Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Underexposed pictures on my Mavic 2 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

AroundTheWorld

Reactions
Hello,

Im in holidays in Greece flying with my Mavic 2 Pro and it's been 3 weeks that I'm traveling pretty much everywhere, shooting pictures and videos. I was confident with the results since I thought I did a pretty good job but how horrified I was when I discovered that most of my pictures were severely underexposed! I'm still trying to figure out how did this happen but it looks like things went wrong after the last firmware update. I noticed, unfortunately too late that my settings changed and that the EV moved from 0 to a value located between - 0.3 and - 2.0 whereas it was always set to 0 before. I'm wondering if I accidentally decreased it but I'm never using the right wheel of the controller so its unlikely that i did it.

Some questions now:

1) Is it possible that the EV has been automatically modified regarding to the different scenes I was shooting?

2) It looks like the underexposure problem only affects pictures since my videos look bright whereas all my pictures are dark. Is that normal? Is it something related to pictures only? Or should I assume that my videos are also affected by this issue (perhaps in a less important way) and that the rendering would have been obviously different with an EV set to 0?

3) I was intentionally shooting pictures at different times of the day to have the best lighting conditions and I wanted them to be as close to the reality. That's why I would like to know if it is possible to move the EV from the previous value to exactly 0 in post production? Or should I use the rulers of my editing software and try to make my pictures look as close to the reality as possible ?

4) Does a change of EV affect other settings like Iso? Aperture? Contrast?

5) Is it normal that modifications of the exposure are saved in the app for further purpose? Should they not be reset to 0 since we are always shooting in different conditions?

Thanks for your help

Hello,

Im in holidays in Greece flying with my Mavic 2 Pro and it's been 3 weeks that I'm traveling pretty much everywhere, shooting pictures and videos. I was confident with the results since I thought I did a pretty good job but how horrified I was when I discovered that most of my pictures were severely underexposed! I'm still trying to figure out how did this happen but it looks like things went wrong after the last firmware update. I noticed, unfortunately too late that my settings changed and that the EV moved from 0 to a value located between - 0.3 and - 2.0 whereas it was always set to 0 before. I'm wondering if I accidentally decreased it but I'm never using the right wheel of the controller so its unlikely that i did it.

Some questions now:

1) Is it possible that the EV has been automatically modified regarding to the different scenes I was shooting?

2) It looks like the underexposure problem only affects pictures since my videos look bright whereas all my pictures are dark. Is that normal? Is it something related to pictures only? Or should I assume that my videos are also affected by this issue (perhaps in a less important way) and that the rendering would have been obviously different with an EV set to 0?

3) I was intentionally shooting pictures at different times of the day to have the best lighting conditions and I wanted them to be as close to the reality. That's why I would like to know if it is possible to move the EV from the previous value to exactly 0 in post production? Or should I use the rulers of my editing software and try to make my pictures look as close to the reality as possible ?

4) Does a change of EV affect other settings like Iso? Aperture? Contrast?

5) Is it normal that modifications of the exposure are saved in the app for further purpose? Should they not be reset to 0 since we are always shooting in different conditions?

Thanks for your help

1) No, If you manually change the EV setting to e.g -2.0 the exposure of every scene would be adjusted to give the underexposure. Auto mode will adjust the shutter and aperture to give you a -2.0 exposure.

2) In DJI Go4 EV adjustments can be made in both photos and videos, I believe they are independent of each other.

3) You can really do anything you want in post production, you can just increase the total exposure value of the photo to remove the -2.0 exposure compensation for example, but you can also change the specific exposure values of highlights and shadows to improve certain parts of an image and also use graduated filter to tone down part of the image (e.g. darken a sky that is too bright but keeping the land correctly exposed). There are multitude of techniques to modify the exposure of a photo. If you are planning to do this it's always better to shoot in "raw" mode which is straight out of the camera while jpg has already been processed by the app/ drone.

4) Yes , changing the EV (exposure compensation value) is asking the exposure program to change the combination of shutter speed, ISO and aperture to achieve the exposure value set. Depending on the mode selected e.g Auto, aperture r priority (A), shutter priority (S) it will change one or the other or all the values.

5) The settings in the app when changed manually stay where they are last set. The wheel that changes the exposure compensation on the RC can be locked to prevent changes by pressing it in like a button.

Last edited:
If you shot in RAW, you have a better chance of editing in post.

1) No, If you manually change the EV setting to e.g -2.0 the exposure of every scene would be adjusted to give the underexposure. Auto mode will adjust the shutter and aperture to give you a -2.0 exposure.

2) In DJI Go4 EV adjustments can be made in both photos and videos, I believe they are independent of each other.

3) You can really do anything you want in post production, you can just increase the total exposure value of the photo to remove the -2.0 exposure compensation for example, but you can also change the specific exposure values of highlights and shadows to improve certain parts of an image and also use graduated filter to tone down part of the image (e.g. darken a sky that is too bright but keeping the land correctly exposed). There are multitude of techniques to modify the exposure of a photo. If you are planning to do this it's always better to shoot in "raw" mode which is straight out of the camera while jpg has already been processed by the app/ drone.

4) Yes , changing the EV (exposure compensation value) is asking the exposure program to change the combination of shutter speed, ISO and aperture to achieve the exposure value set. Depending on the mode selected e.g Auto, aperture r priority (A), shutter priority (S) it will change one or the other or all the values.

5) The settings in the app when changed manually stay where they are last set. The wheel that changes the exposure compensation on the RC can be locked to prevent changes by pressing it in like a button.

Thanks for your time and all the precious informations you gave me. Actually I'm a noob in post production haha and even if i could, I dont want to come back to all the places where I have been this summer in order to take new pictures with normal exposition settings. So as it should have been from the beginning, could you tell me how to remove the - 2.0 exposure compensation and set it to 0 in Photoshop / Premiere Pro or any other software please?

Last edited:
Sorry guys but we have a duplicate thread here.
This was the second and there’s no need in 2.
Post in the first one started.

@AroundTheWorld please only start one thread on the same subject.

CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird