DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Uploading Footage to Youtube UK

TotalExposure

Reactions
Hi all, just a quick question before I get started.
I am new to the drone club, I purchased my drone to take my photography and now videography to the next level.
My question is if you hypothetically make a video with the intention of just sharing your work with others and upload to YouTube do you require a PfCO?

Best regards

Based on what you have said - No ... It's when you start to use those video's to advertise the product/services of you or someone you know - then it gets into PfCO. In those cases, even if you don't take a fee, it can be argued that the footage is being used for 'commercial' purposes.

Reactions: TotalExposure
Based on what you have said - No ... It's when you start to use those video's to advertise the product/services of you or someone you know - then it gets into PfCO. In those cases, even if you don't take a fee, it can be argued that the footage is being used for 'commercial' purposes.

Oh ok, how about (I don’t know how it works) if youtube start playing adverts in your video and then pay you for that? I guess this might be a bit of a grey area as you are t being paid for the content just advertising?

I was hoping you wouldn't mention that (it came to mind as I wrote #2) ... I've never seen that aspect contested before - but if that's the case, we are all going to need PfCO! :eek:
I really don't think you are going to have any agency going into that depth of investigation ... But as you say, it's actually not your content that is generating the income, it's the 3rd party advertising generated by somebody else.

Oh ok, how about (I don’t know how it works) if youtube start playing adverts in your video and then pay you for that? I guess this might be a bit of a grey area as you are t being paid for the content just advertising?

I have seen some suggest that using a very strict interpretation of the regs this is the case but I’m also pretty sure the CAA has better things to be doing.

Further, even if the CAA really wanted to hunt you down then I know the local plod have something better to be doing. I can imagine the phone call now!

If the flight is otherwise safe and in accordance with the regs I really don’t think there’ll be an issue. If you did a fly past of Heathrow or a time lapse of a match at Old Trafford I’d imagine the outcome would be different.

I have seen some suggest that using a very strict interpretation of the regs this is the case but I’m also pretty sure the CAA has better things to be doing.

Further, even if the CAA really wanted to hunt you down then I know the local plod have something better to be doing. I can imagine the phone call now!

If the flight is otherwise safe and in accordance with the regs I really don’t think there’ll be an issue. If you did a fly past of Heathrow or a time lapse of a match at Old Trafford I’d imagine the outcome would be different.

What do you mean you can’t fly directly over the top of the busiest airport in the UK, I was planning on hovering about 40ft above the runway.
Well that’s scuppered my plan
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
(This is a joke, just in case)

On a serious note - just so you know where those areas are (where you can't hover your drone over the runway!), get the NATS Drone Assist app' so at least you know where the no-fly and caution zones are.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000