DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Update from CAA for UK pilots

scro

Reactions
the CAA has just issued an update on proposed changes to regulations which might be of interest to UK based pilots:

Some points I picked up form a very quick read that were of interest to me:
  • the regulations won't be changing in July 2020 as previously proposed. This has been delayed until at least 1 Nov 2020.
  • MTOM has been revised to "flying weight" for what will become legacy aircraft, or where no official MTOM has been published by the manufacturer. (good news for Mavic mini owners like me :) )

Last edited:
Reactions: SMLP
Looks like the consultation with the model flying associations (eg BMFA, FPVUK etc) is working well. The changes simply and make the regulations better for all. Whilst some might like a wild west approach, splitting it into classes does mean those of us operating with smaller, lighter (and cheaper) drones aren't bound by regulations that only make sense for big heavy commercial ones.

I've got a CAA Operator ID on my Mini (and my Hubsan H501S, and on some of my fixed wing planes and what remains of my heli), and do like to stick to the rules. I'd rather not be the one hobbyist who causes injury to a person and has the government react with massive restrictions. At the moment registration is cheap and easy and the CAA and government are working with the hobby associations to let us enjoy flying.

Reactions: mithatrone
I have the CAA operator ID.

Under the new rulings, if I want to fly over a building in my control what is the minimum allowed distance vertically and horizontally please.

Presumably, as it is at present.

Last edited:
Personally I'm fairly happy with the direction the proposed changes are taking. They seem to be taking a pragmatic and positive view of drones and striking a sensible balance between letting hobbyists have fun, commercial pilots to do their work and public safety/privacy, while not burdening all down with draconian rules.

Reactions: BrianTM
I have the CAA operator ID.

Under the new rulings, if I want to fly over a building in my control what is the minimum allowed distance vertically and horizontally please.

Presumably, as it is at present.
Currently it depends on what's surrounding that building. If my house was away out in an empty field I could fly around/over it as close as I like. If my house is in a built up area then I can't as I'd be too close to uninvolved 3rd parties.

The new rules don't appear to to specify how far away from buildings you need to keep, as the focus is more on safety of people. Have a read of page 42 in the link above to get the CAA's words rather than mine on the topic. The impression I get is the new rules are a lot less demanding with regards to distances from buildings.

Reactions: deltamike
Currently it depends on what's surrounding that building. If my house was away out in an empty field I could fly around/over it as close as I like. If my house is in a built up area then I can't as I'd be too close to uninvolved 3rd parties.

The new rules don't appear to to specify how far away from buildings you need to keep, as the focus is more on safety of people. Have a read of page 42 in the link above to get the CAA's words rather than mine on the topic. The impression I get is the new rules are a lot less demanding with regards to distances from buildings.

Thank you. Thats the impression I have too.

Last edited:
Reactions: scro
The new rules are saying that you shouldn't fly within 150 metres of a residential, commercial or recreation area without the correct qualification/class of drone.

I have yet to see a definition of what is a residential area though.

Reactions: scro
The new rules are saying that you shouldn't fly within 150 metres of a residential, commercial or recreation area without the correct qualification/class of drone.

I have yet to see a definition of what is a residential area though.
They’ve removed the term ‘residential area' and replaced it with 'buildings' and 'built up areas'. Built up areas is only slightly less ambiguous than ‘residential'.

They’ve removed the term ‘residential area' and replaced it with 'buildings' and 'built up areas'. Built up areas is only slightly less ambiguous than ‘residential'.

Not in the CAP1789 released today which states
"A3 subcategory operations are not permitted to take place within 150 m horizontally of any residential, commercial, industrial or recreational areas."

A3 obviously being the open category that any "legacy" drones >250g being sold today will be in as they aren't eligible to be flown under A1/A2 rules.

I totally get what they are trying to do, which is making it the risker a flight is, the safer the drone and operator has to be and conversely making a lower risk flight (eg with a lighter/softer drone) have less regulations.

The things that concern me are that all the legislation is becoming more complicated (the existing drone code being relatively simple and if you want to do more you do the PfCO certifications), and also the fact that existing drones will be unable to fly under anything but A3 rules in 2 years time. That is both rapid and harsh.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NIKLM