transported the drone on an offroad vehicle so it was bumpy ride, not sure if this messed up something in the gimbal or camera. More importantly, I was using a 128GB SD card, which I did not format in the drone, so I believe that this may be the root of the problem I had yesterday. I won't know until I take the bird out for another flight, but I have used that 128GB card before, without any issues, and without formatting it in the drone.

I would make sure you have a quality SD card, 64GB maximum, maybe change it out for a new one, and format it in the drone using the app. If problems continue after that, then you can eliminate the SD card being the problem and look for the problem somewhere else.

I have never even heard of the first card you posted, I would assume it is a knockoff brand and maybe not the best quality but I am really not sure.

The second card you got is the "gold standard" and the exact one I use as well - I am not surprised to hear it has not been causing you any issues. Stick to name-brand card with the "V30" or "U3" rating and you should be OK.

Also, ALWAYS format it in the drone. This goes for any device - whether it be a camera, smartphone, or anything else - always always always format the card in the device it will be used in, not in anything else.

Reactions: conchman
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kzenoxx