DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Uncalibrated gimbal and switching to new phone

wco81

Reactions
I hadn't flown in months and I just got a new iPhone 12 Pro Max. New iPhone is a bit thicker than the old one and a little longer. With the case on it, it barely fit between the claws. I was also worried I would have to get a new cable with a thinner Lightning connector because the cutout in my new case isn't that big but I managed to wedge it in there.

For some reason, DJI Go app was missing even though I transferred all the data from my older iPhone. So I had to redownload again over mobile data.

Then it wanted to update the locations database and had a firmware update again.

The only thing I could hope for is that all my settings, such as using RAW or JPG, saving individual shots from time lapses and panos, were still read in somehow. Maybe DJI stores on the servers somehow?

The settings all seemed to be there but I didn't check all of them.

One concern I had was the ability to control the gimbal by dragging on the screen. My old iPhone had Force Touch and this new one doesn't.

So I flew it and from the beginning, the video feed was very shaky all over the place. It really didn't seem to respond to any input, like the dials by the shoulder buttons. I tried dragging on the screen and saw arrow on the screen indicating the input was recognized by the app. But again no effect on the gimbal.

So I landed it and then did the auto calibration on the gimbal, the first time I'd ever had to do it. Took a couple of minutes but afterwards, it seemed to have done the trick, quick flight afterwards, it all worked as expected.

How often does the gimbal have to be calibrated? Seems like you can't tell until you actually take off and try to move the gimbal, though actually if you get the shaky video feed I was getting, it is immediately obvious.

I've had a P3 Std for 3 years, a Mavic Air for 2 years, a Mavic 2 Zoom for 1.5 years and a Mavic Air 2 for 5 months and I've never had to calibrate a gimbal. And I've used 6 different tablets/phones with them. Now, none of them have been a iPhone 12.

I wouldn't think the phone or tablet would affect the gimbal, unless the app made the gimbal go haywire?

I had the cover over it so it's not like I physically didn't take care of the aircraft. I thought maybe something physically was off with the gimbal but the fact that the calibration fixed it makes it seem like it was software-related.

I wouldn't think the phone or tablet would affect the gimbal, unless the app made the gimbal go haywire?

I had the cover over it so it's not like I physically didn't take care of the aircraft. I thought maybe something physically was off with the gimbal but the fact that the calibration fixed it makes it seem like it was software-related.
I wouldn't think so either and have heard of a device change affecting the gimbal so it was probably something else but glad to hear that a calibration corrected the problem.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada