DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Unexpected Turn

...And so the myriad hypotheses and disagreements creep in. šŸ™‚
Yeah understandable ...

But as this forum section in particular, is a great source for learning ... from unfortunately others mistakes or HW/SW failures, it's good to keep out speculative causes that either are against common knowledge or can't be proven out from the logs. In general it's good with brain storming ... but all will be challenged šŸ˜

Many more will read this thread in the future & change their flight behaviors out from what we find to avoid the same happening to them ... it's usually best to keep it to what we know. Unfortunately when it comes to the Mavic 3 with encrypted DAT logs ... we have far less facts to go on than usual & that tend to encourage speculation.

Yeah understandable ...

But as this forum section in particular, is a great source for learning ... from unfortunately others mistakes or HW/SW failures, it's good to keep out speculative causes that either are against common knowledge or can't be proven out from the logs. In general it's good with brain storming ... but all will be challenged šŸ˜

Many more will read this thread in the future & change their flight behaviors out from what we find to avoid the same happening to them ... it's usually best to keep it to what we know. Unfortunately when it comes to the Mavic 3 with encrypted DAT logs ... we have far less facts to go on than usual & that tend to encourage speculation.
Agreed and well-said. šŸ‘šŸ¼

Reactions: RobertR
How is stating a test for an effect somehow wrong? Jeesh. Grow up.
I've tried to give you the benefit of my experience and explained why you were wrong with what you said.
There's no point testing for VRS in relation to this incident.
What's so hard about listening to someone that actually knows what they are talking about?

Reactions: DougMcC
Jeff, I spent two years with the 101st ABN as a Thoracic Surgeon. My best Army friend is a high time Night Stalker (SOAR 160th) aviator. I have 1200 hrs of fixed wing time and spent a fair amount of time with instructor pilots in UH-1 and the occasional Cobras. VRS was an often discussed topic amongst the real helicopter aviators. It seemed to apply here and I have entered briefly at altitude) that state with my MP2. Itā€™s a very real issue. The bin Laden raid was a combination of rapid descent, high density altitude, entering a semi-enclosed space (walls) and rapid heating of the surround air due to exhaust thus loss of lift. Physics rules!
Weā€™re you an Army aviator by chance?
Hi Doug. Thanks for your reply and the additional intel on the Bin Laden event. Iā€™m a Navy vet (ship driver) but a former private pilot with about 800 hours (sailplane, single and multi engine). Take care.

Hi Doug. Thanks for your reply and the additional intel on the Bin Laden event. Iā€™m a Navy vet (ship driver) but a former private pilot with about 800 hours (sailplane, single and multi engine). Take care.
Thanks. My input about VRS was as stated about helicopter dynamics. The four rotor, counter rotation dynamics are going to be different as pointed out by those familiar with the Phantom changes. That said, I have occasionally noticed a fluttering motion of my MP 2 in a straight down fast descent. This motion seems to stop by adding a forward vector to the descent. The MP 2 was always in stable, controllable flight but would flutter - which isnā€™t an exact term. We all learned with this discourse.

Reactions: jeff Voigt
As far as VRS, there's a reason that on a lot of DJI drones, you can go up faster than you can come down. Whatever they do with motor placement helps, but they still have to limit the max descent speed to prevent VRS. One thing I've found on my Air 2 at least, is that you can descend faster when flying forwards in sport mode than when hovering. I assume this is because they know VRS is not possible when flying at any high speed. It does act like it is coming close to VRS though when you suddenly stop flying forwards while descending in sport mode. Just some observations.

Reactions: DougMcC and Wade L.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rugnrollseo