DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update from 01.01.0100 to 01.01.0100 ?

akdrone

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I updated to 01.01.0100 and subsequently had an issue or two with my new M3Pro and refreshed via the DJI Assistant 2 (Consumer Drone Series) app and then some days later I got a notice on my screen about a Update and I confirmed. It started out at 72% and completed it and it was of course still at 01.01.0100. Today I got the same notice about an update and it was the same thing. It started at 72%, completed it and I'm at the same version. What's up? Do another refresh?? Anyone else seen this kind of thing or am I special? :)

@akdrone that update starting around the 70% mark is what usually happens when the batteries get updated during a firmware update ,it will stop after all the batteries that you use in the drone have been updated,

thanks. I cross posted to the DJI forums and they mentioned your famous ...rear...here.. :) will now go and check all my batteries have in fact been updated. It was nice to know when they actually told you it was a battery update. Sheesh...

Any chance you are using batteries that also flew with a Mavic 3?

Battery compatibility? (DJI Forum)

I am using my batteries from my Mavic 3 and had to do the update for each of the batteries.
Will the Mavic 3 Pro refuse to fly with un-updated Mavic 3 batteries? Almost all prior battery firmware mismatches were mere preferences, triggering warnings that could simply be ignored.

Is this any different?

What could the battery FW update possibly do that would make it required for flight in a different drone model? What is so special about this update, unless it is installing some Trojan Horse poison pill to force RID on older Mavic 3's after September 16th!

Assuming it is mandatory, how can one do the update in the field when switching the batteries between drones off the grid using the RC Pro? When the RC Pro was first made compatible with the Air 2S, a small FW update file stored on the RC Pro had to run each time one switched between the Mavic 3 and the Air 2S. Is this not similar?

Phantom 4 and Phantom 4 Pro batteries never required any mandatory battery FW update's when they were switched between drones. The Phantom 4 batteries could be seamlessly used in the P4P, and the larger capacity P4P batteries could be seamlessly used in the P4.

Same with the Mini 3 Pro batteries, with regular batteries and Plus batteries. No battery FW updates are required to use either one.

Last edited:
Reactions: vtcats
Will the Mavic 3 Pro refuse to fly with un-updated Mavic 3 batteries? Almost all prior battery firmware mismatches were mere preferences, triggering warnings that could simply be ignored.

Is this any different?

What could the battery FW update possibly do that would make it required for flight in a different drone model? What is so special about this update, unless it is installing some Trojan Horse poison pill to force RID on older Mavic 3's after September 16th!

Assuming it is mandatory, how can one do the update in the field when switching the batteries between drones off the grid using the RC Pro? When the RC Pro was first made compatible with the Air 2S, a small FW update file stored on the RC Pro had to run each time one switched between the Mavic 3 and the Air 2S. Is this not similar?

Phantom 4 and Phantom 4 Pro batteries never required any mandatory battery FW update's when they were switched between drones. The Phantom 4 batteries could be seamlessly used in the P4P, and the larger capacity P4P batteries could be seamlessly used in the P4.

Same with the Mini 3 Pro batteries, with regular batteries and Plus batteries. No battery FW updates are required to use either one.
Not sure - I have updated all of my batteries so I should shove one into my Mavic 3 and see what it does. I will try this later today and report back.

If I recall correctly from past experience the update warning doesn’t stop you from flying with a battery. In the past the warning specified it was for batteries and that it would take about a minute. Now, when it no longer stated that and simply said there was an update I was confused and thought something had gone wrong with my previous update procedure. I think I have had the battery warning in the past and blown it off because I was off wifi and concerned it would take too much time and data. Why DJI changed the warning is beyond me but DJI does enough things right I’ll forgive them :).

Reactions: GadgetGuy
When I first got my 3 Pro I of course applied the updates which included one of my Mavic 3 batteries since it was already charged. I later flew with one of the Mavic 3 batteries that I had not updated and didn't even notice the update prompt. It did seem like the charge went down a bit faster than I was expecting but otherwise worked just fine.

I didn't even know the batteries needed an update until I read the engineering response over on the DJI forum in the link I posted above. When I went back to check my batteries I saw the update notice and got the same behavior you noted - the update starts at 72% and finishes rather quickly.

Glad to hear that it isn't compulsory, requiring switching FW each time the batteries are swapped between Mavic 3 Pro and Mavic 3. The "a bit faster" charge reduction on the Mavic 3 Pro is to be expected, and should be about 7% (43 mins vs. 46 mins), unless the FW update alters the calculation algorithm.

Glad to hear that it isn't compulsory, requiring switching FW each time the batteries are swapped between Mavic 3 Pro and Mavic 3. The "a bit faster" charge reduction on the Mavic 3 Pro is to be expected, and should be about 7% (43 mins vs. 46 mins), unless the FW update alters the calculation algorithm.

I think there is at least a possibility that the firmware update alters the calculation algorithm. For the flight I cited above seat of the pants said I should have finished with about 60% battery and it showed 35%. I was going to plug one of the updated batteries into my Mavic 3 today to see what happens but ended up wandering off to play in the Columbia River Gorge with my Mavic 3 Pro instead. I wanted the better cameras up there.

I think there is at least a possibility that the firmware update alters the calculation algorithm. For the flight I cited above seat of the pants said I should have finished with about 60% battery and it showed 35%. I was going to plug one of the updated batteries into my Mavic 3 today to see what happens but ended up wandering off to play in the Columbia River Gorge with my Mavic 3 Pro instead. I wanted the better cameras up there.
I acknowledge the possibility, too, but other batteries of differing capacities relative to the drone have managed to be fully compatible without FW updates after swaps, like the P4P batteries being used in the P4 and P4 batteries in the P4P, and the Mini 2 Pro accepting two different capacity batteries.

Eager to hear the results of your test, when you get a chance.

I acknowledge the possibility, too, but other batteries of differing capacities relative to the drone have managed to be fully compatible without FW updates after swaps, like the P4P batteries being used in the P4 and P4 batteries in the P4P, and the Mini 2 Pro accepting two different capacity batteries.

Eager to hear the results of your test, when you get a chance.
When I updated my M3 to 01.01.0100 I was never prompted to do a "partial update" for every battery. Done the update with one and that was it.

Last edited:
When I updated my M3 to 01.10.0100 I was never prompted to do a "partial update" for every battery. Done with one of my 3 batteries and that was it.
When you updated your Mavic 3 Pro, or your Mavic 3? I'm confused.
I assume you meant Mavic 3 Pro. Assuming that is the case, are you able to fly the Mavic 3 Pro with Mavic 3 batteries that have not been updated in any way?

I fired up my Mavic 3 this afternoon using one of the batteries I did the Mavic 3 Pro upgrades on and it worked without a whimper. I opted to pair my old Mavic 3 to the RC controller instead of unbinding things on the RC Pro (awfully glad I have the RC Pro after using the RC) and had no issues or prompts to change the battery firmware at all while flying the Mavic 3.

Looks transparent to me for swapping them once all of the batteries are set up for the Mavic 3 Pro.

I'm flying my Mavic 3 Cine on the RC controller that came with my Mavic 3 Pro and flying the Mavic 3 Pro with the RC Pro that came with the Cine. I have no issues at all with 7 batteries on either bird with either controller.

So the question remains as to whether the Mavic 3 Pro will fly using Mavic 3 batteries, even after prompting for a battery FW update, so that the prompt can be completely ignored, and the Mavic 3 batteries left unaltered.

My concern with updating battery FW on Mavic 3 batteries for use in the Mavic 3 Pro, and then using them in a Mavic 3 that has not yet been FW updated to broadcast RID, is that it may introduce a Trojan horse poison pill "virus" into the Mavic 3 that may disable flying it after September 16th.

I sandbox all my drones into independent systems, so that no DJI future changes can be forced upon them that alters the original functionality. That means dedicated RC's and tablets that are never updated in any way. Sharing batteries among two different drone models after a mandatory battery update (if it is, in fact, mandatory, and cannot be ignored), is like sharing needles among drug addicts!

Fortunately, I have 3 extra, as yet unused Mavic 3 batteries that I can dedicate to the Mavic 3 Pro as necessary, but I would like to know if that will be necessary.

Reactions: KS-6
So the question remains as to whether the Mavic 3 Pro will fly using Mavic 3 batteries, even after prompting for a battery FW update, so that the prompt can be completely ignored, and the Mavic 3 batteries left unaltered.

My concern with updating battery FW on Mavic 3 batteries for use in the Mavic 3 Pro, and then using them in a Mavic 3 that has not yet been FW updated to broadcast RID, is that it may introduce a Trojan horse poison pill "virus" into the Mavic 3 that may disable flying it after September 16th.

I sandbox all my drones into independent systems, so that no DJI future changes can be forced upon them that alters the original functionality. That means dedicated RC's and tablets that are never updated in any way. Sharing batteries among two different drone models after a mandatory battery update (if it is, in fact, mandatory, and cannot be ignored), is like sharing needles among drug addicts!

Fortunately, I have 3 extra, as yet unused Mavic 3 batteries that I can dedicate to the Mavic 3 Pro as necessary, but I would like to know if that will be necessary.
Well on that note, I bought Mavic 3 drones specifically to be my official RID birds. My other 2 drones are a different story, are sandboxed and then some…

Well on that note, I bought Mavic 3 drones specifically to be my official RID birds. My other 2 drones are a different story, are sandboxed and then some…
Understood. However, I have reserved my original Mavic 3 to be RID free, with a Mavic 3 Refurb already updated. Still want to keep it that way. Plenty of other birds without RID, too! P4P's and M2P's!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
instaproapk